Menu

Oh, rats. I just realized King Arthur Flour probably has GMO wheat-is that right?

I'm trying to examine the things in our diet to get rid of GMOs where possible. We're mostly organic, but I regularly use King Arthur white wheat flour for baking when I'm too busy to grind my wheat (which is very often :)). I use the unbleached white occasionally too.

Now I'm realizing this may be GMO wheat. Does anyone know? I couldn't find anything on the website, unfortunately.

A statement on the King Arthur website reads:

Because of the many uncertainties surrounding genetically modified wheat, and based on input from our customers and employee-owners, King Arthur Flour does not support the introduction of genetically modified wheat, nor its use in King Arthur flours. For more than 200 years, King Arthur Flour has provided customers with flour products that are pure and naturally wholesome. Using genetically modified wheat as the basis for King Arthur flours would run counter to our centuries-old commitment to natural quality, so we don’t do it, plain and simple.

Feel better?

I've heard, but don't know whether it is true that the government discourages or will not allow (I'm not sure which) companies from putting that on their packaging. I think they tell them they would have to "prove it". The reason the government doesn't want non-gmo on packaging is because it will show up how much gmo stuff there is.

Again, I don't know how much of that is true or just speculation.

Yes, I had to cross Kashi off my list when a friend told me that :glare:

The good news is that I hope the backlash will cause Kashi to consider cleaning up their practices.

We can't eat 100% organic, so I wish companies like KA and Kashi would maintain decent standards so I could buy from them.

I wish someone would test the King Arthur flours like that-it would be interesting to see what they find.

I've heard, but don't know whether it is true that the government discourages or will not allow (I'm not sure which) companies from putting that on their packaging. I think they tell them they would have to "prove it". The reason the government doesn't want non-gmo on packaging is because it will show up how much gmo stuff there is.

Again, I don't know how much of that is true or just speculation.

I think this is right.

Not that anything else would convince you, but here is a post from KAF on their FB page. As of 8/11: "We do not use GMO wheat in our products (in fact, there is no GMO wheat in commercial production in the U.S. at this time), and we are working to ensure that U.S.-grown non-GMO wheat will be available for generations to come. You can read more about our commitment here: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/about/product-commitment.html

Thanks again for asking us about this. -Allison"

I get being cynical but I don't understand why you would word the title of your post to say that they "probably" use GMO wheat.

I actually called King Arthur this week about exactly this. The lady who answered assured me that none of their products were from GMO.

I was curious as I went to the website nonGMOproject.com and couldn't find them.

Not that anything else would convince you, but here is a post from KAF on their FB page. As of 8/11: "We do not use GMO wheat in our products (in fact, there is no GMO wheat in commercial production in the U.S. at this time), and we are working to ensure that U.S.-grown non-GMO wheat will be available for generations to come. You can read more about our commitment here: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/about/product-commitment.html

Thanks again for asking us about this. -Allison"

I get being cynical but I don't understand why you would word the title of your post to say that they "probably" use GMO wheat.

My dh works for a conventional wheat farmer and that is what I thought but I didn't say so because I wasn't positive. Also conventional wheat, though not organic, is fairly minimally sprayed compared to other crops at least around here.

I wrote "probably" when I couldn't find anything on their site either way, so I was just assuming (which I see wasn't necessarily right to do, based on people's later responses about GMO labeling, etc.)

Thanks for the Facebook info-that was good.

I'm glad to know about the minimally spraying, etc too, thanks!

It is harder than ever to avoid GMO food.

My understanding is that only Organic labeled food is absolutely non GMO.

We cannot find or afford all organic foods.

I read the book by Stoneyfield CEO and it is sad how big companies are buying out organic and natural companies.

Kellog's bought out Kashi :( , even Danon owns Stoneyfield, but SF made the deal with the least invasion of control.

Basically, we have to research and voice our concern as much as possible.

We are having a grass fed calf slaughtered, buy OG fruits, and some veggies.

We are also planning a bigger garden this year.

KAF has organic flour, but not in any of our local stores.

I did wonder about the regular flour, because my dh only likes white flour to make his biscuits. We have tried KAF and like it.