Menu

6th grade and preschool plans - critique please!

AimeeM

We *might* continue to homeschool our 10 year old next year. We are still up in the air about it, frankly. How does this look for 6th grade plans (she is a visual learner; also mildly dyslexic):

Math: CLE 6, AOPS pre algebra

History/Geography: All Ye Lands (Catholic Textbook Project)

Grammar/Writing: Hake Grammar and Writing 5

Spelling: Apples and Pears book C

Science: continue through Ellen McHenry's science

Logic: Logic Liftoff series

Art History: A Child's History of Art (painting and architecture)

Am I missing anything? Anyone have strong opinions either way about our choices? We use currently (and love) CLE math, the Logic Liftoff series, Apples and Pears, and Ellen McHenry (we would just be continuing on to the next levels of each), but the others would be new to us. We also aren't sure what we will use when we finish Ellen McHenry (we are pretty STEM focused and Autumn very much enjoys science).

Also, we would like to start a more formal preschool program with our son who is 3 next month (personal preference, for those who do not believe in formal preschool). Anyone have experience with Memoria Press' preK program? He already knows his shapes, colors, letters, numbers 1-10 (by sight and can refer back to them verbally), some beginning phonics (hard sounds only, for the most part). He CANNOT trace, color, make a straight line or draw though; which is why we are refraining from a Kindergarten program.

It looks good to me. Did you have any art or music on there? I can't remember already.

Nobody is going to have much experience with MP's Jr. K program, because they announced it only a week or two ago. I think it is only written to be used two times per week. It looks lovely. I am planning to use the K program next year and it is just what I hoped, now that I have it in my hands. Another new nice looking program is Hillside Education's 26 Letters to Heaven. It looks like it would make a nice preschool program.

It looks good to me. Did you have any art or music on there? I can't remember already.

Nobody is going to have much experience with MP's Jr. K program, because they announced it only a week or two ago. I think it is only written to be used two times per week. It looks lovely. I am planning to use the K program next year and it is just what I hoped, now that I have it in my hands. Another new nice looking program is Hillside Education's 26 Letters to Heaven. It looks like it would make a nice preschool program.

Art History we would use Child's History of Art. For music she has my husband :D (he plays the piano, guitar, drums, and accordion; as well as being well versed in theory and the history of - my FIL is a private music teacher). We tend to outsource Art in practice. Lol.