Menu

Please pray for us...

I'll give some info, and not go into great detail (you'd be bored), but our family could use some prayers.

First situation: dh is the pastor of our tiny congregation (church plant), and we are all discouraged because our church is not growing; in fact, it is dwindling. We've lost a few who went on to find a church that was a better fit for them, but most of the people who've left are couples & families who have been transferred to other jobs or even ministry positions in other parts of the state. Dh is questioning his leadership abilities, etc.

Second situation: dh's company (he is self-employed & it's a fairly new company -- about 5 years old) has a very slow time, financially speaking, every summer. The rest of the year is much better, but not enough that we can save anything for the leaner times. He has not drawn a paycheck this month, (although his employees have) and we have bills due (a couple are actually past due). Our church doesn't pay a regular salary either. We received some "windfall" money a few months ago which dh & I had agreed ahead of time to set aside to buy ER a car since he'll be going off to college in a couple of months. We recently bought the car (used, not new, & a great deal --just what we'd been praying for). We could've used some of that money to pay bills instead of buying the car, but decided against it because we had already committed to ourselves and to ER that this money would be for a car. We feel that we made the right decision, but there's no denying that things are difficult. Dh's confidence is shaken.

So now, we find ourselves in an uncomfortable financial situation, and also discouraged because of our church situation. Please pray for us.

I'll pray for you. I know all about discouragement right now. :grouphug:

I hope you find the light at the end of your tunnel. Know that you're not alone and this too shall pass.

Sorry, not very encouraging, I know. I'm kinda bummed about a few things myself. But you will be in my prayers. :001_smile:

Prayed for you.

Is there someone who could mentor your dh? I know how wonderful it can be to have an older pastor come alongside and provide feedback and accountability.

Also, can you perhaps "put the word out" to one or two of your senior staff that things are tight? There may be someone who's waiting to hear from God just what to do with that extra, unexpected $ he received this weeK!!

...many would consider dh the "older pastor". Many ministers (not just pastors) have sought dh's guidance in countless situations because he has seen so much in his years in ministry: he entered ministry as a youth minister 30 years ago at age 18, and since then, he has served as pastor of several churches, and has also served in other positions within our denomination. He has an accountability network, and has been keeping in touch with those guys on a regular basis all along.

As for "senior staff" at our church, there is no senior staff. Our church is TINY (less than 20 people on a 'good' Sunday). We're really more like a Bible study group that meets on Sunday mornings in someone's home. During our worship time, dh teaches, and ER plays guitar & leads us in a few worship songs.

I know that dh is overwhelmed and maybe burned out. Ministry is so draining, not to mention being bi-vocational and having a start-up business. We've always lived paycheck-to-paycheck, and now that we're in our late 40s and still struggling, it's hard not to think that it was just meant to be this way for us.

Thanks, everybody, for your prayers. It really does help to know that somewhere, someone is praying.