Menu

rethinking Chemistry again

Ds is done with TC chemistry and wants to do lab work right away. I was going to round his chemistry ed with BJU Chemistry and he is balking at that.

I have the Chemistry:the central science by Brown....8th ed via Prentice Hall. I can use this with Thompson home lab book

This is just the student text. I can use this but however I have no way of grading so how would I do that?

Also what about zumdahl that is raved alot? Where do you get this?

thanks

Holly

This is just the student text. I can use this but however I have no way of grading so how would I do that?

You write a test using similar problems to the homework, working them out with the help of your text so you have a grading key. Then grade your student's test. Or as a shortcut, you can use the worked out chapter examples from a different textbook, so you automatically have a solution key.

Or you find a chemistry exam online and give that. Many professors post old exams with solutions for their students to practice.

On amazon, of course. Used, if possible. Older edition. Or on abebooks.com.

Be warned: Zumdahl is a very rigorous and meaty text.

You write a test using similar problems to the homework, working them out, and grading them. As a shortcut, you can use the worked out chapter examples from a different textbook, so you automatically have a solution key.

On amazon, of course. Used, if possible. Older edition. Or on abebooks.com.

Be warned: Zumdahl is a very rigorous and meaty text.

WHOA the price tag on Zumdahl is :eek::svengo:

I think I will have to do more rethinking...If you have a different recommendation fire away. :)

Holly

WHOA the price tag on Zumdahl is :eek::svengo:

That's why I said: do not buy a new book, and do not buy the current edition. The 6th edition can be had used for as little as $3.52.

http://www.amazon.com/Chemistry-Steven-S-Zumdahl/dp/0618221565/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334771527&sr=8-1

If you have a different recommendation fire away.

As I posed in the other current thread about chemistry: we are using Chang General Chemistry: The Essential Concepts and are very happy with it.

Again: used older edition for a few bucks.

Is there a specific name of the kit?

labpaq.com right?

Thanks

Holly

There are many to pick from. This is what I posted in the current labpaq thread.

We used labpaq for chemistry.

http://lab.labpaq.com/product-overvi...-overview-page

We have used a kit with 21 experiments which I can not seem to find, but for a general idea, click here:

http://lab.labpaq.com/kd-ChemKit-101.htm

You get all supplies and chemicals (except fro general household items such as vinegar, distilled water, tooth picks...), plus a CD with a detailed lab manual. The kit is easy to use, the instructions are clear. All supplies are packaged per single experiment.

Hi Holly,

You might check out the CK12 materials; Robert Bruce has recommended the chem materials to go with the Illustrated Guide. If you go with the first edition, there is a workbook with lots of problems.

http://www.ck12.org/flexbook/

You can request teacher's editions and assessment materials. Several of their flex books are available for iPads and other devices for kids who love technology.

Peace,

Janice

Are you looking for another chemistry program or just labs? You could use the Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry if he really just needs labs with a little reinforcement on the topic.

I am currently looking online for a lab kit to go with my dd's chem course. I found CK01 by the Home Scientist (http://www.thehomescientist.com/kits/CK01/ck01-main.html) produced by Robert Bruce Thompson, author of the best-selling Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments: All Lab, No Lecture. It looks pretty good and the price isn't too bad. . :bigear:

Another kit I was looking at is http://curriculumexpress.com/chemistry-lab-kit.html

Labpaq is another neat one I am looking at and some on this forum have highly recommended it. I'm not sure which kit would be a good choice for the Chem book I have though. I was looking at this one: http://lab.labpaq.com/ck-s, but it's a bit pricey.

Edited by gyetvaimom

I'd suggest that you carefully compare the details of the various kits you're considering.

For example, although at $299 that LabPaq you linked to looks expensive, it includes a digital scale, digital multimeter, and other relatively expensive items, which many competing kits do not.

Also consider the number of repetitions that each kit provides. Many kits provide several, typically five, but some provide only sufficient materials for one use. With one of the former kits, you can usually re-use it in a year or two for another student, or give/sell the kit to another homeschool family.

Finally, compare the scope of each of the kits. Some of the simpler and less expensive kits provide only a few experiments and hit the high points without getting into a lot of depth or breadth. If that's what you want, you can save some money by going with one of those kits. All vendors list at least the number and names of the experiments in their kits. Many provide a sample lab so that you can judge whether their labs will be appropriate for your student. Some vendors make their entire manual freely downloadable, which makes it easier to do a full comparison.

I'd suggest that you carefully compare the details of the various kits you're considering.

For example, although at $299 that LabPaq you linked to looks expensive, it includes a digital scale, digital multimeter, and other relatively expensive items, which many competing kits do not.

Yes, but we have a digital scale and a digital multimeter. We don't have a hot plate or burner though.

Also consider the number of repetitions that each kit provides. Many kits provide several, typically five, but some provide only sufficient materials for one use. With one of the former kits, you can usually re-use it in a year or two for another student, or give/sell the kit to another homeschool family.

What is the shelf life of the kits? If I buy the kit and use it for one student, can I save the kit for a couple of years for the next child to use?:)

Finally, compare the scope of each of the kits. Some of the simpler and less expensive kits provide only a few experiments and hit the high points without getting into a lot of depth or breadth. If that's what you want, you can save some money by going with one of those kits. All vendors list at least the number and names of the experiments in their kits. Many provide a sample lab so that you can judge whether their labs will be appropriate for your student. Some vendors make their entire manual freely downloadable, which makes it easier to do a full comparison.

Yes! Thank you for providing the lab manual on the site. It has been wonderful to view the procedures for the lab experiments. (Remembering my college years in junior and senior level chem and micro labs :))

The manual is thorough and straight forward. I have not found other kits sold to have a manual that I can download and compare though. Can you direct me? :D Thanks for your suggestions and help!

What is the shelf life of the kits? If I buy the kit and use it for one student, can I save the kit for a couple of years for the next child to use?:)

Yes. We state the shelf-life of the CK01A kits as two years, which is probably conservative. In our own home lab, we have examples of all of the solutions that are included in that kit that were made up in 2007 and remain good. We can't guarantee a five- or six-year shelf life, because we have no control over storage conditions and so on, but reusing a kit after two or three years shouldn't be a problem, assuming the bottles are tightly capped and stored in a cool, dark location.

Yes! Thank you for providing the lab manual on the site. It has been wonderful to view the procedures for the lab experiments. (Remembering my college years in junior and senior level chem and micro labs :))

The manual is thorough and straight forward. I have not found other kits sold to have a manual that I can download and compare though. Can you direct me? :D Thanks for your suggestions and help!

I don't remember off the top of my head, but I know I've seen other kits with manuals that are freely downloadable. I think the AP chemistry kits that are made by Aldon and relabeled by many resellers have downloadable manuals, but I can't swear to that.

thanks

Holly

I bought a study guide for Zumdahl's Chem on Alibris.com for 99 cents + shipping. I can't tell you off hand how much I saw the texts for, but I did see several editions for sale.

Yes. We state the shelf-life of the CK01A kits as two years, which is probably conservative. In our own home lab, we have examples of all of the solutions that are included in that kit that were made up in 2007 and remain good. We can't guarantee a five- or six-year shelf life, because we have no control over storage conditions and so on, but reusing a kit after two or three years shouldn't be a problem, assuming the bottles are tightly capped and stored in a cool, dark location.

I don't remember off the top of my head, but I know I've seen other kits with manuals that are freely downloadable. I think the AP chemistry kits that are made by Aldon and relabeled by many resellers have downloadable manuals, but I can't swear to that.

Thank you, thank you!