Menu

Tools to help

I have been a member of these boards for awhile and have really enjoyed all of the support and help you all have brought to me as I homeschool my 4 kids! Within the past year, I started incorporating a felt board in our homeschooling curriculum. We use it to look at shapes, make patterns, tell stories, count, sort, etc. We really love it!

We recently found out that a member of our extended family is suffering from speech apraxia and we were able to see what a hardship it has both on the child who wishes to communicate as well as to the parent. Shortly after this happened, I was asked by a member of the Child Life community to help her in making a communication board for the children she works with in the hospital who aren't able to speak for a variety of reasons. She absolutely loves it and we are in the process of finding a way to share this communication board with more people who could benefit. I started an Etsy store and, while I know it is advised not to advertise on here, I do want to let you know about it so you can see other options for homeschooling your child as you work through some of the difficulties of adjusting to an alternate learning/teaching style.

We love our felt board and I am happy to be able to share it with you. :) If you care to look, a link is available in my signature. If anyone wants to talk more about speech apraxia, diagnosis, speech therapy, etc, feel free to message me or we can chat about it here.

Haven't gone to your link, but that's a fun idea!

As far as the apraxia, please, please, please tell your relative about PROMPT. It's the *ultimate* therapy for verbal apraxia. Night and day better than regular therapy. Deborah Hayden, the developer, has a 45 minute video on youtube telling all about it. The PROMPT institute website has a provider locator. When they do that, tell them to look at the levels of training and to try to get someone who is *certified* if possible. Ours is, and she's AMAZING.

With PROMPT the dc may not need the felt board. It's that dramatic. Definitely tell them to check it out. :)

Wow! That is great information! Thank you. I will be sure to pass that on to them today. Their son is 4 and hardly speaks a word, which causes him to get very frustrated and has led to a lot of behavior issues. It is overall a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the suggestion!!

Wow! That is great information! Thank you. I will be sure to pass that on to them today. Their son is 4 and hardly speaks a word, which causes him to get very frustrated and has led to a lot of behavior issues. It is overall a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the suggestion!!

Yup, real typical for apraxia. We were right there when we started therapy, non-verbal and having the behavior problems. They definitely want to look into PROMPT. I drive 2 1/2 hours each way for our therapy. They have parent workshops and teach the parents how to do it at home. Ours is the only therapist *certified* in a three state area, so people will come in for a week of intensive therapy and then go home and do the techniques at home for a few months, then come back, rinse and repeat. It can be effective even under less than ideal situations like that.