Menu

I am trying to find options for 8th grade physical science. I was planning to go with CPO but I not happy with the specialized equipment needed for the labs.

My plan, in terms of science, is to do physical science in 8th then attempt conceptual physics in 9th. Good thing I still have a couple years to plan!

So, I am sort of thinking that if CPO physics is off the table I might just load up on TOPS science units and maybe some sort of kit. I don't exactly know what I mean by 'kit' but I am sure there is something out there.

I also own the two upper level BFSU books. I could just work through the physical science parts of those. I am sure that would give me plenty to do.

And that leaves me with needing a text/s of some sort. We could use a CPO book just for reading.

Any thoughts or insights or suggestions?

Thanks for reading.

Doesn't Exploring Education have a physical science for older students? I am thinking off the cuff here and can't readily remember.

I think Nebel's BFSU .. (I have all three books) is outstanding and we use it alongside whatever else we are doing. This year we did all of BFSU I, then Part of BFSU II, The Elements from McHenry, then picked back up with BFSUII and CPO Life which I will continue through the summer. I will definitely finish out the BFSU series with III maybe next year alongside CPO Earth Science. I am in the process of putting together CPO Earth now and looking for resources, blog posts, etc. etc. etc. ;-)

Redsquirrel, while I have you here, did you use the Focus on series or the OTHER text from CPO? ha ha .. sorry for the derail!

Redsquirrel, while I have you here, did you use the Focus on series or the OTHER text from CPO? ha ha .. sorry for the derail!

I used the 'national' version of CPO earth and space. IOW, NOT the 'focus' version. And, I have a teacher text.

Ok, thanks for giving me so much to look into.

http://explorationeducation.com/

Do the Advanced version. It is self taught, all included. My 11 yo has been doing the 7th-10th (advanced) this year. Also, I recently learned that if you do the advanced (with all the book writing) it is a high school physical science credit. (150 instructional hours/40 lab hours).

If this doesn't look like what you want, the others seem good too! :D

Wow, I had no idea there was so much.

I had not considered Holt, but I am going to look into it.

I will also look into Glenco. I am using a Glencoe book for Spanish and I managed to find the 'wrap around teacher's text' and it is helpful. I am learning that I like a teacher's book or some sort of guidance for these classes.

And, I am def going to look at Derek Owens and exploration education. I always have it in my head that computer taught means no hands on, but I guess that doesn't have to be.

http://explorationeducation.com/

Do the Advanced version. It is self taught, all included. My 11 yo has been doing the 7th-10th (advanced) this year. Also, I recently learned that if you do the advanced (with all the book writing) it is a high school physical science credit. (150 instructional hours/40 lab hours).

Does the student read the material in the lessons or is there a voice, a recorded teacher, some level of interaction? Just trying to figure out.

WE just do it w/ my son reading it but for some reason, I'm thinking there was the option of having it read in the lower level. I have the Advanced version now and I don't think there is a reading option in that one or I at least haven't seen it.

Thanks for the info! I looked at it but didn't think that would make it a good fit. I ended up ordering some BJU physical science stuff. We're going to do just the labs and fill in with the text or library books as necessary to fill in the gaps. I've already got a copy of the lab manual and think I can make it work for that. Won't be perfect but will be adequate for our stage in life. The labs are the part she remembers anyway.

We used Concepts in Action, both with DIVE and without DIVE. I used a syllabus from a Catholic high school that I found online, but it isn't there anymore. CIA is the most demanding of the Physical Science books I've seen. It is written for 9th grade, assumes Algebra and has a lot of math. I liked it, but it was tough for my 8th grader. It was the only "B" I've had to him.

We used Concepts in Action, both with DIVE and without DIVE. I used a syllabus from a Catholic high school that I found online, but it isn't there anymore. CIA is the most demanding of the Physical Science books I've seen. It is written for 9th grade, assumes Algebra and has a lot of math. I liked it, but it was tough for my 8th grader. It was the only "B" I've had to him.

Hi Debbie,

Is this what your were looking for?

http://www.kolbe.org/Science-Curriculum/

No. It wasn't something you could buy. It was just a high school teacher that had a great detailed syllabus. The school's website is still there but his page is gone. He had all the labs, a schedule, homework assignments, links and more posted. It was a great resource. I downloaded most of it, but I can't pass it on to others now like I used to.

• 2 weeks later...
Does the student read the material in the lessons or is there a voice, a recorded teacher, some level of interaction? Just trying to figure out.

The student reads the material from a computer. Lots of examples and pictures. No voices =)

My 12 yo son is working through this even as I type =) He likes the hands-on projects, but has commented several times some of the concepts are clear. I feel a standard textbook as a spine would help fill in gaps.

Off to search for said physical science textbook.....

Grateful for grace,

Teresa in NC

Hewitt is THE name in physics. He has an excellent book, Conceptual Physics, that my son will be using next year in 9th. Happily, he also has a book on Physical Science. I've not used them yet, but have heard nothing but good things.

The Hewitt Physical Science is the condensed version of Conceptual Physics and Conceptual Chemistry. I think I actually have it downstairs. I figured I'd rather save Hewitt to do when we're doing a full physics. But that was just me. Our library system was able to get it, so it's the kind of thing you can preview and decide for yourself.