Menu

Looking for an elementary level book about scientists who "discovered" chemistry....

Rosie

We're doing RS4K Chemistry (Pre 1) and my girls want to know more about how all of this stuff about atoms and molecules and reactions, etc. was discovered. Does anyone have any good biography suggestions for me?

It doesn't matter if the reading level is high. They are good readers, but if it's too high I can just read it to them. It needs to be interesting for their age ranges, though. They are 6 and 8.

Thank you!

Edited by Rosie

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a book like you describe specific to chemists. I know that Bryson's A Really Short History of Nearly Everything and Usborne Story of Science touch a little on the lives of some famous chemists, but you might have better luck searching for books on individual scientists that catch your interest, maybe starting with Eyewitness Great Scientists or something like that? Marie Curie is fascinating and there are several books about her if you do a search on Amazon. My kids liked The Day-Glo Brothers, but they didn't "discover" anything, but for applied chemistry their story is A+.

If you're willing to work a little, The Disappearing Spoon by Sam Kean is written for adults, but I thought it was intersting and engaging. You might want to pre-read the Amazon sample and see if you could make it work, if the kids have interest and you're willing to read it aloud. I find it goes very nicely with The Elements.

ETA: It looks like there's a children's biography series called "Uncharted-unexplored-unexplained" that has several biographies of chemists. I haven't read any of them so can't vouch for their quality and I don't see many reviews, but some look cheap used. Might be worth a shot. :)

Edited by jar7709

Try for biographies of Marie Curie? The structure of atoms & molecules also overlaps with physics ... there's not a lot for young elementary, it looks like, but check this out. Might you look at the Noeo program bookilsts? and Ellen McHenry's Elements program gets good reviews often; you could search here for threads on it and see if it would be a good resource; the digital download is about $15, I think.

We really enjoyed Exploring the World of Chemistry by John Hudson Tiner. It does have a Christian POV and a few subtle ID references, but nothing that I as a OE, theistic evolution-leaning Christian had a problem with.

I was just going to say that this is the book we're using next year to enrich our Chemistry lessons through BFSU 3-5.

This book is great for elementary and middle school. Discusses the earliest recorded discoveries in chemistry in a narrative format.

The Mystery of the Periodic Table

http://www.amazon.com/Mystery-Periodic-Living-History-Library/dp/188393771X/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1334795653&sr=8-11

:iagree:This is exactly what you want.

We really enjoyed Exploring the World of Chemistry by John Hudson Tiner. It does have a Christian POV and a few subtle ID references, but nothing that I as a OE, theistic evolution-leaning Christian had a problem with.

We loved this one too. I considered it one of my year's best a couple years ago when we used it. I ended up buying the whole series by John Hudson Tiner because he is just so engaging. My 6 year old would go around telling people why the Antarctic expedition failed and other interesting chemistry stories.

:iagree:This is exactly what you want.

On the book it says for middle school and up. I'm saving Mystery of Periodic Table for 7th grade or so for ds to read himself. It looks great!

I'm reading the Tiner book aloud to ds next year.