Menu

Is anyone else going to the USA Science & Engineering Festival in D.C.

besroma

We literally just got back from the Sneak Preview. IT WAS AWESOME! We could totally go back and spend another full day and not do everything... but considering the crowds (and how I hate rushing after soccer), we'll probably skip it... despite the fact that my kids were sad that they weren't there to see Adam and Jamie or Bill Nye... Last time the lines for Bill Nye snaked all over the mall practically so I can't even imagine... I'm glad we got to do the much less crowded Sneak Preview instead.

HgWe just got back from it, too! It's HUGE! We really enjoyed it...until my four year old DD got lost. Scariest 30 minutes in my life lately. Security was so helpful, and she's fine. It may take mom a glass of wine or two to recover fully!

Wow! I am so sorry! I am glad you found her. I'm sure she'll get a few extra hugs and kisses tonight. ;)

We just found out today about the Sneak Preview, so we will probably check that out next year since we usually try to avoid the crowds.

We are excited!

Has anyone else been to both....the Sneak Preview and a regular today to compare?

ETA: Any suggestions regarding food and parking?

Edited by besroma

Thanks! My heartrate is finally back to normal.

We brought our own lunches, which was fine. No security checks of bags. We parked in a small lot on New York Ave, just 1/2 block from the main entrance. It was $20 for the day. Expensive, but very easy and no worries about feeding the meter. The best route in from the south or west was taking 395 in, getting off at Mass. Ave, taking a right on 6th, and then left on New York Ave. Getting home was even faster. New York Ave. straight to 395 North.

I would Metro in. But then, that's always my solution. The lines for food were absurdly long (and at one point they ran out of cash at one place, someone told me!) so I'd bring lunch. You can eat in the hall, so there's no worries about that.

This is only the second time this event has been held, by the way. We went two years ago when it was held on the mall. It was great, but there was no sneak peak that year, so that's brand new this time around.

I'm so sorry you lost one of your girls, Maria! Oh my! Did you hear the THREE announcements for the lost 5 yo that no one claimed for well over half an hour though? Good grief. I felt so bad for that schoolkid. So at least someone was worried about your missing one!

I really debated about going today but didn't want to get stuck in traffic coming back home. I was at the Kennedy Center for one of their educational shows for school age kids (awesome by the way if you can get 10 people together for the group rate). Afterward we went to Georgetown cupcakes instead. I'll check out the preview next year for the Science Festival that way I can plan better around traffic.

Check out my blog entry for a summary of my events today. We really enjoyed the Georgetown Cupcakes visit. If you leave a comment on my blog it will make my day.:001_smile: