Menu

Water Kefir?

Wondering if there are any other water kefir drinkers here. We love this drink at our house! We make a double batch (4 quarts every 48 hours) and it is really a great probiotic drink. If anyone else makes it, how do you flavor it? We just usually use a little fruit juice, but I would love to hear other ideas:)

Wondering if there are any other water kefir drinkers here. We love this drink at our house! We make a double batch (4 quarts every 48 hours) and it is really a great probiotic drink. If anyone else makes it, how do you flavor it? We just usually use a little fruit juice, but I would love to hear other ideas:)

Ok, Will you share how you make water Keifer? do you use the same grains as with milk keifer?

Ok, Will you share how you make water Keifer? do you use the same grains as with milk keifer?

There is a way to convert milk kefir grains to water kefir grains, but I haven't tried it. If you do an internet search you should be able to find instructions. I just bought my grains from Cultures for Health and have been very happy with them. They are multiplying, too:)

I have to add, too, that I really think the water kefir is improving my dc's immunes systems. I can't get my dh to drink the water kefir, and he has been sick several times without passing it along to anyone else in the house (knock on wood!).

Thanks for the flavoring ideas- I'll have to try the ginger!

• 2 months later...

My mom uses both milk kefir and water kefir. She likes to flavor hers with a LOT of raspberries, strawberries, or both at once. She only uses her water kefir on Saturdays though and normally enjoys her milk kefir on a regular basis. She also adds the milk kefir to her smoothies and makes spreadable cheese from it.

I prefer to build my gut with my homemade cultured butter, yogurt, clabber, and cheeses. I find the kefir a little too much for on a daily basis. It's just a saturday thing at my mom's for me.

I had someone give me water keifer, but I could never get it to grow. I tried everything the web suggested. Did I just get a bad bunch? How do you grow yours? Also, can I just use my carbon filtered water or does it require me to buy a certain kind of water (I tried every bottled water out there to try to get it to grow and added trace minerals - I feel like a Kefir dummy).

Beth

Edited by bethben