Menu

Kennedy Space Center/Cape Canaveral

We are going to be in Orlando in June, and I think it would be great to see the Kennedy Space Center and Cape Canaveral--even if I miss a few things at WDW.

Are the tours worth taking, or is it better to explore on your own? According to the website, it takes 2 days to do both tours, and I'm not sure if we will have 2 days to devote to this portion of the trip. If we only have 1 day, what would you recommend? I would appreciate any BTDT advice.

Warmest regards,

The only way to get near the lauch area (long ago when we visited) is to take the tour. The visitor center near the lauch area has a full presentation, exhibits, etc. that make it worthwhile. You can have a fulfilling visit seeing the exhibits and IMAX presentations (again years ago) in the main visitor area, but it's only 1/2 the story.

FWIW, the astronaut memorial/museum that is nearby is way more interesting than it looks. It is small, but the displays are very interactive. My kids liked it better than the Space Center because they are very hands-on kids. But it's not a full day visit. I think we visited the astronaut center and did the non-tour visit to Kennedy all in one day.

If you visit the Space Center website, there should be quite a bit of information. There were restrictions on what could be brought into the area when we last visited. We also purchased an annual pass. I can't remember now, I either did it because I knew we'd be coming back the following year or we ended up coming back later in the week. I know we ended up getting two visits out of the pass. :)

We have only been able to do the visitor center area. We loved it and definately plan to do the whole tour sometime. Sorry that I can't really answer the question but it is really good. My kids were small and really remember being inside the shuttle!