Menu

Washing Machine Recommendations

So, our washing machine is slowly starting to die. We have already replaced one part, now we have two others that have died. We are at the point that we feel it would be best to say farewell. It is 7 years old and is used atleast once a day, typically twice a day with my family.

What are your recommendations? What have you loved, what have you hated? I would love one of the largest capacity that is available but am shocked at the prices :/

I have a 7 year old Whirlpool Duet front loader. It is definitely a work horse. We have used it so much we had to replace the hinge on the door and the handle this year. We replaced the pump 2 years ago it was $100 and dh was able to replace it in 20 min with just a screw driver and wrench. It got me through 4 total years of cloth diapers :D

I have a 7 year old Whirlpool Duet front loader. It is definitely a work horse. We have used it so much we had to replace the hinge on the door and the handle this year. We replaced the pump 2 years ago it was $100 and dh was able to replace it in 20 min with just a screw driver and wrench. It got me through 4 total years of cloth diapers :D

Thanks, we have replaced our water pump already as well :) Sounds like a common issue with heavy washing! Thank you for your recommendation!

Our Kenmore died of a worn out transmission after a little over 5 years. We bought a Speed Queen 3 weeks ago and absolutely love it. It is basic, but gets the job done wonderfully. The sales person told us that it is the best and most reliable washing machine that they sell. I found out about it on this board so you may want to search some of the other threads about washing machines.

Thanks, we have replaced our water pump already as well :) Sounds like a common issue with heavy washing! Thank you for your recommendation!

It may not have broke if it hadn't had 3 pens, 5 paperclips, a bra wire (I wondered where that went!) and $3.56 worth of change inside of it :tongue_smilie:

I hate my Whirlpool top-loading washer (purchased a few months ago.) It was the least expensive, large capacity washer. I am not sure if this is the model number, but it is all I'm seeing that might be one: W10280544D. It is LOUD, and has a locking mechanism on the lid. If you miss a item and want to add it after the machine has been locked, there is an unlock button, but this seems to confuse it and it delays washing for several minutes. The manual also directs you to 1) add detergent 2) add laundry 3) adjust setting and start. This means that you place your detergent into a DRY washer and put the laundry on top. It only fills with water when the lid is locked. I have not had any problems with concentrated detergent "staining" the laundry, but I really don't like putting everything in a dry tub. Maybe I'm being to harsh on my poor machine, but if I had to do over I would not purchase this model.

I hated my Whirlpool front loading washer and did a happy dance when it died. I now have a top loading Samsung that I love:001_wub: My clothes are much cleaner and it doesn't get that funky smell my front loader used to get. I do 3-4 loads of laundry a day and my Samsung is awesome.

Our Kenmore died of a worn out transmission after a little over 5 years. We bought a Speed Queen 3 weeks ago and absolutely love it. It is basic, but gets the job done wonderfully. The sales person told us that it is the best and most reliable washing machine that they sell. I found out about it on this board so you may want to search some of the other threads about washing machines.

I just posted on another washing machine thread this morning. I just bought a Speed Queen after much research. I've only had it for 2 days, but I'm loving it. :) I got the AFN542 I believe.

Another vote for Speed Queen. My son just bought me one on Monday. He is the type to research things to death and after much thought he purchased their basic top loading model.

I used to own the Whirlpool with the locking lid.:banghead: It drove me nuts and when the lid refused to lock, the washer wouldn't work at all. I had an electrician friend fix it for me, but then it started having all kinds of other electrical problems. I had to babysit it to get it through a cycle. Never again!!!!

Another vote for Speed Queen. My son just bought me one on Monday. He is the type to research things to death and after much thought he purchased their basic top loading model.

I'm hoping to get a Speed Queen sometime soon - dh's best friend is an appliance repairman and thinks highly of them. My current washer was the least expensive one we could get at the time, and has a plastic drum which collects odors and the Speed Queen is metal.

my whirlpool is over 12 years old and still going strong. :) Love it!

I have no idea what model it is, but I doubt they make it anymore. It does not lock the lid. That sounds like a super annoying feature that would drive me batty!

Edited by fairfarmhand

Don't get a Maytag Bravos top loading no agitator washer. I have one and it rips holes in our clothes! (In fact, I just posted about this. I wish mine was dying.)

I have a Whirpool Cabrio top loading no agitator. It does the same. hate it. I also have a Samsung front loader. Love that machine!

My washing machine died too. It's a Magic Chef 20 lb washer that we paid about $300 for 18 years ago. I'm still in denial that she's gone. I've been washing at the laundromat and drying at home for a few weeks trying to make a decision. It's not as bad as it sounds. I'm out of the house for one hour and all of the clothes are clean, then I bring them home and dry the rest of the day. (not nearly as inconvenient as when the dishwasher died!) my kids are big, so no issues leaving them home.

I'm going to call in a repairman for a couple things, and if the washer can't be resurrected I'm going to go for the speed queen.

We have a Whirlpool Duet front loader. Love it!

It has lasted 10 years, through laundry for a family of eight, including cloth diapers for 5 children.

We bought the one with the internal heater that heats the water and does not rely on the temp of the water coming into the washer from your hot water heater.

Anyone have an HE top loader that they love? I love the thought of saving money on our water bill but I also want our clothes to come clean the first time.

The closest Speed Queen dealer is over an hour away and more expensive per size than I am willing to spend....

I am considering the new GE Adora 3.9 capacity at Home Depot. It has the agitator.

I am also considering a Maytag XL Bravos or a Samsung HE top loader...

there is SO much to consider. I hear of some who love their HE washers and some that claim there is no where near enough water to get them clean :/

I had a whirlpool cabrio and it was a piece of junk. It broke twice before the warranty was up.

A few months I bought a Speed Queen washer and dryer. I absolutely love these machines! I bought them because so many people on this forum recommend the brand..

My Speed Queen washer cleans better than the cabrio ever did. My clothes are fresh and clean. I also like that the wash cycle only takes 28 minutes. There isn't an annoying lid lock. That's one thing I hated about the cabrio it would take an hour for a regular wash cycle and the door would lock immediately so it was a pain to add things after the cycle had started.

Speed Queen comes with a three year warranty. :thumbup1:

Bought an LG top loader a few months ago. I'm enjoying it. The lid locks, but you can unlock it to add more clothes if you need to. If you don't think there is enough water in there, you can add more water. I love that I can easily wash my King size comforter. It also plays sweet music when the load is done. You can turn that off if you don't like it, but it brings me happiness when I need to tackle Mount Laundry. Actually, since I've had this machine, I haven't had quite the mountain. It's either that I can put more clothes in a load or I'm climbing an easy hill instead of dreading the mountain!

Bought an LG top loader a few months ago. I'm enjoying it. The lid locks, but you can unlock it to add more clothes if you need to. If you don't think there is enough water in there, you can add more water. I love that I can easily wash my King size comforter. It also plays sweet music when the load is done. You can turn that off if you don't like it, but it brings me happiness when I need to tackle Mount Laundry. Actually, since I've had this machine, I haven't had quite the mountain. It's either that I can put more clothes in a load or I'm climbing an easy hill instead of dreading the mountain!

so glad to hear your comments. Thank you!!! I am looking at an LG or a Kenmore Elite (this particular model is manufactured by LG) I currently have a LG dryer and I like the music it plays after its finished as well. I especially like it that it doesn't make me jump all over myself like some buzzers do but its more of a "oh, the laundry is done!" happy go lucky sound ha ha

i have samsung front loaders. they are quiet. make sure the rubber gaskets are kept clean on washer and keep door open when not in use. they say it could develop a funky smell if not. this is true on all front loaders. i have never had that problem since i keep the rubber thing clean. i don't like bosch and have used it before.