Menu

Lukeion Project

Rockhopper

Has anyone had a middle schooler take Greek thru the Lukeion Project?

If so, what'd you (or your student) think of it? How'd he/she do?

And additionally and more specifically, have you had a middle school or younger student transition from ANOTHER Greek program into the Lukeion Project?

And if so, how did you place him/her and how did that work out?

Thanks!

DS13 is taking Greek 1 with Lukeion, and absolutely loves it. He's taken several other courses with them (an intensive grammar course and several of the short history courses), and they have been uniformly excellent. Regan Barr is an exceptional teacher, and the textbook (Athenaze) is really fun, too. DS plans to stick with Lukeion through Greek 4.

He had no prior experience with Greek, other than a few chapters of the Galore Park book (basically he knew the alphabet and a few vocabulary words). There are several younger kids in the class — I think the youngest is 10 or 11. It's a lot of work, but there are lots of activities on the Quia website for reinforcement (flashcards, games, etc.), and Regan is very accessible and responsive if anyone has questions. Ds has worked his tail off, and has straight As in the class.

Jackie

DS13 is taking Greek 1 with Lukeion, and absolutely loves it. He's taken several other courses with them (an intensive grammar course and several of the short history courses), and they have been uniformly excellent. Regan Barr is an exceptional teacher, and the textbook (Athenaze) is really fun, too. DS plans to stick with Lukeion through Greek 4.

He had no prior experience with Greek, other than a few chapters of the Galore Park book (basically he knew the alphabet and a few vocabulary words). There are several younger kids in the class — I think the youngest is 10 or 11. It's a lot of work, but there are lots of activities on the Quia website for reinforcement (flashcards, games, etc.), and Regan is very accessible and responsive if anyone has questions. Ds has worked his tail off, and has straight As in the class.

Jackie

Thank you very much for your very helpful review! I'm especially glad to hear positive feedback about the instructor -- if ds does this, it'd be his first on-line course and an excellent instructor will, I think, go a very long way toward making it a good experience.

Our main trouble is trying to figure out placement. Ds has been doing Gatchell's Elementary Greek this year. It doesn't seem like it's enough to place him in Lukeion's Greek 2, but he's worked awfully hard this year and I'm afraid it would be somewhat discouraging to "start all over" w/ Greek 1 again.

I am planning on taking Greek from them starting in about a year from now. I want to finish Henle 1 and get my feet wet in Latin first. I met both of them at a homeschool convention last month and I have to say that I think their courses would be excellent. They are both very passionate about classics. They said that the courses are geared toward a high school level, but they have had much younger kids in them as well. I would contact them. I am sure they would give you all the information you need!

I second Kristinannie's suggestion to contact the Barrs (or Mr. Barr, in your case) and ask them specific questions. They are so personable! We haven't taken Greek with them yet, but my eldest took two years of Latin with Mrs. Barr and both girls have taken workshops with both Barrs. My middle dd is planning to start Greek with Mr. Barr the year after next. She will have done all three levels of Elementary Greek at that point, but she loves Greek so much, I guess I think of it sort of like the way people do history cycles. One pass through on one level, the next pass through on a higher level. If my dd's Latin experience is any indication, Lukeion Greek will progress at a much faster pace than we have with EG, so I imagine that having some previous Greek experience will be helpful. That said, dd is doing Greek because she wants to and didn't want to wait until she was old enough to do it with Lukeion. I'll be interested to hear if your son ends up going into a higher level than Greek 1.

Where do you find the price for the Lukeion Project classes? I have looked all over the website and can't seem to find the information.

ETA: Never mind, I found it. It only seems to be accessible from the home page, not the individual course listings.

Edited by KarenNC

Athenaze is very different from the typical Greek textbook-it assumes knowledge of the alphabet and decoding, and starts out with reading passages, even if you're looking up every single word. If you've used Cambridge Latin, it's very similar. My DD had gone through Hey Andrew through book 3 and found it boring and too slow, and is enjoying Athenaze and finding it a challenge (we're going VERY slowly-and she doesn't seem to mind).

• 3 weeks later...

My 10yo son has been taking lukeion Greek this year ( with Corraleno's son), and loves it. It is pretty intense. I don't know anything about other Greek programs to compare though, you may be able to email Mr. Barr and talk to him about placement. We are currently looking at Greek resources to work on over the summer and taking Greek 2 in the fall. The only minor issue we have is that he gets pretty far behind on grading, but you can see the correct answers as soon as you submit your homework or quiz so it is not that big of a deal.

We had previously dabbled in Latin but went a bit backwards starting with Greek. He also wants to take Latin 1 with them in the fall, so we are big fans of Lukeion.