Menu

Hotel WWYD?

Hotel WWYD?  

1. 1. Hotel WWYD?

• Regular room will be fine.
    • Pay the extra $70 for the bedroom.

Will try to figure out how to add a poll to this one......

We are joining DH on a business trip. The hotel that we want to stay at is in a great area, close to a whole bunch of shops/activities, etc so we aren't interested in changing in hotels.....however, we are discussing the type of room to book. Here are the choices;

OPTION #1

Large room (450 sq. ft) with 2 Queen beds with a rollaway bed

DS2 will be in the playpen we bring

DS5 can sleep on the rollaway

DD8 & I in one bed

DS10 and DH in the other

OR

OPTION #2

1 bedroom suite with 1 king bed, then a pull out sofa in the living room area.

DS2 in the playpen

2 boys + DH in the bed (they all snore :glare:)

DD and me on the pull out

Option #1 doesn't require us to pay anything extra. Option #2 would be an extra $70/night.

I personally think the extra $$ makes sense so that we can put the kids to bed and then still have some space for ourselves. And i don't have to wear ear plugs. DH thinks we would be just fine in a regular room. We can afford it - but DH does not see the value when, in his words "we will just be sleeping there".

So help me out. Do you think we would be ok in a regular room? We've always stayed in hotels that had the separate bedrooms so I am a little spoiled ;)

How many nights will you be staying?

A big question to me is the bedtime planning. I assume :-) that the 2 YO and the 5 YO go to sleep substantially before the bigger kids and the adults. If you are all in one big room, how does that work? Can they sleep with lights on and activity in the room? Or does everyone go to sleep at the same time? I've always liked suites, or at least rooms where I can put little ones down in a separate room with the light off, and the adults/bigs can stay up later and read, discuss plans for the next day, etc.

I would go with the suite. It's a nightmare to have six people in a single room.

I realize you said you want to stay at this particular place but Travel Lodge (Travel Inn? Something catering to business clients, with Travel in the name) had nice two (private) bedroom, with a sitting area (and pull-out couch) and kitchenette suites that were very reasonable, back in the days when I traveled for work. A co-worker and I spent several trips to a Va Beach client there.

It may pay to look for something that caters to extended stay.

When you say suite, are you sure there's really a separate area? Many times it's still one room, but there might be a small half wall between the two areas. It's still all open though if you know what I mean. Unless the suite actually has a door, there's no point and I'd stick with the big room.

Thanks all.

We are there for 5 nights. DH will be in meetings all day - the kids and I will be exploring during the day.

There is a Homewood Suites 20 minutes away which would be good (perfect in fact) but then I'd have to drive him to the office early every morning and pick him up every night. If we stay at this hotel, a colleague can pick him up.

The whole bedtime thing is what makes me think we need the separate bedroom!!! I can't see all of us ready for bed at 8pm? DH figures that we will all just go with the flow and if the kids stay up late - then so be it. Easy for him to say when he will be at the office all day and I will be with the (potentially) overtired, cranky kids.

Did I mention we are driving down? 16+ hour trip, broken up over 3 days with other hotel stays along the way.

It sounds so exciting in theory..... :tongue_smilie:

For me, the only reason I’d pay the money to get the suite/extra room would be so that my husband and I had a chance to be alone, stay up late to watch a movie, etc! It doesn’t sound like either of your options allow for that.

If we had the suite, I’d put all the kids in one room and my husband and I in the other. (And we’ve done that many times!)

If we had the regular room, I’d at least have my husband and I in the same bed. Also, at that age, I don’t think it’s a problem for your son and daughter to share a bed.

When you say suite, are you sure there's really a separate area? Many times it's still one room, but there might be a small half wall between the two areas. It's still all open though if you know what I mean. Unless the suite actually has a door, there's no point and I'd stick with the big room.

Yes - a door that actually closes :001_smile: With a little kitchenette as well.

For me, the only reason I’d pay the money to get the suite/extra room would be so that my husband and I had a chance to be alone, stay up late to watch a movie, etc! It doesn’t sound like either of your options allow for that.

If we had the suite, I’d put all the kids in one room and my husband and I in the other. (And we’ve done that many times!)

If we had the regular room, I’d at least have my husband and I in the same bed. Also, at that age, I don’t think it’s a problem for your son and daughter to share a bed.

that may work better - having the kids all in one bed with us on the pull out.

Can you afford the extra room? If so, it would be nice esp. during the day if the little ones need a nap or just space to spread out and play.

At night I would put all the kids in one room and you and dh in the other if at all possible. Even if one has to camp out on the floor they will likely think it is fun and you and dh can have some time together.

If it was just one night I'd say save the money. But with dh in meetings during the day, he might need some space in the evening to unwind. You can choose to join him for the unwinding if you like. In any case, after a few days, you're all going to go nuts in the one room, and dh might be stressed from being all crammed together.

When our kids were little, we loved having the separate room so the kids could watch tv or go to sleep or whatever. We'd want to talk and we needed the space.

You have a long drive, several days in the hotel, four kids, AND you're pregnant. Spend the money.

We've had six in a room like your first one for five days. We put DH, my littlest, and I in one bed (same arrangement as home). The boys in another bed. My daughter on the pull out. It worked fine for us.

We let the kids stay up (usually in the pool until 9pm), and we all go to sleep together. I just let the kids sleep in a bit in the morning before heading out for the day.

We've done that three times (though twice it was five of us...no DH). During the day, we hit the zoo, children's museum, forestry museum, park, waterfalls, etc. The days were long and tiring, but it worked out fine, and everyone passed out on the drive home.

"other"....

so, if the other suite hotel twenty minutes away would be ideal, how much would a cab cost for dh each way? less than $70- ? or how about renting a compact car? or the city's public transit system?

if it is seventy a night for five nights, we're really talking $350-, and you can easily rent a car, even if its a second car, for less than that.... or take a cab..... or ????

it sounds like a blast!

ann

Will try to figure out how to add a poll to this one......

We are joining DH on a business trip. The hotel that we want to stay at is in a great area, close to a whole bunch of shops/activities, etc so we aren't interested in changing in hotels.....however, we are discussing the type of room to book. Here are the choices;

OPTION #1

Large room (450 sq. ft) with 2 Queen beds with a rollaway bed

DS2 will be in the playpen we bring

DS5 can sleep on the rollaway

DD8 & I in one bed

DS10 and DH in the other

OR

OPTION #2

1 bedroom suite with 1 king bed, then a pull out sofa in the living room area.

DS2 in the playpen

2 boys + DH in the bed (they all snore :glare:)

DD and me on the pull out

Option #1 doesn't require us to pay anything extra. Option #2 would be an extra $70/night.

I personally think the extra $$ makes sense so that we can put the kids to bed and then still have some space for ourselves. And i don't have to wear ear plugs. DH thinks we would be just fine in a regular room. We can afford it - but DH does not see the value when, in his words "we will just be sleeping there".

So help me out. Do you think we would be ok in a regular room? We've always stayed in hotels that had the separate bedrooms so I am a little spoiled ;)

Unless you are staying awhile, I'd go with the cheaper option which sounds like it will fit you all better. It really isn't easy to stuff three mid to full sized people in a king.

Thanks all.

We are there for 5 nights. DH will be in meetings all day - the kids and I will be exploring during the day.

There is a Homewood Suites 20 minutes away which would be good (perfect in fact) but then I'd have to drive him to the office early every morning and pick him up every night. If we stay at this hotel, a colleague can pick him up.

The whole bedtime thing is what makes me think we need the separate bedroom!!! I can't see all of us ready for bed at 8pm? DH figures that we will all just go with the flow and if the kids stay up late - then so be it. Easy for him to say when he will be at the office all day and I will be with the (potentially) overtired, cranky kids.

Did I mention we are driving down? 16+ hour trip, broken up over 3 days with other hotel stays along the way.

I LOVE staying at Homewood Suites. They have a free breakfast and offer a free dinner Monday - Thursday. The dinner even comes with free drinks (soda, hot tea, coffee, wine, and draft beer :)).

Thanks all.

Hotel pull outs are very uncomfortable for teens and adults because of the lack of support. Kids are often light enough that it doesn't bother them. Most hotel pull-outs are rigged so that you can't put the mattress on the floor, which would offer reasonable comfort...

For a family for 5 days, it would be worth your while to check out VRBO (Vacation rentals by owner). When our family went to WIlliamsburg for 3 days, we got a condo with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, living room, kitchen, hot tub and access to really nice outdoor pools for LESS than a hotel room with 2 queen sized beds! Not only did we save money on lodging, but on food, since we could easily prepare meals in the condo.

Hotel pull outs are very uncomfortable for teens and adults because of the lack of support. Kids are often light enough that it doesn't bother them. Most hotel pull-outs are rigged so that you can't put the mattress on the floor, which would offer reasonable comfort...

Do you have an air-mattress or two you could bring along, and put on the floor? That might help a lot.