Menu

Anyone posted about this yet?

Sadly, I'm not surprised. One of my neighbors, in fifth grade, ended up wetting her pants because of a similar testing situation. They couldn't go for hours during the test, and then when they could go, they were only allowed access to one bathroom which had a huge line (this is a large school). She had to change clothes and everything. If it had been my child, I would have been enraged.

Honestly, I think one of the biggest problems with our education system today is the fact that all common sense has been taken out of it. What do they think a 6 y.o. is going to do in the bathroom during testing? Cheat on the test??? That poor kid. I would like to see that teacher made to "hold it" the next time she has diarrhea.

Something similar happened to me in first grade.

In the afternoons before we all went home my teacher would have me stand at the front of the classroom and read to the class while she checked papers, etc. I was a very good reader and enjoyed getting to read.

Fairly often, I would have to stop reading and ask to go to the restroom. After this had happened about five or six times, my teacher said that she would no longer allow me to stop reading to use the bathroom. I needed to go at another time. That day I started reading and needed to go again about halfway through the book. I knew that my teacher wouldn't let me, so I just kept reading and wound up urinating all over myself in front of the class.

They all started laughing so the teacher looked up and saw what had happened. She was furious and I got in trouble (lost a recess the next day) because I didn't tell her I had to go. :confused:

I feel so sorry and angry for this little girl and her family. :grouphug: to them.

This is a kindergartener taking a STATE TEST! First of all that is just ridculouse! The pressure they put on these kids for these tests is crazy. My son is taking the ela today. He went to ps starting in mid January. Within two weeks he was telling me all about the math state test, which doesn't even happen till next week! There is NO reason for these kids to be pushed so hard for these tests.

My friend's 6th grader, who is very smart, and knows she is smart (but not in a bad braggy way) is worried about failing their state test. It is just crazy.

With just reading these responses, I figured the little girl wet herself. Okay that happens. Kids wait till the very last, it's too late moment. Happens all the time. But this was certainly NOT that situation. And to make her sit there and wait out the test? A test that DOES NOT EVEN COUNT FOR KINDERGARTENERS??? I'd seriously be questioning if I want my kid back in a class run by a teacher like that.

As to my son and his testing, he is a little stressed over it, but currently he's a little stressed over a lot of things right now. He is coming back home end of next week. We are PCSing soon and with that and other things he's got some anxiety going. Why am I keeping him for the test? Well mainly because he will have to take it next year. Currently in a group of kids he feels comfortable around, and he understands that there will be things he won't know because the rest of them have been taught what is on it while I've taught him differen things. And he gets that. So I figured it would be a good experience for him.

Honestly, I think one of the biggest problems with our education system today is the fact that all common sense has been taken out of it. What do they think a 6 y.o. is going to do in the bathroom during testing? Cheat on the test??? That poor kid. I would like to see that teacher made to "hold it" the next time she has diarrhea.

It's not the cheating. It's finishing the test. They are timed. If a child doesn't finish, then all the answers not filled in are wrong. This brings down the scores for the school which could lead to less funding or even being put on academic probation.

Plus, if the kindergartener was being tested, then the test is given orally. The teacher reads the directions/instructions and the children fill in the answers on their test booklet appropriately. Allowing this girl to leave the class to use the restroom would have caused her to miss X amount of questions while she was gone. It's not right, but that would have been the teacher's thinking.

I ended up with wet pants in 3rd grade on a field trip because it was not time for the group bathroom break. I had to finish the fieldtrip in wet pants until we got back at the end of the school day. It was humiliating and led to almost 3 years of teasing by my classmates.

If this happened to my kids, I would be livid and out for that teacher's job.

She didn't just wet herself, she POOPED, diarrhea like all over herself and then was made to sit in it for over 30 minutes with a trash bag wrapped around herself.

It makes me so mad to even think about this. Disgraceful. I would have that teacher fired if nothing else.

It's not the cheating. It's finishing the test. They are timed. If a child doesn't finish, then all the answers not filled in are wrong. This brings down the scores for the school which could lead to less funding or even being put on academic probation.

Plus, if the kindergartener was being tested, then the test is given orally. The teacher reads the directions/instructions and the children fill in the answers on their test booklet appropriately. Allowing this girl to leave the class to use the restroom would have caused her to miss X amount of questions while she was gone. It's not right, but that would have been the teacher's thinking.

But the school administrator quoted in the link said the test was for 3rd grade and up. The test isn't for the Ker crowd. So even if they were being tested, (which seems silly), the test doesn't even count.

I ended up with wet pants in 3rd grade on a field trip because it was not time for the group bathroom break. I had to finish the fieldtrip in wet pants until we got back at the end of the school day. It was humiliating and led to almost 3 years of teasing by my classmates.

If this happened to my kids, I would be livid and out for that teacher's job.

This happened to me in 3rd grade. My stupid teacher kept a wall chart with our names and colored cards. Going to the bathroom meant you had to change the colored card, which meant a lower grade for the day. I was wearing a skirt of dark color and no one noticed but I will never ever forget that day.

She didn't just wet herself, she POOPED, diarrhea like all over herself and then was made to sit in it for over 30 minutes with a trash bag wrapped around herself.

It makes me so mad to even think about this. Disgraceful. I would have that teacher fired if nothing else.

I have never dealt with an elementary school that didn't have a lost and found style box of spare clothes in the office. Why that poor girl was made to sit in excrement is beyond me.

Just thinking about it gets my momma-bear up. :mad:

BUT ... it wasn't a mandated test. They don't test for real until third grade. It was to "prepare them for the testing environment" that was THREE YEARS AWAY. For crying out loud!!!!

Even if it did count, it is still unconscionable to not allow a small child access to the bathroom when she needs it. What a skewed world we live in when a test is more important than a person - a child with physical and emotional needs that are being stomped on by people who have NO common sense.

I am just enraged by this!

Oh you guys are so sensitive! Don't you see how utterly important it is for a 6 year old to learn to sit through a test!!! I mean come on...what's a little humiliation when test prep is on the line.:glare:

Sorry, done being snarky. I just can't help but shake my head at what a farce public ed has become due to the almighty test.

:iagree:

BUT ... it wasn't a mandated test. They don't test for real until third grade. It was to "prepare them for the testing environment" that was THREE YEARS AWAY. For crying out loud!!!!

I went back and reread the article. The fact that the kindergarten teacher made the decision to follow very strictly the guidelines for 3rd graders has me totally dumbfounded. And then, continues on with the charade while a child in her class sits in poop. What a nincompoop (to put it mildly). She should be fired for not having one shred of common sense and her total lack of understanding 5/6 year old children.

This one really gets my dander up.

Even if it did count, it is still unconscionable to not allow a small child access to the bathroom when she needs it. What a skewed world we live in when a test is more important than a person - a child with physical and emotional needs that are being stomped on by people who have NO common sense.

I am just enraged by this!

I didn't watch the video, just read the article when I posted before. I'm really not understanding the teacher at all now. :confused: They weren't even testing the Kindergarten. It was just a trial run. This teacher needs to lose her job.

I went back and reread the article. The fact that the kindergarten teacher made the decision to follow very strictly the guidelines for 3rd graders has me totally dumbfounded. And then, continues on with the charade while a child in her class sits in poop. What a nincompoop (to put it mildly). She should be fired for not having one shred of common sense and her total lack of understanding 5/6 year old children.

This one really gets my dander up.

I agree. This was incredibly stupid. The test protocol is so ridiculously strict that having a kid get up in the middle of the test and leave the room invalidates the scores for the entire class. BUT SO DOES HAVING A KID HAVE AN ACCIDENT! What an idiot. She should lose her job. I'm just hoping she doesn't have tenure.

When did common sense die when it comes to schools? That kind of 'I need to go to the bathroom' cannot wait for adults and sure as heck not for a 6 year old.

By being so stupid they have set this child up for years of teasing by her peers.

She will have to abide by these stupid timed test rules in FOUR years so by all means let's start stressing her out NOW?

It makes me so mad to even think about this. Disgraceful.

This is the part that really get me too!

It is horrible, and there is no excuse for this teacher's behavior. But I have to wonder why the parents in schools that seem to put the almighty test above needs of students don't unite to bring about a change. Surely they love their children, just like we love ours. Surely they want what is best for their children, the same as we do. Surely they can recognize admin/teacher behavior that is inappropriate or prioritizes tests over students, just like we do. So are they so conditioned to believe that the administrators are always right that they don't recognize the reality of situations? Do they think they have no option than to give in and let schools do whatever they want to do? Do they believe it when they are told that they are the only parents who ever complained about a situation? Do they really believe that the teacher or administrator is always right and knows what is best for students? Are they intimidated by those who insist that 'experts' know what is best and mere parents need to accept it? Are they just used to believing that next year will be better when their child has a different teacher, or that their child just needs to grow up more? Have they just given up? Many people here express that they would pull their child from the class or the school. So would I. I would expect that opinion and action from the people and culture on this forum. But what gives? Why do parents in the ps system allow these actions to continue?

Many kids right now are taking Missouri Assessment Program (MAP) tests, the state standardized testing required by law. Those tests start in third grade, but the superintendent says the reason the teacher was sticking so closely to MAP testing guidelines, even for a kindergartner, is because she was trying to simulate the stringent rules to prepare students for what's to come.

That poor girl. This is so wrong - I'm not a fan of testing anyway, but a kindergartener =/= a third grader.

Thank you for posting this. Every time I get frustrated with one of my dc I look through my file I labeled "Do you really want them back in ps?" . This will be a nice addition.

I don't even want to think of the verbal beating that teacher would get from me if that were my child.

It is horrible, and there is no excuse for this teacher's behavior. But I have to wonder why the parents in schools that seem to put the almighty test above needs of students don't unite to bring about a change. Surely they love their children, just like we love ours. Surely they want what is best for their children, the same as we do. Surely they can recognize admin/teacher behavior that is inappropriate or prioritizes tests over students, just like we do. So are they so conditioned to believe that the administrators are always right that they don't recognize the reality of situations? Do they think they have no option than to give in and let schools do whatever they want to do? Do they believe it when they are told that they are the only parents who ever complained about a situation? Do they really believe that the teacher or administrator is always right and knows what is best for students? Are they intimidated by those who insist that 'experts' know what is best and mere parents need to accept it? Are they just used to believing that next year will be better when their child has a different teacher, or that their child just needs to grow up more? Have they just given up? Many people here express that they would pull their child from the class or the school. So would I. I would expect that opinion and action from the people and culture on this forum. But what gives? Why do parents in the ps system allow these actions to continue?

Not all do. Parents in our area have picketed schools regarding tests and other issues and in one case sued the school board as a group. They were successfully heard on some issues but not on others. It is hard to fight city hall.

I am in awe at the depth of stupidity this teacher showed. :001_rolleyes: If it were my child I would be livid that my child sat in their own body waste because they were taking a test, Then to find out the test doesn't even count! :eek: What education point was made? Learn to hate learning and school?

The first thing that came to my mind was that they need to cover the teacher in feces, wrap her in a plastic bag, and sit her in her classroom for twice as long as the child had to. Then she needs to be fired.

She was making the kid wait so she would be prepared for the testing procedure three years from now??????!!!!!!!! Seriously. The woman is an imbecile.