Menu

s/o: Holes in shirts

I wear cotton t-shirts and I:  

1. 1. I wear cotton t-shirts and I:

• Get holes in the belly area and I am thin
    • Get holes in the belly area and I am not thin
    • Do not get holes in the belly area and I am thin
    • Do not get holes in the belly area and I am not thin

I have the same problem as Joann, with my cotton t-shirts getting holes around the belly button area. It must be mechanical, because it's only in one spot, and I figure the fabric must be different, since it seems to be a new problem. I'm wondering if this is more likely to happen to those of us whose belly might be just a little on the protuberant side, :o as this would cause more rubbing on counters, etc. It never happened when I was skinny, although if it's because of a change in fabric this wouldn't matter.

So, I'm posting an anonymous poll for those of us that wear cotton t-shirts. :) Give me a minute.

Edited by Perry

I don't get holes and I'm not thin. In fact, I've only heard of the hole problem on this forum.

If they're around the belly-button, that's above the waistband for most people. Otherwise, I would think the waistband (or button or buttonhole or zipper) of the pants might be to blame. Right at belly button? No idea.

Maybe from a seatbelt? Of course your seatbelt should be lower than your belly button, but many people position it incorrectly.

I do not get them; my sister does.

I usually have lycra in my shirts; my sister does not.

Neither of us use chemicals or bleach on our counters.

Neither of us tuck in the shirts.

I fold in fourths, she folds both sides in then in half.

I use the dryer, she often hangs to dry (inside).

Neither of us have moths (which wouldn't explain location anyway).

Both of us have mostly decent quality brands.

Seatbelt rubbing on pants button maybe? But I drive a lot more than she does.

Edited by askPauline

I have the same problem as the OP. Small holes in the belly area only, I am not thin. My shirts aren't tight and stretched across my belly, either. I thought it was from rubbing against the kitchen counter while doing dishes or maybe the shirts were getting caught in my zipper. This is a new (within the last year) problem. I hang dry my clothes.

I've never heard of them until this forum either. I almost exclusively wear cotton or cotton mixes. I am not thin. I wash most of my clothes on delicate and drip dry. I rarely clean with bleach as I am sensitive to odors. I've lived in a warm climate and a 4 season climate.

Oh, this drives me so crazy! I am thin and I have had so many shirts with holes appearing around the belly area. I have gotten rid of so many shirts, that I loved because of this. Most all of mine have been from Eddie Bauer, J Crew, and Ann Taylor Loft.

I have assumed mine is because I lean against the tile counter when I am washing dishes and my shirt often gets damp and then rubs. But I know there has to be more to it than that because my dh has a few tshirts with it and my ds has had a couple. It stinks!

I do and I'm thin. I think it is either the soft cotton rubbing against the middle/top part of my jeans (right above the button) or the fact that I stand in front of a kitchen counter (what seems like) 1/4 of the day and my body touches the counter at that spot. Most likely a combination of the two.

I do not get them; my sister does.

I usually have lycra in my shirts; my sister does not.

Neither of us use chemicals or bleach on our counters.

Neither of us tuck in the shirts.

I fold in fourths, she folds both sides in then in half.

I use the dryer, she often hangs to dry (inside).

Neither of us have moths (which wouldn't explain location anyway).

Both of us have mostly decent quality brands.

Seatbelt rubbing on pants button maybe? But I drive a lot more than she does.

This is almost a poem or a song! :lol:

I get holes in the same place on many of my shirts. I assume there is something small on a counter or other edge that I bump against that I snag the shirt on, but I don't know where it is in my house.

I don't know how to answer the poll since I'm not really thin or not-so-thin. I'm kind of in the middle.

The holes I have seen here I blame on cheaper fabrics. They have shown up in the girls' clothes, and not really in the belly area (1 sleeve, 1 back that I can immediately recall). It seems to be a common problem for that thin fabric that is now used all over the place--Old Navy and Lands End shirts here. I'm trying to avoid that fabric as much as possible.

I do and I'm thin. I think it is either the soft cotton rubbing against the middle/top part of my jeans (right above the button) or the fact that I stand in front of a kitchen counter (what seems like) 1/4 of the day and my body touches the counter at that spot. Most likely a combination of the two.

:iagree:Im wearing one right now and the holes seem to be clustered right around the spot where the top of my jeans , above the button, sticks out a bit. I've been trying not lean against the counter when doing dishes. Hopefully my new shirts will stay hole-free. I wear jeans almost daily, as does a friend with the same issue.