Menu

disecting an owl pellet....worth doing??

Yes, it is a little gross, but it really is fascinating to see how many little animals are in one of those pellets. We were never able to assemble a full skeleton, but we easily found 5 skulls in our pellet.

DD wore gloves while dissecting, and it took quite a while, but we both thought the end result was worth it.

They're really fun, and honestly, not gross at all. It's an owl hairball. :D They radiate them well, so there's no chance of catching anything from them, and they're super easy for kids to do on their own. We have a mess of them around here somewhere.

After that...graduate to dissecting cow eyeballs. Those are a blast!! Big as tennis balls and they leave all the muscle tissue behind the eye attached. They come in a Zip-loc full of formaldehyde solution. The eyes all look like they're staring at you when you lift the bag out of the box. :lol:

My kids loved it! Not too gross, most of the ones you buy have been autoclaved so the germs are killed, there's a lot of fuzzy fur that looks like dust. We found remains of three voles in one pellet. I blogged about it not too long ago, link in my sig, about halfway down the front page. :001_smile:

They also usually come with a grid showing you what bones of common prey of the owl looks like so you can piece a critter together by following the chart and identifying bones. It's like a puzzle. :) We actually found a quarter- sized bird head with a large, long beak! I put that one in a baby food jar and kept it! But I also keep all kinds of science stuff.

It's interesting. Just a word of caution though. If you have a cat, don't leave it out unattended after. My cat jumped on the table and started crunching on the bones! :ack2:

And if you have a burrowing dog around, keep the box HIGH up. My brother's dog got to the low shelf our box of owl pellets was on, opened the box, and spread bones everywhere. I was traumatized. :cry: :laugh:

My kids loved it! Not too gross, most of the ones you buy have been autoclaved so the germs are killed, there's a lot of fuzzy fur that looks like dust. We found remains of three voles in one pellet. I blogged about it not too long ago, link in my sig, about halfway down the front page. :001_smile:

I looked at your blog...you guys are right....it really looks cool. My kit only came with 2 pellets...wish I could get another one quickly.

thanks....ok...now I am more prepared. How long does it take to do this project...and how careful must you be...it is something that the adult person should do...or can I kid do it without damage??

How long it takes depends upon the person doing the dissection. I once lead a group of upper level elementary grade students through the process. Most just picked through and identified the mouse bones on a chart I gave them. One spent hours reconstructing a three dimensional mouse skeleton from the bones.

Personally I think it would be dull to watch. I'd let the kids do it.