Menu

Puppy Vaccination Reactions/Side Effects

We just had the third round of puppy shots for our dog this afternoon and he is in a bit of a funk. He is slow to move, laying down a lot and/or sleeping and he didn't eat much at dinner. I don't remember my other dogs having any reactions. Has anyone noticed a reaction in their puppies?

Mine once had an allergic reaction to the bordatella shot (the kennel cough one). He was very lethargic, shook and was either nauseous or actually threw up, I don't remember. Took him back to the vet, they told me he'd be fine but that he should never have another b. vaccine.

Call your vet if you are concerned.

So yes, there can be reactions. If he doesn't snap out of it in a day or two, it's possible he may need to be checked out.

Of course, there can be other reasons for his behavior, such as a growth spurt, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to associate this with his shots.

I hope he feels better quickly, poor thing!

~Lisa

Our vet's office was closed. This was one of those should I bother them on their emergency number?? Is it really an emergency? I should have asked my vet if there would be side effects, but didn't think of it. I did find the number to a clinic that is open specifically for emergencies and they said unless there is swelling, excessive vomiting, etc. ours was a slight side effect and he should be fine unless it progresses into the reactions above. I just feel bad for the poor guy. Thanks for the advice.:)