Menu

Cloth diaper rash that I can't get rid of!

My 6 modd has had a persistent rash since we began using cloth diapers. At times it has cleared up some, but for no more than a day at a time and then it is back. It clears up completely when I switch to disposable over 1-2 days. I am using Charlie's soap to wash the Bum Genius pocket diapers. Every few washes I add some oxyclean to kill bacteria. There is not a difference in the rash whether I have used the oxyclean or not.

Please help! I want to make these cloth diapers work, but can't stand that she always has the rash which sometimes gets raw and weepy which I really don't like.

Thanks ahead of time!

Diaperswappers.com might be able to help you...I got all my info from other there when I was CD'ing. I will say that Charlie's isn't exactly hypoallergenic for everyone unfortunately. Definitely search around over at DS though...sooooo much info.

You may want to search the threads here before heading to Diaper Swappers......quite a few moms posted that they had issues with computer viruses from that particular site.

I sure would hate for you to have to be trying to figure out how to get rid of the rash *and* a virus! :tongue_smilie:

As I understand it, AIO dipes can get buildup which can be close to impossible to completely eliminate. I had some thick fitteds which developed a similar issue. You could try buying some fleece and cutting liners out of it(so cheap ugly fleece is perfect!), which would allow you to use desitin or similar without damaging your pricey CDs.

Otherwise, I would probably switch to a different style, if I found I just could not get the buildup out of them.( I would first try a different laundry soap, though, to see if it made a difference to her skin. Poor baby!:grouphug:)

Do go read around on diaperswappers though--you will assuredly find someone with the magic bullet over there; there is just so much accumulated knowledge there!

she could be having a reaction to Charlie's soap.I've read of that happening a lot. You could change to All Free and Clear, or Sun free and clear. Add another rinse, add vinegar to the rinse. or it could be the suedecloth in the bum genius diapers. Some babies have a reaction to that.

Sometimes it takes a little while to find what really works for you. You could add a fleece liner to the diaper as well, that might help.

I'd really switch soaps tho for the first thing to change.

You need to soak them in oxyclean for 2 hours, stirring occasionally to kill any bacteria. Not great for all-in-one diapers, but I would definitely do it at least once, to see if you have fungus/bacteria in the cloth. Just putting it in your wash won't sterilize them.

Ruth in NZ

I'm on Diaperswappers and never had an issue :confused:

Anyway, my suggestion is to REALLY kill the bacteria. Oxyclean doesn't kill bacteria. You can do this a few ways:

1. Cold soak with Bac-Out, then a hot wash with Dawn Non-Ultra dish soap, then a couple of rinses.

or break out the big guns:

2. Wash bleach and Dawn Non-Ultra.

Can you sun your diapers? I would REEEEEEALLY recommend that, especially if you are dealing with a possible yeast rash, the sun will kill it. Plus, the sun gets rid of stains really well.

Can you switch to prefolds? Some kids are sensitive to pockets. Also, I heard that some kids are even sensitive to Charlie's.

You need to soak them in oxyclean for 2 hours, stirring occasionally to kill any bacteria. Not great for all-in-one diapers, but I would definitely do it at least once, to see if you have fungus/bacteria in the cloth. Just putting it in your wash won't sterilize them.

Ruth in NZ

I agree, but would use another product, as suggested in the post above mine. I would also change detergent. I always added vinegar to the rinse (as suggested by another poster). Use the hottest washer setting to wash the diapers. Switch to cloth wipes and wet them only with water. Try a little calendula oil (Weleda makes a good one, and our Target sells it) on baby's bum and no thick creams like Desitin.

My favorite diapers were trim instead of super-thick. You can always add cloth liners if you need extra protection. I felt the thinner diapers got cleaner.

http://www.babybunz.com/Snugglebottoms.html

If all else fails? Baby could have a fungal infection and need a medicated cream to clear it up.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Maybe adding a disposable liner will help keep the wetness off the skin. This is the likely cause of the rash. I used to use kushies disposable liners and they were great. Helped with the poop clean-up as well. I just had to take the poopy liner out and flush it and the diaper was chunk free.

I also would sun the diapers from time to time- talk about gleaming white! You could also sun the baby's bottom (or air it out anyway).

I haven't had trouble at Diaper Swappers, but this concerned me:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367417&highlight=diaper+swappers+virus

Do you have any covers that aren't AIOs that you can try with cloth diapers?

You can also use a hair dryer on a cool setting to dry your baby's bottom at diaper changing time.

I'm pretty sure she said they were pocket diapers.

I use tide. It's local and works for us with our hard water. I know some babies react badly to Charlie's so that's the first thing I would change.

What's your wash routine? I have a front loader and this is what we do: a cold hand wash to get rid of ickies, a whitest/white wash with extra soil selected (supposedly to help add more h20) and then a normal warm wash. And we rarely have problems. I also use a normal amount of detergent. None of this 1 tablespoon junk. Your dc is peeing and pooping on the diapers. Get them clean. I add Calgon water softener when I remember. :D

As far as diaperswappers.com I've never had a virus, but I don't use Internet explorer. I use firefox with adblock. I have a lot of antivirus, anti malware software on my computer. Most of the time now days I browse on my iPad with their app.

I agree, but would use another product, as suggested in the post above mine.

In NZ what you use is called Nappisan, which is a sterilizing agent. I assumed Oxyclean was the same, perhaps not!

If all else fails? Baby could have a fungal infection and need a medicated cream to clear it up.
:iagree:

Also UV is great. The problem with the fitted diapers is that the sun cannot penetrate all the folds. I actually used very large squares that I folded. These you could open up completely and sterilize in the sun.

Maybe adding a disposable liner will help keep the wetness off the skin.

We used these too.

Huggies! :D

I calculated my full cost including detergent and energy (but no drier, I hung them on the line), and it was about $110 for 2 kids. beat that! :D I've spent all the money that I saved on homeschool curricula!

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

Triple Paste is an $ rash lotion, but well worth it. This will help in the healing process while you figure out the problem. We did not use cloth, but my DS was allergic to almost all detergents as a child. Even someone who used a scented detergent on their clothing would cause his face to break out if he was held by them.

We use All Free & Clear, but I don't know if that will have the bacteria killed effect you need. I hope you can clear baby up. :grouphug:

It could also be a reaction to the fabric itself. I have come across more than one baby who can't tolerate the fleece or other synthetic fabric in their pocket diapers against their skin and just get rashes constantly. They used a pocket with a cotton inner which solved the problem.

I would throw them in the wash on hot with NO soap or detergent whatsoever. After the agitator gets going a minute, open the washer - do you have suds? If yes, than that is your problem. It's possible that the diapers are not rinsing well enough. You will need to keep running hot cycles without detergent until water is clear.

Then going forward, I would switch (as pp suggested) to ALL Free and Clear (or Purex Free and Clear) and use as little detergent as you can and still see that things are getting clean. Always check your rinse water - you may need to add a hot cycle without detergent after the wash is over. (I remember reading about some people switching their hot and cold hoses so they could run a hot/hot cycle or a warm/hot cycle by choosing cold/cold or warm/cold on their machine.)

Thank you. Thank you. For more details on what I have been doing . . .

I have been doing a cold rinse, then washing on hot, rinsing and then doing an extra rinse.

I discovered early on that it was easier to use cloth wipes with water and throw them in to wash with the diapers than figure out what to do with a dirty wipe, so the wipes are not the culprit.

It sounds like from the responses it could be the Charlie's, the suede in the pocket diapers or just the extra moisture not being wicked (sp?) away from her skin. I don't think it is the suede because there is no difference when I use the disposable liners. You would think that would provide a little barrier that would make it somewhat better.

I will try laying them out in the sun and using one of the other detergents that was suggested. If I don't see any improvement then, I will try using disposables at night. I think I am already getting her really dry in between changes now.

It is funny to me that as I think through this I am thinking I need to let my 8ds and 10dd get some practice with the scientific method on this problem. I guess it is one of those you know you are a homeschooling mom when . . . moments!

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

My dd could only use All Free & Clear or tide. She did best with cotton and we had to stop using aio or pockets. We used kissaluvs or mother ease. I gave up on fancy diapers and switched to frequent changes with just cotton. Much better for her. Ive done vinager soaks at times...or sunned my diapers. We used huggies at night for sleeping.

I also used butt balm on her bottom.

I would try a different soap.

It could very well be your laundry detergent.

As I've said before, I've used Amway's laundry products for over 30 years, including the diaper years ;-) and my babies had happy bottoms :) (diaper rashes only ocurred when they ingested dairy products...long sad story). Also, Mr. Ellie used to have a rash *there*, beginning in high school; none of his doctors ever figured it out (one told him it was syphillus, but Mr. Ellie *knew* he didn't have that!). The rash cleared up when I began using Amway laundry products.

In NZ what you use is called Nappisan, which is a sterilizing agent. I assumed Oxyclean was the same, perhaps not!

:iagree:

Also UV is great. The problem with the fitted diapers is that the sun cannot penetrate all the folds. I actually used very large squares that I folded. These you could open up completely and sterilize in the sun.

We used these too.

I calculated my full cost including detergent and energy (but no drier, I hung them on the line), and it was about $110 for 2 kids. beat that! :D I've spent all the money that I saved on homeschool curricula!

Ruth in NZ

And you can sell them when you're done! Do that with Huggies! LOL!

Chiming in - I would strip the dipes using Dawn dish soap. If your washer doesn't get hot enough for a sanitize cycle you can either 1) add several large pots of boiling water to your washer if it's a top load, or 2) put your dipes in your dishwasher. I use the BumGenius pockets, and they do need to be stripped periodically.

If you think your DD might be sensitive to the suede, you can try making some 100% cotton flannel liners.

Depending on how much she pees at night, you might want to try putting her in sposies overnight. I had to do that w/DD2 since she is an incredibly heavy peer. She had weepy sores on her bottom that would not go completely away no matter what I did. They cleared up once I put her in sposies at night. Haven't had a problem, or any hints of it coming back, since then.

I'd start by stripping the dipes-check for suds while washing on hot with no soap. I use and like CHarlies, including for cloth diapers, and I don't think you'd have a ton of buildup from it though. But I'd start there.

Any detergent or soap can cause contact dermatitis, so it could be the detergent without any buildup present.

What happens if you put DC in a prefold and a cover?

Like PPs have said, many kids are sensitive to suedecloth, fleece, or other synthetics. I'd put that at a high likelihood as the culprit.

Rash doesn't look yeasty? Do you know how to identify a yeasty type of diaper rash? Google some images if you haven't already or discuss with your ped.

Thank you. Thank you. For more details on what I have been doing . . .

I have been doing a cold rinse, then washing on hot, rinsing and then doing an extra rinse.

I discovered early on that it was easier to use cloth wipes with water and throw them in to wash with the diapers than figure out what to do with a dirty wipe, so the wipes are not the culprit.

It sounds like from the responses it could be the Charlie's, the suede in the pocket diapers or just the extra moisture not being wicked (sp?) away from her skin. I don't think it is the suede because there is no difference when I use the disposable liners. You would think that would provide a little barrier that would make it somewhat better.

I will try laying them out in the sun and using one of the other detergents that was suggested. If I don't see any improvement then, I will try using disposables at night. I think I am already getting her really dry in between changes now.

It is funny to me that as I think through this I am thinking I need to let my 8ds and 10dd get some practice with the scientific method on this problem. I guess it is one of those you know you are a homeschooling mom when . . . moments!

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

have you tried another kind of diaper? I would get some cotton ones and try those. They really are the easiest to care for. I used the BG pockets until my son grew out of them and then switched to prefolds and covers. Wow, so easy to clean! I also liked fleece pockets. Wonderfully soft and easy to wash and dry.

hope it clears up for her, and you. I loved using cloth diapers. I miss doing it.

Ruth in NZ

Not dealing with poopy-diapers or diaper rash.....priceless!!! :D

Bill

When I did diapers, I soaked them overnight in hot water (well, the water was hot when it went into the washer, lol) and Amway's dry bleach, with half the amount of water in the tub. In the morning I drained the washer and ran it again with hot water, SA8, and dry bleach, adding fabric softener at the rinse. We'd had a diaper service for the first six months, and I had been spoiled by white, white diapers. :-)

I would NOT have presoaked the diapers in any liquid bleach, 'cuz that stuff eats fabric. :glare: However, Amway products do not, and even with the detergent *and* the bleach *and* the fabric softener, we didn't have diaper rashes (from the diapers).

My favorite diapers were trim instead of super-thick. You can always add cloth liners if you need extra protection. I felt the thinner diapers got cleaner.

http://www.babybunz.com/Snugglebottoms.html

If you do end up getting any new dipes and covers, :iagree: with Mrs. Mungo. These are my favorites. I am using mine on baby #6 and they look great.

I agree with others regarding using a disposable at night. I resisted doing that for a long time. Now I use them at night with each baby and get more sleep because they sleep longer at night!;)

I hope you get it figured out soon, and I would add vinegar in the rinse wash if you aren't doing that already. The ph of the diapers is important (and would be a good science lesson for the girls!).

I haven't read any of the comments, so forgive me if this has already been mentioned. Do you boil your liners? My ds had a rash problem several months after we began using cloth pocket diapers (we use Kawaii's), and someone told me to boil the liners for a couple minutes every couple months because it gets rid of any soap or bacteria build up. It really works for us. Here is what I do...

I rinse out the used diapers and keep them in a pail of vinegar water (I pour, probably about a cup or two of vinegar in the bottome of the pail and fill it about 2/3 full with water). Then on washing day, I run them through a rinse cycle, heavy duty wash cycle & rinse with vinegar. Every couple months after the rinse cycle I will boil the liners for about 5-8 minutes then wash as usual and then dry (sometimes outside on the line, sometimes in the dryer). Oh, I also use homemade laundry soap (Fels naptha soap, baking soda & water).

I hope you find something that works. I absolutely love cloth diapering! It saves so much $$, but not cool if your little one is not happy & comfortable.