Menu

Above ground pool owners - help me decide please!

We would like to install an above ground pool. Last year we put up an Intex, $300 range, and the kids loved it. We want to upgrade to a larger, permanent pool.

Intex sells this http://www.amazon.com/Intex-54979EG-24-Foot-12-Foot-Rectangular/dp/B004DCANNK/ref=dp_cp_ob_lg_title_0

which has good reviews and is in our price range. The local pool shop prices are much, much higher, but I'm sure the quality is much different. The one that I looked at is here:

http://www.namcopool.com/pool/above-ground-pools/pools/15x20x52-willow-oval-pool-with-liner.html

I could get a much better price in the namco store by buying last year's model.

Anyone have any ideas on which way to go? Is the Intex considered a much lower quality pool, not meant to last in the long term? The Intex looks a little easier to install, so we would consider doing it ourselves, whereas the metal frame would probably require a contractor which would cost about $1000.

Anyone with pool experience, please help!

thanks,

lisa

We had an 18-foot Intex pool that we used for about three years. We upgraded the pool filter because the one that came with the pool couldn't keep up with cleaning, algae, etc. It was a great pool for what it was--the size was perfect for us, the kids loved it, etc. The major drawback was that we had to take it down every fall, then put it back up in the spring, which was a major headache. The frame that the liner attaches to was definitely beginning to show wear and tear from being taken apart so many times.

A few years ago, we switched to an 18-foot metal sided above ground pool similar to the one you linked (I don't remember the exact brand). We were able to continue using the upgraded filter we bought for the Intex pool. My husband actually leveled the ground, and he installed it with help from family, but it was a lot of work. The benefit to this pool is that we can leave it up year round. In the fall, we drain it about half-way, dump in appropriate chemicals, cover it and leave it until spring. In the spring, there are several things that need to be done to "open" the pool, but it is still much less work than setting up and taking down the Intex pool.

We're really happy we switched. The cost for the metal-sided pool was definitely more than the Intex, but we shopped around and bought the previous year's model.

Thank you so much for this thread!! I've been kicking aorund with the idea of getting an Intex pool because I have a large concrete pad in our backyard for a basketball court. We don't actually LIKE basketball so there it sits not getting used.

I have been pondering an Intex to see how much we use it before committing to a "real" pool.

I've seen the saltwater filters and I would LOVE to do that instead of chlorine. Did either of you use that system?

Lisa, that Namco pool is gorgeous! Do you think one shape of the pool would be more fun than another?

Edited by Jennifer3141

I only have experience with the Namco style pool. We have had ours for four years and have had really good luck with it. We had the company put ours up but when we watched them doing it, we figured we could have done it ourselves. It does take a couple of people working together.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of preparing the ground properly (this will save your liner). Everything has to be level and you need to put down a few inches of a very fine gravel. This was included in the installation of our pool. When we checked out the cost of the gravel and renting the equipment needed to level the ground and spread the gravel paying for set up suddenly didn't seem like a bad idea.

Also, how are you going to fill it. Our well can handle it if we go slow over a week. Many people have to truck there water in to the tune of about $700.00 in our neck of the woods to fill a pool the size you are looking at.

No matter which way you go your kids will love it.

We currently use chlorine in our pool, but we've discussed the idea of a saltwater system. Our pool actually has sand under it instead of gravel (per the recommendation of the company we purchased the pool from). I don't know what the pros/cons to either one is, but the sand seems to work great for us.

We fill our pool directly from the hose in our yard. We have city water, and it costs about $50.00 to fill the pool (about 8300 gallons).

We had an 18-foot Intex pool that we used for about three years. We upgraded the pool filter because the one that came with the pool couldn't keep up with cleaning, algae, etc. It was a great pool for what it was--the size was perfect for us, the kids loved it, etc. The major drawback was that we had to take it down every fall, then put it back up in the spring, which was a major headache. The frame that the liner attaches to was definitely beginning to show wear and tear from being taken apart so many times.

A few years ago, we switched to an 18-foot metal sided above ground pool similar to the one you linked (I don't remember the exact brand). We were able to continue using the upgraded filter we bought for the Intex pool. My husband actually leveled the ground, and he installed it with help from family, but it was a lot of work. The benefit to this pool is that we can leave it up year round. In the fall, we drain it about half-way, dump in appropriate chemicals, cover it and leave it until spring. In the spring, there are several things that need to be done to "open" the pool, but it is still much less work than setting up and taking down the Intex pool.

We're really happy we switched. The cost for the metal-sided pool was definitely more than the Intex, but we shopped around and bought the previous year's model.

I didn't realize we would have to take the Intex down in the winter. I thought I read reviews that said they kept it up all year. That definitely would be a bother. Hmmm . . .

Thank you so much for this thread!! I've been kicking aorund with the idea of getting an Intex pool because I have a large concrete pad in our backyard for a basketball court. We don't actually LIKE basketball so there it sits not getting used.

I have been pondering an Intex to see how much we use it before committing to a "real" pool.

I've seen the saltwater filters and I would LOVE to do that instead of chlorine. Did either of you use that system?

Lisa, that Namco pool is gorgeous! Do you think one shape of the pool would be more fun than another?

Yes, I love the look of the Namco. I really want oval, since we had a round already and I think a longer pool would be more conducive to swimming laps:)

I only have experience with the Namco style pool. We have had ours for four years and have had really good luck with it. We had the company put ours up but when we watched them doing it, we figured we could have done it ourselves. It does take a couple of people working together.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of preparing the ground properly (this will save your liner). Everything has to be level and you need to put down a few inches of a very fine gravel. This was included in the installation of our pool. When we checked out the cost of the gravel and renting the equipment needed to level the ground and spread the gravel paying for set up suddenly didn't seem like a bad idea.

Also, how are you going to fill it. Our well can handle it if we go slow over a week. Many people have to truck there water in to the tune of about $700.00 in our neck of the woods to fill a pool the size you are looking at.

No matter which way you go your kids will love it.

Yes, still deciding if I want to tackle the project of installation. As far as filling, we have a well and as long as we get adequate rain, I think I will fill it slowly over a week or so. I do NOT want to pay for water delivery.

Thanks, everyone, for your input!

Lisa