Menu

If you've ever used zucchini as "pasta"

Raw zucchini goes through a spiralizer quite easily. Sorry I can't link to our (cheap one from Amazon.com) but the iPad is acting up. It's then like spaghetti or vermicelli. Takes about 5 minutes, and there's no cooking pan to wash, unless you cook up a sauce. You can also make a raw sauce and have this as a totally raw dish. Perfect for hot weather, which is when the zucchini glut occurs.

It never even occurred to me to cook it first. Or later, for that matter. I thought raw was considered normal.

Edited by GailV

This is exactly what I did - shredded it, steamed it just a couple minutes, then mashed it between paper towels to get the water out. It was SO good with the sauce! I never expected it.

I have issues with the spaghetti squash because the shreds are so thin. The zucchini was a bit more substantial.

Just for fun we did a little "raw food" experimentation earlier this year. One item that has stayed in the regular rotation was zucchini "pasta."

I did not cook it. I ran cut mine into very thin strips using a French mandoline. Then I dressed the strips with a little olive oil and turmeric. The turmeric helped give the "pasta" a nice golden color. Then I sauced with pesto, but one could use anything.

I think zucchini pasta is quite good. Try to choose relatively small ones.

Bill

I'm thinking I need one of those. I'd LOVE to not cook it. Actually, I could probably have left it raw shredded. I wondered if it would be too firm, or if the sauce would "soften" it a bit.

Sauces do soften the raw zucchini pasta, and fairly quickly.

Bill

When I make spaghetti noodles with the mandoline slicer, I cook it in a little oil and with some garlic. I like it very al-dente still, so I don't cook too far. I also find it's a much better texture when I don't slice up the seedy middles so I slice up the outer layers until I get to the seeds and then freeze the middles for green smoothies. Takes a lot more zuchinni to make a family sized serving but, if you grow it, you know that isn't a bad thing.

My family loves zucchini pasta. I cut the zucchini raw using this spiral slicer. Then I toss it in a pan with olive oil and cut up tomatoes for 2-3 minutes to warm it up. When everyone is seated and ready to eat I add warm tomato sauce on top. If I mix the sauce in too early it tends to get soggy and loose that pasta texture.