Menu

I love AAS, but I need something more independent.

Dolphin

Any ideas?

I had this whole idea of me sitting and teaching my son, but the truth is he learns better when he is teaching himself.

He is an amazing reader. We just had him tested. Low 12th grade word recognition, mid 9th grade reading and mid 2nd grade spelling:confused: He is just finishing his 4th grade year.

Is there a workbook that he can work through on his own? A remedial one maybe for older kids.

Help!

Nicole

You might want to check out How to Teach Spelling. I've heard others on here describe it as "AAS workbook style", but since I have never used or even seen AAS in person, I can't say one way or another. We are using the TM w/ the workbooks. People find the TM on its own to be kinda confusing, and I tend to agree.

I wrote up a big blog post on it w/ page samples here: http://dougcarla.wordpress.com/2012/02/07/how-to-teach-spelling-review/

For your son, I would suggest starting w/ Level 2.

I know some other programs people might suggest are Apples and Pears or Apples Daily Spelling Drills. I think it's funny that they both have Apples in their name but have nothing to do w/ each other (as far as I know). :001_smile:

Thank you, I will go check those out now.

I will look into spelling city, it is always nice to find a way to make the current system work for the rest of the year. Just making it more independent could be the ticket.

I keep looking at all the IEW things. IEW is on the top of my to research list at the convention. I get so confused with the catalogue and website. In just over a month I can go to a booth and have them walk me through it:001_smile:

The blog could be dangerous, that is how I ended up switching to TT..off to check it out now:auto: Thanks for the advice.

Nicole