Menu

Dear Dr Hive, wwyd?

Last week I hurt my foot by jumping down off of my counter and landing on it wrong. I went to the ER, but I didn't see anyone, and it wasn't x-rayed for about 3 hours. It was a really busy night because there was a big jump and the wind was up. There were lots of soldier injuries (which take priority).

When they did x-ray it? It seemed like they were trying to x-ray my ankle more than my foot. When I finally saw the doctor, she kept referencing my ankle and how easy it was to damage those tendons until I said, "I didn't hurt my ankle, it is the front and right side of my foot that is hurt." She looked a little taken aback, by said, "well, I'm sure the radiologist checked everything." They gave me a brace/splint thing that goes on my ankle and doesn't cover the injured bit of my foot. They said it would still stabilize it.

Today I was getting in the bath, stepping in with my left foot, so bearing weight on my injured foot. I turned; it felt like something sort of popped in my foot and now it hurts much worse than it did before, and I cannot bear wright on it without quite a lot of pain. The nurse suggested seeing my primary care doc, but it was recently changed (we never know why these changes happen). I haven't seen this new doc, and he won't see me without a new patient appointment, which could take a couple of weeks. Plus, he has no x-ray machine in his office, so how would that help?

Should I go back to the ER?

Last week I hurt my foot by jumping down off of my counter and landing on it wrong. I went to the ER, but I didn't see anyone, and it wasn't x-rayed for about 3 hours. It was a really busy night because there was a big jump and the wind was up. There were lots of soldier injuries (which take priority).

When they did x-ray it? It seemed like they were trying to x-ray my ankle more than my foot. When I finally saw the doctor, she kept referencing my ankle and how easy it was to damage those tendons until I said, "I didn't hurt my ankle, it is the front and right side of my foot that is hurt." She looked a little taken aback, by said, "well, I'm sure the radiologist checked everything." They gave me a brace/splint thing that goes on my ankle and doesn't cover the injured bit of my foot. They said it would still stabilize it.

Today I was getting in the bath, stepping in with my left foot, so bearing weight on my injured foot. I turned; it felt like something sort of popped in my foot and now it hurts much worse than it did before, and I cannot bear wright on it without quite a lot of pain. The nurse suggested seeing my primary care doc, but it was recently changed (we never know why these changes happen). I haven't seen this new doc, and he won't see me without a new patient appointment, which could take a couple of weeks. Plus, he has no x-ray machine in his office, so how would that help?

Should I go back to the ER?

Do you have an urgent care or clinic? That's always my first choice before the ER.

They closed our urgent care clinic. I know, it's ridiculous.

I'm out of the bath. My foot is way more swollen, I can't even get my flip-flop on it now. So, heading back to the ER. Sigh.

:grouphug:

I had no idea it was still bothering you! I know this doesn't help matters, but I'd want to let someone know that you made every attempt to tell them that they were addressing the wrong body part when you were previously there, and that they simply disregarded the information. They need to work on their communication skills, at minimum!

Instead of the ER, could you go to an orthopedist????

:iagree:

In Feb. I did something to my left ankle/leg, and limped around for 3 weeks -- even biking around town -- until finally seeing the doctor. Turns out it was a break all the way through my fibula (no idea how it happened, and yes, it's my fault for waiting 3 weeks!). My 'regular' doctor, and the X-ray place, didn't know how to read the films right -- such a relief to see an orthopedist (the same day); I really felt in good hands there. Such a relief! [Cast --> boot --> brace, etc.] Please go and get it seen by someone who has X-ray access! That twist/pop in your foot sounds scary! :001_huh:

:grouphug:I think you've probably broke your foot. :(

I've broke mine and it hurt exactly how you've described yours (the top and to the outside). Ended up that my heel bone was broken, it kind of curves around the outside of your foot. I bruised a bit down by the heel, even though that wasn't where it hurt. Thankfully I went to an orthopedic first (at few days after it happened) and he saw the break right away and put me in a cast.

Hopefully the ER will be able to help you.

So, the second SIX HOUR trip to the ER determines that I have a spiral fracture of the fifth metatarsal bone. I see an orthopedist next week, and I am in a giant boot thing in the meantime.

LOL, that's why I waited three weeks to go to the doctor initially ... the colossal waste of time it would entail (plus I thought it was a sprain and would get better ... it wasn't as painful as yours). The 'giant boot thing' is what I have now ... I've graduated to wearing it just outside the house. It's a lot better than the cast, though! Glad you finally got help and will see the orthopedist!

Mrs. Mungo :toetap05: Jumping off the counter? Tsk tsk! I admonish my kids for doing that... for reasons like what happened to you!

I am forevermore using you for an example! :D

Glad you have it taken care of :) Make the kiddos do your bidding!:tongue_smilie:

So, the second SIX HOUR trip to the ER determines that I have a spiral fracture of the fifth metatarsal bone. I see an orthopedist next week, and I am in a giant boot thing in the mean time.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I'm so sorry, but glad you finally got a proper answer!

Mrs. Mungo :toetap05: Jumping off the counter? Tsk tsk! I admonish my kids for doing that... for reasons like what happened to you!

I am forevermore using you for an example! :D

My ceiling was dripping water. I had to climb on the counter to see where it was coming from. I am only 5'1" and my dh was out of town. I decided it was condensation coming from the a/c vent. But, I landed wrong when I jumped down. :tongue_smilie:

Glad you have it taken care of :) Make the kiddos do your bidding!:tongue_smilie:

:grouphug: I am glad that you went back and they identified the problem and are working on it. Here's hoping you heal quickly. I would settle back on the couch and have the family fetch me a Mike's.

I am working on it, but I am out of Mike's. :( I am also about to take a percocet before I go to sleep, probably not wise.

I am working on it, but I am out of Mike's. :( I am also about to take a percocet before I go to sleep, probably not wise.

My sister always takes her pain meds with a glass of wine. I always mention the bottle's warnings about alcohol intensifying the effects, to which she usually replies, "Duh. That's the point!" :tongue_smilie:

Two of my kids have had broken bones (I know, bad mommy) and both times the ER misdiagnosed them. The second time (about a month ago) I had to lead the doctor through basic diagnostic skills. 1st doctor said it was a pulled tendon in the shoulder. I showed her that if you hold the elbow (so that the shoulder is not involved) and rotate the arm the pain is felt in the lower arm (so it must have something to do with the function of the radus and ulna). The second doctor told me he would eat his shirt if it was broken and that it was a dislocation (excuse me doc, I told you it was an impact injury). We were sent home. The third doctor was sure it was the elbow and was adament about x-raying the elbow. I told her it was the wrist and finally conceded to the x-ray when she told me that the x-ray would also show the wrist. It turned out to be a buckle fracture in the radius just above the wrist.

My conclusion is that the patient has to perform a full set of diagnostic tests on themselves and figure out the diagnosis before they go anywhere near a doctor's office if they want to have the problem taken care of in just 1 visit.:glare:

I hope your foot heals quickly. I agree with pp, make your kids do your bidding.:)

Oh, and I too jump off the counter from time to time.