Menu

If your child takes Pre-Algebra in 9th grade

Can you assign a high school math credit for it or is Pre-algebra not considered high school level work?

My daughter is not going to be ready for Algebra 1 in Grade 9. She struggles a lot in math. We would be doing a total review of math in Grade 8, and then do pre-algebra in grade 9, Algebra 1 in grade 10, Geometry Grade 11. Algebra 2 in 12th.

Can you do that?

Pre-Algebra is not considered a high school credit-- any more than 6th grade history or English would be.

I also would NOT obsess over it-- life is not over if your child does not have 4 high school math credits! Any colleges that want that will probably not be on your radar for that student anyways (STEM fields).

Your goal should be getting through Algebra 2 (skipping or skimming Geometry if necessary). Algebra 2 is considered 'foundational' and if there is even a remote possibility that your student may go college one day they will need it.

I have a dd graduating from college this summer (with HONORS!!!) who only completed 2 high school math credits-- Algebra 1 and Algebra 2. Fortunately for her her degree only required Algebra for College students (review of Algebra 1 and 2 focusing on application-- with some business math/statistics thrown in). Her foundation in Algebra 2 really helped her ace that course. Geometry would not have helped her and she just did not have time (academically)--since each Algebra took her 2 years.

So her high school transcript would not show a Math on it for Grade 9 then? How is this going to effect her Sciences though? What if she does Physical Science in Grade 9, Biology Grade 10, and Chemistry grade 11? Is that science track still possible?

Would this be a good time to add in another 1 credit subject I assume?

She would be taking her Science, History, English, Foreign Language. Any suggestions for a one credit course in Grade 9?

I think you can count it as an elective. But if you need three maths for graduation, or three maths for college admission, it won't count for that. Those must be Algebra 1 and higher.

I am not a math person and took Pre-algebra in 9th grade. Looking back, I probably could have managed Algebra, but at the time, the very thought freaked me out and I convinced my mom that I couldn't handle it. (Oddly enough, I talked her and my Algebra 1 teaching into letting me take Honors Geometry two years later and did well.) So my transcript shows that I took Pre-algebra in 9th grade, and it counted as a "credit" but I still had to complete Algebra 1 & 2 and Geometry for graduation and college acceptance.

HTH