Menu

We are the proud new owners of chicks

Have fun! :) I thought one batch would be it for me, but four years later, I am still buying chicks. Couldn't get it out of my system until I finally (this spring) bought some that lay dark brown, purple, green and salmon-colored eggs. Buyer, beware! It's a hobby that can take on a life of its own. :)

We got 5 barred rocks in November. They're laying up a storm now! We love our chickens. They practically ask to be picked up and always rush over to say hello. Best addition to our yard ever. Hoping the laws change soon and we can get 5 more! :) Have fun!

I did NOT want to get affectionate chickens but decided that since they are egg layers it would be ok.. I hope :D

Have fun! :) I thought one batch would be it for me, but four years later, I am still buying chicks. Couldn't get it out of my system until I finally (this spring) bought some that lay dark brown, purple, green and salmon-colored eggs. Buyer, beware! It's a hobby that can take on a life of its own. :)

Oooh, what breed lays salmon eggs? And how purple is the purple? I love pretty eggs! Right now we have blue, green, olive, and light brown, and our new chicks should arrive next week to add chocolate brown and white to the mix.

This is making me feel sorry for myself. :sad:

How exciting. I want a few chicks SO badly. So do the kids. We have decided after much consideration that we need to stay in our home another 3 -5 years. Our stupid HOA doens't allow chickens, though apparently loud a** dogs are perfectly fine (nothing against dogs, just owners that don't care if they are out for hours barking.)

We have thought of smuggling them in, because really they don't make much noise at all. DH said maybe we can turn on a radio with subliminal messages on the side of the house by their coop LOL. And it would drown out the sound.

Sorry, no thread hijack here, just being happy for someone happy about new chicks :D

We have three that we got in February. They're really very easy to take care of. We are only allowed three because of the city chicken laws, otherwise I would get a couple more. They are very quiet most of the time (they don't sing the egg song yet because they are too young to lay).

They do poop a lot, but if they poop on your patio, for instance, you can just spray it off with the hose and it's good as new. I thought ours were not very sociable, but they always come to the sliding kitchen door during dinner time and sit there watching us. I think they like us. :D

This is making me feel sorry for myself. :sad:

How exciting. I want a few chicks SO badly. So do the kids. We have decided after much consideration that we need to stay in our home another 3 -5 years. Our stupid HOA doens't allow chickens, though apparently loud a** dogs are perfectly fine (nothing against dogs, just owners that don't care if they are out for hours barking.)

We have thought of smuggling them in, because really they don't make much noise at all. DH said maybe we can turn on a radio with subliminal messages on the side of the house by their coop LOL. And it would drown out the sound.

Sorry, no thread hijack here, just being happy for someone happy about new chicks :D

:grouphug: I vote for smuggling them in :lol: If you get caught though I change my vote ;)

When we get to do meat chickens, I'm definitely getting one of the mean/nasty breeds! :)

:lol: We call the meat chickens our roasters lol! I hope that will help the kids to not get attached.... Ummmm yeah so far not happening.

Congrats! We did our first batch of chicks 2 years ago. We also did 20, along with 5 turkeys, and 2 ducklings. Well, the turkeys made excellent dinners for T-day and Christmas and Easter, the ducks were the cutest thing ever- but super super messy, even as wee babies, eventually our old dog got them. :( We're getting more tho. We did a dual purpose breed for our chicks- Barred Rocks and RIR. Half went to the freezer and half for laying. I don't reccomend them for eating, they're too lean, might as well go meat birds for meat, and layers for eggs. We have cold, long winters here in Ontario and my girls did not lay from October-March! I've since had 10 Cornish that were given to me and I gave away later- they were incredibly messy, noisy and easily flustered. The Barred rocks were my favorite of the bunch, they stick together like sisters and lay pretty well, really cute! I've also done meat birds- they eat a massive amount of food and are messy beyond belief, the more room for free ranging the better as they'll eat less feed and not mess up the coop so much.

I've since added Americaunas for green eggs, and one lone Buff. I personally love having just one rooster with the flock, if possible. It's neat to see him protect them and watch how he cares for them- he clucks to them and makes sure they eat before he does, keeps them in line, but he's not a bully.

Our favorite chick experience was hatching them out with a hen. It was beautiful, she was so sweet to them and took such good care of them. Plus it was super easy, we didn't have to mess with heat lamps and temp, etc.

I can't get chicks out of my system, I keep looking for more! ;) They are so cute!

I'm sure you already know, but keep them warm! You can get a good feel for what temp they need by looking at their behavior. If they are all huddled together as close to the light as possible, move the light a little closer - they are cold. If they are huddled as far from the light as they can get or spread out in a ring far away from it, they are too hot and you need to move the light a bit further away.

Always keep clean water available for them. Watch out for escapees. They can tunnel out and then get cold and can't get back in. Also keep an eye on any other pets who might consider chicks in an enclosure to be the equivalent of a box of take-out food.

If the weather in your area is fairly nice, you can slowly decrease the brooder temp until it matches your outside temp and then put the chicks outside. I do sort of a hardening off process similar to how you acclimate seedlings grown indoors. First a few hours out in the sunshine, then half a day out there, then all day, finally all day and night. If the nights are still too cold where you are, you can always put the heat lamp on their sleeping area for a while. It seems to me that we usually are able to put them outside after about 2 - 3 weeks.

Separate any chick who is getting picked on. Unfortunately even though they are cute, they will peck each other to death if they sense a difference or a weakness. Usually after a couple of days, the victim can be reintegrated into the flock. But do keep an eye on things until that happens.

Keep a close eye on your outdoor accommodations for a while, especially at night. I think the chirping of baby chicks is the equivalent of a predator dinner bell. Consider securing a chicken wire "skirt" around the outside bottom of the pen to keep predators from digging their way in. HTH

A couple of things. If you're using a heat lamp then a red bulb will help cut down on pecking.

Keep your Cornish crosses seperate from the rest. The other chicks can have food all the time but the CX's should only have it during the day after the first few weeks. Once ours were about 3 weeks we put our CX's out to free range and only fed them several times a day. It forced them to forage and kept them much healthier until it was time to take them to freezer camp.

And congrats! We LOVE having chickens.:001_smile:

Wrangler, what kind of heat lamp did you get? I have read that the red bulb keeps them calmer and I've been hanging on the British sites a lot that recommend the Brinsea radiant heat brooder so that what I got for us. I plan on using it for the chickens at the end of the summer that we're getting so I was ok spending a bit more on it.

I'm working on the duckling area tonight! :)

How are your babies doing today?? How old are the chicks?

Congrats! Chickens are so much fun. We have a barred rock and 2 buffs in our flock and they are the sweetest of all the breeds- the kids can pick them up and carry them around and they don't seem to mind at all.

We love our chickens and our ducks too! For those of you in cold climates, our naked neck chickens lay through the winter. Our first flock were araucanas and they were rather whimpy and particular even though they laid pretty eggs. Our naked necks will eat all the table scraps we send out to them and they are very hardy. They come out of their house to greet me, even when it is 10 below zero! I love that breed. They are great and meat a dual purpose--good layers and meat birds too. We don't raise them for meat but when our bantam hatches out too many roosters, well, we only keep a couple of those and the rest will go in the freezer. I really enjoy our ducks but I do agree that they are messy. I change the water 2x's per day b/c of the ducks! But they are wonderful to watch. Our horses enjoy watching them too when they are in their stalls.

Good luck and have fun!