Menu

Tell me about your ball pit...

In the thread on taming your toddler (which I'm reading with great interest, as I have a crazy 2-year-old as well, who also happens to be the 5th child and is completely derailing our homeschool), someone mentioned a ball pit. This particular kid is obsessed with ball pits even though he has never been in one! One of his siblings showed him a youtube video of a kid in one, and he asks for it constantly. Soooo... thinking seriously about getting one to buy me some schooltime/sanity.

If you have/had a ball pit... what brand do you like? Kind with sides like a tent? Kind like a kiddie pool? Am I insane for considering getting one? Thanks!

I just used a pack n play filled with balls! Both kids loved it.

If i had the space, i would get one of those play pens and put a kiddie pool filled with balls in it.

There are also inflatable pits.

Another thing that was well used here was a crash pad. It was just a futon mattress on the floor with extra blankets and pillows inside. I would put it next to a mini trampoline and they had a blast.

My sons favorite toy ever (going to make one again) was a ten foot piece of pvc pipe with a curved piece on the end. He would put his cars in it and they would fly out the other side. It was cheap, too!

I just used a pack n play filled with balls! Both kids loved it.

If i had the space, i would get one of those play pens and put a kiddie pool filled with balls in it.

There are also inflatable pits.

Another thing that was well used here was a crash pad. It was just a futon mattress on the floor with extra blankets and pillows inside. I would put it next to a mini trampoline and they had a blast.

My sons favorite toy ever (going to make one again) was a ten foot piece of pvc pipe with a curved piece on the end. He would put his cars in it and they would fly out the other side. It was cheap, too!

Play pen around it to contain the balls is a GREAT idea! Love the PVC pipe, too. Thanks! I'm really in need of some simple new ways to keep him occupied.

If you're looking for more ideas, I took a large plastic tub (probably 3' long, 1' wide, and 18" deep) and put rice in it. The boys would sit outside of it and play with it, or climb in and play. You could also use beans, send, dry pasta, birdseed, pebbles, etc. I put a plastic tablecloth under it to catch anything that was dumped out.

We had a big inflatable one when the kids were little. They loved that thing. I had also bought additional balls to go in that thing. It was awesome until one of the cats got in it and poked a hole in it.

Knowing now what I did not know then-I just would have bought a hard kiddie pool. Although, that bathtub idea is also very appealing.