Menu

Suggestions for easy meals that my teens can cook?

I saw the podiatrists today about my broken foot. They said I can stay in my walking boot thing if I take it very easy and don't put weight on it. My other option was that they would do surgery and put screws in it. If I am not healed by my next appointment (in about a month), then they are going to want to do surgery. So, I *must* behave and take it easy.

My teens can already cook some things, and they do pretty well at those, but they are pretty simple meals. But, do you all have some more ideas? Thanks!

Edited by Mrs Mungo

BBQ Chicken Tacos:

Bake chicken breasts, then cut up and cook in BBQ sauce. Spoon into warm flour tortillas. Serve with a side of rice.

You can do the same thing with a variety of sauces with or without the tortillas. We do chicken fajitas the same way.

Sorry about your foot!! I don't know how easy you are thinking, but how about:

--BLT sandwiches with canned soup (we always did Campbell's beef & barley)

--tuna melts on English muffins (get fancy and add a slice of tomato beneath the cheese)

--taco night

--nacho night

--stick a roast in the Crock-Pot with a can of cream of mushroom soup

Hope this helps!

Christina

Can someone in the house safely operate a grill? I'd grill and freeze a lot of meats. Chicken breast, etc. cooked, sliced, and flash frozen. That could easily be turned into quesadillas, wraps, served over greens, served over pasta, kwim?

Grilled cheese and soup

egg salad

chicken salad (egg or chicken salad could be on bread, in pitas, on croissants, or over greens)

Store bought bag of meatballs with sauce and pasta

Chicken breasts and salsa in crockpot, shred, serve as burritos or taco salad

burgers-if you want to make it easy you could do pre-formed patties. Change it up and do chicken burgers vs. beef burgers, change the toppings, etc.

Sausage and onions and peppers in a skillet

Sausage sandwich-add spaghetti sauce and serve on a roll with a side salad

sausage with spaghetti or other pasta

sausage and broccoli (the sausage thing is handy IMO because some of them just need to be heated and served, and even if it needs to be fully cooked, you can just cook it in water on the stove til done. Pretty easy.

eta: frozen pizza, pizza made from store bought dough, pita pizzas

bratwurst and sauerkraut or fried cabbage

Edited by Momof3littles

Can someone in the house safely operate a grill? I'd grill and freeze a lot of meats. Chicken breast, etc. cooked, sliced, and flash frozen. That could easily be turned into quesadillas, wraps, served over greens, served over pasta, kwim?

I only have a charcoal grill, so I don't want the girls to have to mess with that. But, maybe I can catch dh when he is home/not working too late when he is home.

Thanks for all of the ideas so far! :)

We always have bags of pizza dough in the fridge (one pizza's worth in each bag). My son has to prepare the pan with olive oil and cornmeal, shape the dough, and do the topping. I assume your guys can turn on and off an oven and put things in and take things out of it safely.

My girls are 13 and 16, so they can do quite a lot. :)

• Baked Chicken.
  • Chicken parts with a can of chick/mush soup on top. Bake.
  • In the crock pot - put a chick breast, can of black beans, jar of salsa in it and cook on low for 4 hours. Later cook rice and then serve with sour cream.
  • Put a pork roast in a crock pot and pour on top a can of mushroom soup - onions are optional. Serve with boiled potatoes.
  • Spaghetti

A fast favorite here is to cut boneless chicken and zucchini into chunks and saute in a little olive oil. When it's done, toss with some cooked small cheese ravioli (you buy it fresh or frozen and just boil it) and toss with about 1/3 cup pesto. We keep the pesto in the freezer and scoop it out as needed. Toss it all together and sprinkle some parmesan on top. It reheats well, can be made with any pasta- even just rotini instead of a filled pasta, and you can add any other veggies you like. We've added mushrooms, onions, and strips of bell pepper. Truly a 15 minute meal.

My family likes chicken thighs cooked with bbq sauce on them, served with a salad or a starch. If I cook them in the crockpot, before I serve them I just broil them for a few minutes to crisp the skin and give them some color.

Tacos are easy for kids to make and they're great as leftovers.

Hope you heal quickly!!

The crockpot makes everything easy. Our teens like mexican chicken, chicken,4 cans of beans, 2 cans of corn garlic, onions, salsa, and any spices you like. We just use some taco sseasoning. White chile, regular chile, bbq sauce and pork, it all goes into the crockpot. Dd likes to cook and has found recipes on her own. I bet your girls do too. I'm sorry about the foot but avoiding surgery is nice. As long as they hand you the Mikes all will be well.

Do you have a griddle or panini press? Paninis and quesadillas are easy and can be made out of all kinds of ingredients/leftovers. Add a salad or steam-in-bag veggies and a fruit and there ya go.

I hope you are feeling better and the pain is manageable. You are smart to work hard at avoiding surgery.

Great ideas, everyone, I appreciate it. I'd love more, if anyone has any more! I'll give them the options; they can decide.

I hope you are feeling better and the pain is manageable. You are smart to work hard at avoiding surgery.

Well, last year 2 of our friends wound up with MRSA from foot/leg surgery. One of them is actually still fighting it, over a year after her surgery. So, I'm pretty paranoid about that now.

I would show them where the cookbooks are and ask them to plan the next week's worth of meals. My 16 year old made an amazing Pad Thai on the weekend. She wanted to make it so she handed me a grocery list from a recipe she had found online. She loves cooking so she often comes up with things she wants to make.

Giving your teens the autonomy to be creative and think about things they'd like to try would probably be a lot of fun for them.

Here is a base they can throw together and then put in whatever add ins you have on hand. Great for leftovers.

12 eggs

3 cups of milk

2 1/2 cups of bisquick mix

salt

pepper

Then add in any combo of meat, cheese and vegetable you like. You can also add in salsa, or dijon mustard depending on the other ingredients you use.

Pour into a 9x13 casserole and bake at 400 for about 20-30 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean.

Some combos we like:

bacon, swiss and asparagus

hamburger, cheddar and corn (this is good with fresh salsa spread on top when serving)

ham, swiss and broccoli

italian sausage, italian mix cheese, peppers and onions

hamburger, parmesan and mixed vegetables

mushrooms, peppers, onions, olives and mozzarella

Sorry about your foot! I know, several years ago, when I was in a boot for 6 weeks we had some pretty wonky meals...its great that your dc are old enough to help out.:grouphug:

I have been there done that twice and will have to do it again. Foot surgery is a slippery slope.

One thing I did before my surgery was to take my kids to the grocery store to have them learn how to shop. I had neighbors who had volunteered to take them to the store for me so they needed to learn what to buy. It is harder than you think to buy the right ingredients.

I had our week divided up into easy meal and even easier ones...

Tacos, pasta, salad, eggs, ham and cheese pie, sausage and rice, hamburgers (indoor grill), marinated chicken in the oven,

and then the easier - frozen fried shrimp, frozen lasagna, frozen Trader Joe's anything.... and everything.

I also put a barstool in front of the stove so I could monitor. I had a wheelchair so I could help a bit because you can do nothing with crutches.

I tell people all the time if you want your kids to learn independence - break a leg.

Best of luck with your recovery - foot pain stinks!