Menu

Pre-Alg: TT vs NEM

We've used Singapore all the way through (& LOVED it) and are also using (& loving) LoF. I'm planning to continue LoF & use AoPS for Alg I. I hadn't really decided what to do about NEM, though.

I just did an online chat w/ SL, & the lady said NEM is very hard for "the average parent" to implement. Do you think that means people who are already using & loving SM or...other people? She strongly rec'd TT, which I like the look of for my 4th g'er, but...I'm hesitant for mathy ds. The samples were pretty...weak.

What do you think? :bigear:

I really think that if you've done all of Singapore Primary, TT will be nothing but easy review.

The TT website has a bunch of interactive sample lessons for Pre-Algebra; go there and play around with it and see what you think.

I don't know why I didn't think to try the samples. Oh my gosh! That was awful! I think it's weird that SL is pushing teaching text books so much. :001_huh:

Thank you!

*If* AoPS is your plan for Alg 1, then choosing TT (either the algebra or the prealgebra) for your student's prealgebra doesn't make any sense. They'd be at the opposite ends of the spectrum for depth and difficulty. My guess is that the same could be said about TT and NEM being opposites in depth and difficulty.

If you are seriously looking at AoPS for Alg 1, then IMO you should strongly consider AoPS Prealgebra. I've only used the Prealgebra so far, but it may significantly ease the jump to AoPS Intro to Algebra (see, for example, the list of videos under construction for the algebra - the starred ones are shared with Prealgebra). For a student who has had success with Singapore and is aiming for AoPS Intro to Algebra, choosing the Prealgebra seems like a no-brainer. It's a fantastic text.

An old thread for you:

Trying to decide on math - NEM, DM, AoPS

I just did an online chat w/ SL, & the lady said NEM is very hard for "the average parent" to implement. Do you think that means people who are already using & loving SM or...other people? She strongly rec'd TT, which I like the look of for my 4th g'er, but...I'm hesitant for mathy ds. The samples were pretty...weak.

What do you think? :bigear:

I think NEM is probably more difficult than some curricula for a non-mathy parent... but it's not that much more difficult. If you're worried about it though.. I've heard Discovering Mathematics (also Singapore) is a bit more user-friendly and more like Primary.

I think NEM is probably more difficult than some curricula for a non-mathy parent... but it's not that much more difficult. If you're worried about it though.. I've heard Discovering Mathematics (also Singapore) is a bit more user-friendly and more like Primary.

I'm really not worried about it, but I didn't want to be arrogant either. LOL

*If* AoPS is your plan for Alg 1, then choosing TT (either the algebra or the prealgebra) for your student's prealgebra doesn't make any sense. They'd be at the opposite ends of the spectrum for depth and difficulty. My guess is that the same could be said about TT and NEM being opposites in depth and difficulty.

If you are seriously looking at AoPS for Alg 1, then IMO you should strongly consider AoPS Prealgebra. I've only used the Prealgebra so far, but it may significantly ease the jump to AoPS Intro to Algebra (see, for example, the list of videos under construction for the algebra - the starred ones are shared with Prealgebra). For a student who has had success with Singapore and is aiming for AoPS Intro to Algebra, choosing the Prealgebra seems like a no-brainer. It's a fantastic text.

An old thread for you:

Trying to decide on math - NEM, DM, AoPS

Huh. It's been about a year since I looked at Algebra texts & chose AoPS. I wonder if I forgot about their pre-alg or overlooked it or what? :confused: :lol:

Anyway, we're joining a coop thing that pays for books, so I'd been trying to focus on what they offer (not AoPS), but I thought that wasn't an issue yet. Hmmm...

*Going back to look at AoPS website to try to remember what I was thinking.* :D

ETA: It looks like pre-alg wasn't out yet when I looked last. So maybe this IS a no-brainer! :D

Edited by Aubrey

Huh. It's been about a year since I looked at Algebra texts & chose AoPS. I wonder if I forgot about their pre-alg or overlooked it or what? :confused: :lol:

Anyway, we're joining a coop thing that pays for books, so I'd been trying to focus on what they offer (not AoPS), but I thought that wasn't an issue yet. Hmmm...

*Going back to look at AoPS website to try to remember what I was thinking.* :D

You didn't miss it last year - the prealgebra book was just published in Aug 2011