Menu

Would you standardized test a first grader?

staceyobu

Our CC group is offering the stanford. I know DD is strong in reading/LA skills. I'm curious to know how she would do on a math test, though. I would sorta like her to test to see how things measure up and for her to just start getting used to testing. I feel that my awesome test taking skills really benefited my GPA over the years, and I would like for her to get plenty of practice.

On the con side, I don't want her to have a bad experience. And, I don't think it's necessary. And it costs like $50. And, we'll have a new baby by then... although I can drop her off, so it might actually lessen my work load for the day. :tongue_smilie:

Any thoughts? She is finishing first grade up now.

No I wouldn't, but that is just because I don't like the stress of testing and feel if I knew a test was coming up for my child then I would want to teach them for the test instead of just enjoying learning and also because I am not sure what the result would tell me or what I would do with it afterwards.

We are doing the Terra Nova this year for 1st. If I had an option to do the Stanford locally, I would. I want to know where we are, as well as practice for when I will put more stock into the tests.

I do testing every year per my state's requirements starting in first grade. But I would do it anyway even if I were not required because I want my kids to get used to standardized tests, learn testing strategies, and become confident in their ability to take them.

I use the CAT/5 for 1st and 2nd grades because it is a pretty easy test, and it builds confidence. Starting at 3rd grade, I do the Iowa. From what I have heard, I think the Iowa and Stanford are more difficult than other tests, and I would wait until the child is older to give one of those. Therefore, I think 1st grade is a little young for the Stanford. Like you said, I wouldn't want to take the risk of my child having a bad experience at so young an age which could affect his or her confidence in taking standardized tests.

I gave my kindergartener the cat/e last year and we are taking it again this year. I order through Seton, it is cheap and I can give it at home. We do some practice sections in a prep book and then we do the test. I don't really test him much during the year, it is done all together. I think of it as good practice. It is low pressure, a few sections a day at home. But it did show me some weak areas last year.

Look at what the test covers. I actually test him appear ahead because the test for K would not have told me anything. As it was, he got a nearly perfect score on the forst grade test. Seton has a.breakdown of what is covered each year. It was very helpful.

I live in a non-reporting state. I wanted something to show if I am ever questioned, highly unlikely, but this is a cheap and easy way to keep that record.

I would wait, myself. We do our testing at home, and it is required every year starting at age 7. My 6 year old first grader was very disappointed this year when I told him he had to wait until next year to get to fill in those little bubbles.

The earliest I would test would be 3rd grade. I also am lucky and as of now do not have to test if I don't want to. One of the main reason I homeschool is so I don't have to test so for me at the end of first, no way. Ever, unless forced.

I am not sure what you are trying to see? I don't think a standardized test gives an accurate picture. They are so biased no matter what they say. My cousin writes test questions, edits, and redoes them all the time. For that reason, they can never get them just right and that alone makes me irritated that so much empahasis is placed on them :(

I did give the ITBS to my son when he was in first grade. But I wouldn't have had him take it in a group situation as I wanted it to be as comfortable for him as possible. Also, when I give the tests myself I find where the gaps are much better than by seeing a score report at the end.

I did give the ITBS to my son when he was in first grade. But I wouldn't have had him take it in a group situation as I wanted it to be as comfortable for him as possible. Also, when I give the tests myself I find where the gaps are much better than by seeing a score report at the end.

Yes, I agree that you learn much more when you give the test to your child. You can see all of the questions he or she missed and know what you need to teach/reteach.

I find standardized tests very helpful to better recognize my kids' strengths and weaknesses and what we need work on. It helps me fine tune my curriculum so that I don't have gaps.

• 1 month later...
$50 is too much. If you absolutely want to do it you could use Seton. I think it's $25. You would administer the test, but it would cost a lot less!

This is what we did for a k'er this yr. I did not "teach the test" either. We wanted to know where he was compared to the national average. I don't keep grades so this was a good way for me to have record of where he is.

No I would not. We don't have to test until the end of 3rd and I have no desire to test before that.

I started the oldest after 2nd grade, because she was ready. The youngest didn't start until after 4th grade, as I recall.

By the way, she scored really high in verbal and really low in math computation for years and years, until finally, something clicked. Then she scored high on everything by late middle school, though verbal scores were always the highest. Son in reverse. I thought that kid was NEVER going to understand something as simple as capitalization. So don't despair if your kid keeps scoring low in the same area every year! Eventually, it gets better!

In our state we don't have to report until our children are 7 years old. At that point they then have to take a yearly test. They only have to be tested on math, reading, writing, grammar, spelling. No science or Social Studies unless you want to.

So after my ds's 1st grade year I'll take him to our testing place and he'll take the Woodcock Johnson III test. It is an oral test that is given by a tester. It's very stress free and very thorough.....My middle dd took it last year and this year.....she will move on up to the Tera Nova for her 4th grade. My oldest dd went through the rigourous and straining EOG's in public school from 3rd-5th....This is her first year homeschooling and loves it! Her testing was so relaxed and stress free compared to public school.

I say if you don't have to give the bubble tests then hold off until you need to. I'm all for assessing your children throughout the year so you know exactly what their weaknesses and strengths are.

Check out Woodcock Johnson tests if you are required to test!

No, even the public schools around here don't start testing until 3rd (though my son's private school started the SAT in 1st... he was homeschooling that semester, so didn't take it).

You probably know where your DD is, and as long as she is where she works best, does it really matter what percentile she is? :confused:

I gave my son the CAT from Seton Testing this year in the first grade. Our state requires testing and it was easy enough to give him at home. He loved filling in the bubbles and keeps asking when we will test again. He could do the Stanford through our co-op and we may try that next year.

I wouldn't if I was the only one deciding. Husband loves the idea of testing. We had our Kindergartners tested just so he could know that they were 'on track'. They did fine; however, didn't get the chance to show off all of their knowledge which really bothered them. Also, once they realized it was a 'timed' test they got a bit frazzled. I don't think there's any need to put stress on a little one unless it's completely neccessary.

No, and I did. :tongue_smilie:

My youngest wanted to test so badly because her older sibling was; so I forked out the $50 for CC testing. She really enjoyed it and scored exactly like I thought she would. No surprises at all.

However, I wasted $50 to learn nothing new.

I can think of 100 ways I would rather have spent that money. ;)

No. But I'm against standardized testing pretty much having known quite a few Florida teachers who began teaching for the test in 1st grade (FCATs start in 3rd grade).

I think I'd ask myself why I wanted to test her. You can probably tell how she's doing yourself. If you think you would change how you taught or what curriculum you'd use...then maybe....but still, I'd wait a year or two. I really don't think you can find out that much at this age to make it worth it.

If you're unsure on how you're doing as a homeschool teacher, then I'm not sure if a standardized test will really give you enough feedback. Just as your daughter will grow and learn, so will you.

If it were me, I'd use the $50 for a massage or facial...or take my daughter out for a Mommie/Daughter tea or pedicure.