Menu

Winter Promise? Their language arts?

Mrs. Lilac

Has anyone used language arts from Winter Promise? I think they look really good, from the samples....I'm SO hesitant though, because after much Googling, it seems their reviews trend to the negative.....slow shipping, bad customer service, and errors in the materials. Those reviews turned me off to ordering one of their themed programs, but I'm still enticed by their LA.

Would love any feedback on WP and/or their LA! Thanks all! :)

I emailed them 10 days ago and still haven't heard anything back. I was willing to give them to the benefit of the doubt.

Apparently they still have problems with calling them, but it seems to be a percentage higher in able to contact them via phone.

My email was a simple question e.g. "no" a one word email back would of sufficed. Its really made me quite irked and, I did intend to purchase from them later on, but now :confused:

Unfortunately I don't have the access to phoning them as I live in Australia, and IMO they shouldn't provide an email if everything gets spammed and/or they don't answer it. I may sound quite jaded, but its just because I am extremely disappointed, as I was excited about their stuff, and willing to ignore previous bad comments

:crying:

We use their LA and like it a lot (I actually got the LA used off this site to go with the humanities curriculum I ordered new from WP). It is a good, basic spine that can be easily built upon by a knowledgeable parent, or it can be "enough" as is. I do think it is somewhat overpriced for what it is, but I haven't seen anything else I like better. Since we use WP, it makes a certain amount of sense for us to use the matching LA anyway.

I have found that the best way to get in touch with them is by phone (which is admittedly inconvenient if you're not in the States). Yes, their shipping is unbelievably slow, so plan accordingly or order e-books and get the rest from Amazon.

No. I was going to, but decided it was too workbooky for us. They have samples on their website. :D

They are SLOW to answer emails, but if you ring them they answer right over the phone.

We had NO trouble with Winter Promise CS. However, I ONLY ordered WP exclusives from them. Everything else I ordered from Book Depository with free shipping.

The big complaints in Australia was that the exclusives showed up quickly & that the books trickled in. I saw this happening a lot, so I ordered ONLY the exclusives. Had them within a week's time or something like that & then ordered my books. :D

• 1 year later...
Guest blessed3

We love their LA too!  They have a new website and are great at communicating through email, Facebook or on the phone.  We are using their LA 4 with my son.  The program can now be purchased as ebooks then printed out & hole punched at Staples for $13 using their rewards code...what a deal!  

I have been searching for this style of LA for a while and feel fortunate to have come across it. Usually all-in-one LA programs are weak in grammar.  Winter Promise language arts is strong grammar.  Students are more than just learning their grammar but they are applying it as well.  On the same note, their creative writing is more just journaling their thoughts on a subject.  In their creative writing the student will use their grammar and sentence structure.  This is fun and gentle enough, yet high quality learning, that the my son (a reluctant writer) looks forward to these lessons.  Their programs are very creative through and through!  

The LA can be used a part from their "theme" programs nicely, but are set up to correlate with which ever "theme" you choose to use.  They sell reader packages to go with their LA according to the time period you are studying, but you can use any set of readers you chose.  Their readers do correspond with their LA.  An example would be, for creative writing, the student may be asked to write about a character in their reader, but you can substitute with any character they may be reading about.  

We will be ordering "Stories to Short Chapters" for my 2nd grade daughter.  She knows all the sounds that level teaches but is a reluctant reader.  She is looking forward to the squirrel phonics games that comes along with the program, and going through the write-in-reader with the animals from Pine Hollow.  She has been reading books to gain fluency and is progressing....gradually, but hates to read.  I could put her in the next LA level, "Readers to Real Books", but I want her to gain confidence in her reading before moving ahead.  These stories are engaging and fit her personality well.

• 4 weeks later...