Menu

How to put those cute smileys in your post

Okay, lots of people have been asking about how to put the smileys in their posts, so I thought I'd make a little tutorial. I'll try to be as explicit as possible for those who are more computer-challenged. First, you open a few of the smiley sites in another window or tab. Here are some popular ones:

Smiley Repository

Free Smileys

Best Smileys

Okay, when you go to these pages, you will see an index of categories, like "Laughing" or "Dancing" etc. Find a smiley you like.

Now, the different sites handle the next step a little differently. But usually you will see a string of information that will start with brackets [] and "img" inside and end with brackets and "/img" inside.

So now what you want to do is make sure that the string of info is highlighted. Sometimes this happens when you click the desired smiley. Sometimes it will be in a box below the smiley and you have to click on the info, or right-click and drag over it to highlight it.

Anyway, once it's highlighted, you can either type ctrl-c (that's the control button and c at the same time) or you can right click the highlighted part and select Copy.

Now, come back to the WTM page and open a reply box and click inside it to make sure you cursor is ready. Now type ctrl-v (control button and v at the same time) or right click within the text area and select Paste. When you do this, the string of information will appear in the text box.

If you click Preview Post (I think you have to be in Advanced mode for that) you will see your jolly little smiley, although it won't be animated in preview mode.

Now, all you have to do is type any text you want to include, click Submit, and presto-chango you have a nifty smiley in your post!

Now, let's see some smileys!!!! cowgirl-041.gif

None yet! I haven't even tried it yet. I'm just one of those don't use the instructions people b/c it's too much info. at one time! I'll try it later b/c they are too funny. I've got to get my exercise in this AM so I can get some circulation to the old brain cells going!:hurray: That's actually me exercising...since I can't get anything else!

None yet! I haven't even tried it yet. I'm just one of those don't use the instructions people b/c it's too much info. at one time! I'll try it later b/c they are too funny. I've got to get my exercise in this AM so I can get some circulation to the old brain cells going!:hurray: That's actually me exercising...since I can't get anything else!

Well, let me know when you're ready to try and I'll talk you through it one step at a time. K?

And uh, could you do a few sit-up for me while you're at it? :tongue_smilie:

yup. definitely needing coffee this morning. lol

I'll work on fixing that....:D

If you are going to insert an actual web address of your smiley (starts with http without the brackets and img) you will need to use the mountain icon with the yellow background. When you click on it, it will open a box and you insert the url. It already gives you the http:// so make sure you don't enter it twice.

5.gif

Just that easy!

For those of you who are ready to move on to the next level, here is a site that requires a little more effort...

The Smilies

The code that this one gives you will include some extraneous information. The secret is to delete everything to the left and right of the brackets [] and img codes.

What you want is for your code to start with brackets with "img" inside, and end with brackets and "/img" inside.

Clear as mud?

teacher.gif

Thus endeth the lesson for now.