Menu

S/O - What standardized tests do you use?

We use the CAT survey. It's shorter than the regular CAT, which we used to use. The shorter test time works better for us because it's easier to stay focussed for a shorter period of time, there's less reading, etc. I don't know how it compares to other standardized tests.

Besides the actual test, a Timed-Timer is also helpful. It displays clearly and easily how much time is left. http://www.amazon.com/Time-Timer-LLC-8%2522-Inch/dp/B000J5OFW0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335053032&sr=8-1

Merry, you are the WOMAN! Someone was selling those at the convention this weekend and I never found her booth!!! Thank you! :)

As far as the test, well we've done the CAT through CLP and Seton. We've also done the Woodcock Johnson, which is done one on one with a tester. It's only marginally more expensive ($25 for the CAT, $75 for WJ). Granted the Iowa has a lot of info, but it also tests subject content (history, science, etc.). That isn't important to me, and I don't want to deal with the number of days required or the tester certification. The CAT is low key and adequate for us, meeting our state testing requirements. Seton was at the convention with a deal ($20), so that's the way we're going this year. It gives me the info I need and the bottom line number the state needs, easy peasy. Takes us 3 days to administer at 2 sections a day.

Hey, look what I just found!!! http://www.timetimer.com/store There's a time timer APP!!!

Edited by OhElizabeth

We used the SAT-10 (Stanford) when my son was younger. I liked it because it is untimed.

Untimed would be good for my son--esp to see how he does where it is untimed for all and not a special accommodation, if that is the case. Where do you get the SAT-10?

Untimed would be good for my son--esp to see how he does where it is untimed for all and not a special accommodation, if that is the case. Where do you get the SAT-10?

BJU Testing Services has it. Back when my son did it, you couldn't give it to only your own children; children had to be tested in a group. Someone on a previous thread has mentioned that this has changed.

I haven't kept up on other organizations that also offer testing, so I'm not sure if anyone else offers SAT-10.