Menu

Fibromyalgia

My dr thinks I have this although she has sent me for a bunch of tests to rule out anything else.

I'm not sure what I think about this diagnosis. Given the high level of stress in my life these past few years it's not out of the realm of possibility. I have joint and muscle pain especially in feet, hands elbows , knees and very painful tmj.

She has prescribed elavil for the pain. I take it at night because it makes me very drowsy. I'm on a very low dose to start , 10 ml. I'm not sure what I feel about taking this med. I've never had to take any medications on a daily basis.

Interested to hear about other peoples experiences.

I've been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia syndrome for 20 years now. I went with natural medicine after elavil gave me heart problems. I've had a lot of relief from the symptoms with high doses of vitamin D (I had a very lose level), treatment for parasites, supplements for adrenal fatigue, help for various food intolerances, some detoxing of heavy metals, help taking care of blood sugar problems (both low and high), help with blood pressure problems (both low and now high), and treatment for hypothyroidism. Because fibromyalgia is a syndrome (a collection of symptoms, not a disease with an identifiable cause), your mileage may vary. I am not 100% but am in remission from the symptoms for periods of time now - right now it has been for a while but I've learned after 20 years not to say that I'm "cured".

Hi Rose,

I'm sorry to hear you may have Fibromyalgia :grouphug:! I was diagnosed 13 years ago when I was 21. It was not a huge shock since I had already been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome years earlier and a lot of times they go hand in hand.

My major symptoms were muscle pain in my shoulders, hips and legs. I also had some IBS problems that luckily have gone away, though I think I traded them for an autoimmune condition LOL!

It is a hard condition to be diagnosed with because it has gotten such a bad rep over the last 20 years. There are still a lot of doctors that think it is "all in your head" :glare:. Now at least there are medications specifically for Fibromyalgia and more is being learned about it every year.

How is your sleep? Do you feel refreshed when you wake up? Two things I suggest doing is first making sure you are sleeping well and second getting your pain under control. If you aren't sleeping well you are going to have a hard time getting very good pain management.

Please let me know if you have any questions :001_smile:.

Marisa

Hi Rose,

I'm sorry to hear you may have Fibromyalgia :grouphug:! I was diagnosed 13 years ago when I was 21. It was not a huge shock since I had already been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome years earlier and a lot of times they go hand in hand.

My major symptoms were muscle pain in my shoulders, hips and legs. I also had some IBS problems that luckily have gone away, though I think I traded them for an autoimmune condition LOL!

It is a hard condition to be diagnosed with because it has gotten such a bad rep over the last 20 years. There are still a lot of doctors that think it is "all in your head" :glare:. Now at least there are medications specifically for Fibromyalgia and more is being learned about it every year.

How is your sleep? Do you feel refreshed when you wake up? Two things I suggest doing is first making sure you are sleeping well and second getting your pain under control. If you aren't sleeping well you are going to have a hard time getting very good pain management.

Please let me know if you have any questions :001_smile:.

Marisa

I do not have refreshing sleep because it's interrupted with pain. This medication I've been taking for a week definitely has helped with sleep. It'll be a month or so before I know how it works on the pain.

I think you're right about the "it's all in your head" comment. Actually my TMJ is in my head :).

Thanks for your comments.

I've been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia syndrome for 20 years now. I went with natural medicine after elavil gave me heart problems. I've had a lot of relief from the symptoms with high doses of vitamin D (I had a very lose level), treatment for parasites, supplements for adrenal fatigue, help for various food intolerances, some detoxing of heavy metals, help taking care of blood sugar problems (both low and high), help with blood pressure problems (both low and now high), and treatment for hypothyroidism. Because fibromyalgia is a syndrome (a collection of symptoms, not a disease with an identifiable cause), your mileage may vary. I am not 100% but am in remission from the symptoms for periods of time now - right now it has been for a while but I've learned after 20 years not to say that I'm "cured".

I knew you had it Jean. I didn't know how long you've struggled with it. I would like to follow natural protocols. In the moment I'm taking the mess because I'm a bit desperate. I am researching alternatives.

I do exercise everyday even though sometimes its difficult. I would like to reduce sugar because I hear it worsens the condition.

Its all very new to me.

I knew you had it Jean. I didn't know how long you've struggled with it. I would like to follow natural protocols. In the moment I'm taking the mess because I'm a bit desperate. I am researching alternatives.

I do exercise everyday even though sometimes its difficult. I would like to reduce sugar because I hear it worsens the condition.

Its all very new to me.

Don't worry about taking the medicine if it helps you! It just didn't help me and the doctor pulled me off of it because it was causing new problems (cardiac) that I hadn't had to begin with. But many people have been helped by the medicine.