Menu

Which is easier to eat?  

1. 1. Which is easier to eat?

• regular taco
    • taco salad
    • neither, they're both equally messy
    • What in tarnation is a taco?

Taco salads are messy?

I got a taco salad in the exhibit hall at the convention last weekend. The shell was really greasy, and rather thick. Too thick to easily break with a plastic fork. I first tried breaking it up with my hands, but I also wanted to read a book, so didn't want greasy hands. I then used my fork, and did ok, but it was a mess. Had to be careful of flying greasy taco pieces getting on my book. I was envious of the people at my table who had opted for the tortilla chips instead of taco salad. :tongue_smilie: (no, I did not eat the whole shell. Just a few pieces and the taco filling.)

I couldn't vote. It just depends on what kind of taco salad you're talking about. If it's the kind I make at home, which is basically a salad with taco meat and broken up tortilla chips, then the taco salad is easier to eat. But if it's the kind you usually get at restaurants with the giant deep-fried tortilla bowl, then I think regular tacos are easier to eat. Why? Because for me part of a taco salad is the crunch of the tortilla and it's really a pain to break up that tortilla bowl.

I couldn't vote. It just depends on what kind of taco salad you're talking about. If it's the kind I make at home, which is basically a salad with taco meat and broken up tortilla chips, then the taco salad is easier to eat. But if it's the kind you usually get at restaurants with the giant deep-fried tortilla bowl, then I think regular tacos are easier to eat. Why? Because for me part of a taco salad is the crunch of the tortilla and it's really a pain to break up that tortilla bowl.

Oh, I voted assuming this was a taco salad. I forgot about the giant tortilla bowl type. In that case, I'd probably still say the salad is easier. At least with the salad you can make the bites smaller. :)

I got a taco salad in the exhibit hall at the convention last weekend. The shell was really greasy, and rather thick. Too thick to easily break with a plastic fork. I first tried breaking it up with my hands, but I also wanted to read a book, so didn't want greasy hands. I then used my fork, and did ok, but it was a mess. Had to be careful of flying greasy taco pieces getting on my book. I was envious of the people at my table who had opted for the tortilla chips instead of taco salad. :tongue_smilie: (no, I did not eat the whole shell. Just a few pieces and the taco filling.)

I never eat the shell but only the salad inside. Perhaps that's why don't think of taco salads as messy.

I have no idea what a taco salad is.

we are pretty new to the whole concept of tacos. I am not even sure we are doing the whole process right. what we do is have taco shells and burrito wraps, and a dish of each filling, meat, lettuce, tomato, onion, chili, capsicum, grated carrot, cheese, salsa. And everyone fills their own. Is that the right way of doing them?

I have no idea what a taco salad is.

we are pretty new to the whole concept of tacos. I am not even sure we are doing the whole process right. what we do is have taco shells and burrito wraps, and a dish of each filling, meat, lettuce, tomato, onion, chili, capsicum, grated carrot, cheese, salsa. And everyone fills their own. Is that the right way of doing them?

No carrots! And possibly no chili (possibly because I'm not sure if this word has different meaning for you than us. Chili is a thick tomato based soup here, Chile peppers are something that could be put on tacos but could be simply called Chiles here. But since you also mentioned capsicum - which I think are peppers- I wasn't entirely sure of your meaning of chili. Did that make any sense at all?)

But otherwise you got the basics down. You could also add pinto or black beans to them.

No carrots! And possibly no chili (possibly because I'm not sure if this word has different meaning for you than us. Chili is a thick tomato based soup here, Chile peppers are something that could be put on tacos but could be simply called Chiles here. But since you also mentioned capsicum - which I think are peppers- I wasn't entirely sure of your meaning of chili. Did that make any sense at all?)

But otherwise you got the basics down. You could also add pinto or black beans to them.

Thanks, sounds we are on the right track :D

we actually put grated beetroot on them as well.

By chili I meant the little hot ones ~jalapeno

Capsicum are probably what you call bell peppers

Taco salad, especially if you're eating tacos that are made with those crispy, pre-formed, chip-like "taco shells." Tacos made with real corn tortillas, whether they are soft-fried or crisp-fried, are not nearly as messy, although still potentially messier than taco salad.

We don't do taco salads in those tortilla bowls. We go all gringo and just put the broken up bits from the bottom of a bag of corn tortilla chips on the top of the salad stuff (meat, lettuce, sometimes cucumber, jicama, salsa, cheese, sour cream, etc)

You don't like soft tacos? I've never even seen a hard taco in Mexico ever. I think hard tacos are a Taco Bell creation. :tongue_smilie:

I like soft tacos, but they are made with flour tortillas. I'm gluten intolerant, so can no longer eat them. Plus, I do like the crunchiness of hard tacos.

ETA: I have never been able to find soft 100% corn tortillas. If I ever do, that will be a happy day in my house!

Dang this blasted juice fast. I really want tacos now.

Edited by thescrappyhomeschooler

P.S.

Just as I thought, I have lost the debate. Whenever I make tacos at home, my sister (lives with us) thinks we should crunch up the shells and make taco salads. To her, it's "easier". Whatever. I enjoy the whole trying-to-shove-it-into-my-mouth-without-losing-too-much-of-the-good-stuff routine. It's part of the fun of eating tacos in my opinion. :D

P.S.

Just as I thought, I have lost the debate. Whenever I make tacos at home, my sister (lives with us) thinks we should crunch up the shells and make taco salads. To her, it's "easier". Whatever. I enjoy the whole trying-to-shove-it-into-my-mouth-without-losing-too-much-of-the-good-stuff routine. It's part of the fun of eating tacos in my opinion. :D

This is what I do too (and then eat what fell out). Maybe "taco salad" needs to be better defined. If people are referring to the taco fillings piled up on a pile of chips, that's technically nachos. If the chips/taco shell is crushed, I guess that's taco salad. But there's also the kind I mentioned in my earlier post, where the taco shell forms a huge bowl for the taco salad. The one I had at the convention was very messy (thick, greasy shell), if I wanted to eat the shell at all. But they can vary. If you're eating it with a fork, then usually any type of taco salad will be "easier" to eat if you define that to mean "less messy." If you don't mind touching the taco shell and having a few things fall out, then picking up a taco could be called easier. I think it's subjective.