Menu

I owe the library 30.00 in late fees.

Oh, you guys make me feel so much better about the $19 I recently owed the library! It was the first time in my life I'd ever had more than $3 in fines. I'm such a rule follower, I felt like a criminal. When I went in to pay them I must have seemed extremely contrite, because the librarian cut the amount in half and only charged me $10. :)

Wow! I can't even imagine fines that high. What do they charge daily per book? I don't think that there are enough books in our library to get a charge of $200 fines. I guess I should be happy we have such a small library. Just think of all the money I'm saving. :D

Hey, I figure that they should name a wing in my honor. I think of my fines as an endowment!

No lie. When we sheepishly write a check, the lady at the desk always smiles and says, "thank you for your support!" :D

Sadly, I get a 3-day "early overdue notice" by email, and can renew online. I just... Don't.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

Wow! I can't even imagine fines that high. What do they charge daily per book? I don't think that there are enough books in our library to get a charge of $200 fines. I guess I should be happy we have such a small library. Just think of all the money I'm saving. :D

We have 4 cards. You can take out 100 books per card. I have maxed out all 4 cards before when I was doing research. Usually though, we each have about 40 or so books out. Fines are 10 cents a day. It can get expensive.

We have a library day scheduled as part of school. That way we know that we will be checking in and out books on the same day every week. Technically there should be no fines. But the kids have been known to tell me "Yes, mom, I found all my due library books" when that was not the case.:glare:

However, I am not paying all that much anymore since I implemented a new policy - whoever owns the card, pays his/her fines on that card. For awhile, I was getting a lot of weeding done by kids needing to earn money to pay for their fines. They've mysteriously gotten better at finding and taking their books back to the library. :D

We have 4 cards. You can take out 100 books per card. I have maxed out all 4 cards before when I was doing research. Usually though, we each have about 40 or so books out. Fines are 10 cents a day. It can get expensive.

I'm impressed. We're only allowed to take out 9 books per card, and there's such a bad selection that we never get near that. 400 books out at once! I can't even imagine trying to keep track of that many.

We have a library day scheduled as part of school. That way we know that we will be checking in and out books on the same day every week. Technically there should be no fines. But the kids have been known to tell me "Yes, mom, I found all my due library books" when that was not the case.:glare:

I can certainly identify with this. When we used to live closer to a big library and actually took out 9 books per person, we would have to spend ages searching - behind beds, under beds, in stacks of our own books, behind the sofa.

However, I am not paying all that much anymore since I implemented a new policy - whoever owns the card, pays his/her fines on that card. For awhile, I was getting a lot of weeding done by kids needing to earn money to pay for their fines. They've mysteriously gotten better at finding and taking their books back to the library. :D

Gotta love that!

:001_smile:

We have 4 cards. You can take out 100 books per card.

Yep. Same here. However, the library is consistent in sending out reminders for all cards. They all come to my email address. :D Library books also have their own section in our library at home. That's also helped eliminate "the scramble" on due days.

We are not accessed fines except with movies. The only fines you pay at our library are for lost items. Movies are 2.00 a day late fee...you get them for the wk. So, fees are rare for me...but, somehow my acct still manages to get blocked b/c the items do not always make it back in time and become 'lost' until I do bring them back.:glare:

I appreciate my library a lot more now!

We do not have a limit on books. 3 dvds per card.

We have fine-free fridays! Anything owed, no matter how old, brought in on a friday sees no fines! Because of fhis, the most i have owed is $1.40. We are also at the library 4 days per week. Monday ds has a therapy dog session. Wednesday is dd's book club. Thursday is ds's book club. Friday is our book day.

Since we have fine free fridays, i always pay a little extra when i buy books. Kids books for sale are 5 for $1, adult paperback are $.50, and hardcovers are $1.

No lie. When we sheepishly write a check, the lady at the desk always smiles and says, "thank you for your support!" :D

Sadly, I get a 3-day "early overdue notice" by email, and can renew online. I just... Don't.

I get a lecture about not renewing online. Every. Time.

I just got my notice. They are a week late at 20 cents per day per book.

Wowza! I feel so much better about our under-$10 amounts.

And our library does a food drive during National Library Week -- each can of food is worth $1 in fines, up to $10 per card. So right now we're at zero, and I've had a chance to turn over the stock in our pantry.:)

And is that just on your card? We have multiple balances on multiple cards.....I wouldn't be surprised if there was a wanted poster in our library with my face on it :lol::leaving:

:lol::lol::lol: that cheered me up about my fines. $20 on DD's card and $8.40 on Ds's. Thankfully nothing on mine right now...

My library has started emailing you on the day your books are due to remind you. Yay! Hopefully this will remind me to renew online or bring them in.

That reminds me, I signed us up with Library Elf, so I get notices about what's due when. It really helps a lot. The fines for our household dropped dramatically with it.

Our library doesn't email until the item is actually accruing fines. With Library Elf I can see what's about to hit that point, and plan accordingly.

I get an e-mail a few days before the books are due. Unfortunately, fuel is so expensive that it costs more to drive to the library than it does to pay overdue fines. I should just renew on-line but usually forget to. I never have more than a few pounds in fines though.

I probably pay $100 a year in fines. It's cheaper than Netflix, and it does support the library. I really hate losing a book. It's only happened a few time in the 8 years we've lived here, but it's both embarassing and expensive.

I hate losing or damaging a book because it always seems that we only lose or damage the books that we didn't like! Then we pay for it and in the case of the lost ones - find it and have to keep it.:glare: So then I donate it back to the library! I don't get my money back though because while they will refund fines, if you've actually paid the lost book fee, there are no refunds. I've been told that's because they had to buy a replacement.

I do about 2 big fines of around $10 about twice a year. In December it is a given. Why do I always go in December??

And then there are the little ones the rest of the year. So $30 a year is about right for me. I guess it is not too bad considering how much we get for it. :tongue_smilie:

I don't understand why people don't just renew online, especially if you get email reminders. It really makes no sense not to take advantage of the service. The only times I get late fees are the few times a year when I intentionally keep new items past the due date because I'm not finished and they can't be renewed, so at most it's 50 cents and I pay it as soon as I return the item.

ETA: I also have a strong incentive to pay any fines I do get right away, as the library won't let you check out anything if you have a fine, even if it's only 10 cents.

Edited by WordGirl

Oh, I do renew online. But sometimes I forget. My day to do it is Monday. But occasionally twice a year, I have a crazy Monday and don't remember until the next monday and by then everything might be a week late!

And then ours only lets you renew it so many times, or not at all if someone else has requested it. So sometimes I have to choose to keep it for a fee because we are still using it.

I will say mine (about $30 a year) are better than a lot of these totals, thank goodness.

We are allowed 100 items out/ card

Late fees are $.50/ day.

The problem with online renewal is if there is anything "wrong" with your account you can't renew but they don't tell you what is "wrong." The things that could cause you to not be able to renew are:

1. You have more than $10 in fees

2. You turned in an incomplete item (like an audiobook where a CD was left in the car stereo)

3. You have an item due that has been requested by someone else.

5. You didn't pick up an item you requested in time (when you request an item you have 1 week after you are notified to pick it up; otherwise it costs $3 & a hold is placed on your account so you can't renew.)

I try to check for renewals on-line every Tuesday and we go every Wednesday. The problem is I usually have 20 or more books due on the same day and if any of the problems above have occurred (#3 kills me every time) then I can not renew any of them so all at once I have $10 in fees.

My giant fee was more more than 9 years ago. I was going through library books like a fiend while I was on bed rest with a difficult pregnancy. There was a box of book waiting for Dh to return when the baby arrived unexpectedly. A well meaning person thought they were helping me clean & shelved the books on my kids' bookshelves. By the time life settled the books were listed as missing so I was paying late fees, replacement fees, re-shelving fees & a super special fee they charged us for sending us to a collection agency.

It was awesome.

Amber in SJ

I'm always very relieved that the children's cards don't get fines.

Our children's cards can get fines.

Me too! I get more fines than ds.

We don't like our library much, but the next town over has a GREAT library, and they let us join. So far we have never hit a limit of checking things out. We go every week right after ds's music lesson which is across the street. Whenever we miss that day, is when the fines start showing.

Oh, and movies. We will put 4 or 5 on hold, have nothing for weeks then suddenly 3 of them are ready in the same week, and we only have a week to watch them. You can never renew, as they all have holds on them....

If we renew before or on the day they're due' date=' no problem. What gets me is that once they're even a day late, you can't renew them. :glare: In my thinking you should be able to renew and just pay the one day late fee. Libraries don't follow the same logic. :tongue_smilie:[/quote']

That is annoying. I could do a late renewal on our old library's online system, but I can't at the bigger library where we go now. Even if you try to renew on the same day it's due, the system won't let you.

I used to have to pay more fines in our local library system, but then they went to allowing you to renew the books pretty much indefinitely, as long as there is no hold on them (like twenty times, at three weeks a time). And it's only five or ten cents a day anyway for overdue books. I LOVE this library system!

Unfortunately, their selection is smaller, and they don't have after-hours outside return bins into which you can put DVDs/CDs/tapes (if you put them in the regular after-hours outside bins, you're charged $5 per item), plus their hours are shorter. So I tend to use the system two counties up a lot. That system charges thirty cents a day for overdue books, which can only be renewed twice (total of six weeks out), and TWO DOLLARS PER DAY per DVD, which can only be renewed once (for a total of two weeks out per DVD). It got quite expensive the one time I took a bunch of stuff back and forgot a couple of DVDs. Two weeks per DVD would be fine, except that when DH and I are watching a TV series on DVD, our viewing can vary, depending on what else happens that week; we might watch ten episodes in a week, or it might just be two. So I order a bunch of DVDs, and it's frustrating that we have to return them after two weeks, even if nobody's requested them.

I paid $46 three days ago. :lol:

Hey! That's my record-high fine! :001_smile:

Me too. They give me every chance. I even have two branches less than five miles from my house. :glare:

Today I thought I had a big fine because the automatic check out machine wouldn't process my card, so I was forced to face a person. Turns out I was just due for an address check to see if we still lived at our address.

I don't understand why people don't just renew online, especially if you get email reminders. It really makes no sense not to take advantage of the service.

Well, I start getting the reminders and think, "oh, I don't want to keep those books! I'll take them back." And then I'm busy that day. And the next day. And the next day. And then I forget. And then it won't let me renew online because the fines are so high, but I'm still too busy to take them back.

Really, there's no excuse.

LOL You don't want to know my highest fine. Ask your fav librarian the best way to pay. If I give cash or put 'special gifts' on my checks, the money goes to buy new books. That makes me happy.

Paying my fines feels good...like a civic duty that is not nearly as painful as jury duty at 8am. ;)

This is just crazy. I realize that the fine system is set up to encourage people to return items timely and to punish those who don't. But how do these outrageous fines ultimately serve the public? Fine structures should not be in place to support a library. When people have such prohibitive fines, doesn't it ultimately cause circulation to go down?

These are the people supporting circulation. It's just wrong that the fines are allowed to be that high for any family.

I work in one library system, frequent another. The latter system has much higher fines, and as a result, I have stopped checking out materials. My (relatively) low fines of a couple of dollars caused me to instead purchase Netflix streaming. At least we're getting something for our money. (I know this certainly isn't a solution that would work for most, and I do have my own work library still available.)

I'm sorry for you all who have to deal with it. :grouphug::grouphug: