Menu

Hake Grammar & CLE Langauge Arts -- How do these compare in difficulty?

ereks mom

Well, my daughter has been using CLE since 2nd grade (now finishing up 4th) and my son has used Hake Grammar for both 5th and 6th grades and will continue for 7th and 8th. Hake has more practice and review and seems more systematic to me. I also think it offers better explanations and examples. I feel my son has learned a lot more grammar than my daughter, but he is a couple of grades ahead of her. For a child that needs plenty of practice and review, I would recommend Hake.

As for my daughter, I have been very tempted to switch her to Hake, but when I look through CLE's scope and sequence, I believe she will learn everything my son has, just over a longer period of time. She does not need as much repetition in order to retain grammar concepts and she likes CLE, so I think I'm going to let her continue with it.

Lisa

Thanks, everyone. I'm still undecided, because there are features about each one that I really like. I think I'm going to buy both and look at them more closely before I decide. There's only so much I can tell from just looking at online samples. I'm one of those who has to hold a book in my hands and flip through the pages so I can get a feel for whether it would work for us.

<sigh> I just can't tell.

If a kid successfully completed Hake 7 this year, and you were going to switch to CLE, would you go to CLE 8 the next year?

Or vice versa: if a kid successfully completed CLE 7 this year, and you were going to switch to Hake, would you go to Hake 8 the next year?