Menu

What is a scone to you?

Now, don't you open up a can of worms on how to *pronounce* scone, or we may have WW3 on our hands. :tongue_smilie:

Yeah, I know I'd better leave that one alone. :)

"I asked the maid in dulcet tone

To order me a buttered scone

The silly girl has been and gone

And ordered me a buttered scone."

Tone/Scone or Gone/Scone? Both are correct :)

Whatever you do, don't lose your appetite worrying about the pronunciation :D

Oh, I just can't let this go by. My mother (Highland Scots) drilled it into me that it was short-o scone (as in gone, in above poem). The long-o scone (as in tone) was the Stone of Scone. Since she told me countless times, I feel duty-bound to pass this on.

Edited by Alessandra

My vision of scones comes from either Scotland or England. No yeast. I can't recall if it uses baking soda or baking powder. Definitely not fried. :eek:

Perhaps a little jam......yum!

Fried bread? I think I would call that.......fried bread.:D

Yes. I think there is some confusion between a scone and a donut/fritter/beignet.

My mom made Utah scones all the time. They are fried bread dough, literally. She'd double her bread dough recipe, which was originally for two loaves of bread, but she only had three pans. The fourth ” loaf” would be rolled out and cut or pinched into squares or rectangles, which were then dropped into a pan with about three inches of cooking oil in it. (We had a designated bottle for saving the cooking oil for reuse for the next batch of scones.)

You don't let them get crispy. They are slightly chewy on the outside, and a little puff of fresh baked bread on the inside. Awesome with cinnamon butter, unless you are eating them with soup or chili. Then just butter.

Funny thing is, my mom was a convert to the LDS church and not from Utah, but I think the same friend who taught her to make bread also taught her to make scones.

Navajo fry bread is a little different. They are crispy, and don't rise much. I think they are essentially a bread dough, but have baking powder instead of yeast as the leavening agent?

Navajo fry bread is a little different. They are crispy, and don't rise much. I think they are essentially a bread dough, but have baking powder instead of yeast as the leavening agent?

Yes, that's the way my Navajo fry bread recipe works. Fry bread also doesn't have sugar, and when I make scones, they have sugar in the dough.

Oh, I just can't let this go by. My mother (Highland Scots) drilled it into me that it was short-o scone (as in gone, in above poem). The long-o scone (as in tone) was the Stone of Scone. Since she told me countless times, I feel duty-bound to pass this on.

When we were staying with family in England 2 summers ago, the pronunciation came up. My cousin's daughter (then 13) said that only pretentious people say scone to rhyme with tone. She actually kind of giggled at me for saying it that way.

However, when I hear scone/gone it think "snooty" for some reason. It's right up there with "shed-u-al" rather than "sked-u-al." And I know it's just a regional variation, but there: now you all know my biases :D

When we were staying with family in England 2 summers ago, the pronunciation came up. My cousin's daughter (then 13) said that only pretentious people say scone to rhyme with tone. She actually kind of giggled at me for saying it that way.

However, when I hear scone/gone it think "snooty" for some reason. It's right up there with "shed-u-al" rather than "sked-u-al." And I know it's just a regional variation, but there: now you all know my biases :D

As far as my mother (born & raised in the Highlands north of Inverness, with some of the family speaking Gallic as a first language) was concerned, there was only one correct way to say scone the biscuit (i.e. with short o). Other pronunciations were aberrant & abhorrent. Truly. She was always amazed that Americans couldn't learn that one simple thing.

As far as my mother (born & raised in the Highlands north of Inverness, with some of the family speaking Gallic as a first language) was concerned, there was only one correct way to say scone the biscuit (i.e. with short o). Other pronunciations were aberrant & abhorrent. Truly. She was always amazed that Americans couldn't learn that one simple thing.

Ah, but you know... The lovely Scottish short /o/ is quite a bit different from the American short /o/. :)

I think it sounds lovely when a Scot pronounces scone with his lovely Scottish /o/; but I think it sounds equally lovely (and equally correct) to hear an American pronounce it with a long o.

(Dad's Scottish.)

Oh dear. I hope this doesn't start a long debate about crepe as long a or short e, sauna as an /aw/ or /ou/, etc. :D

I was suprised when I visited the States at what you guys call the scone and what you call the cookie.

Here in the UK this is what we call a scone.

4622_MEDIUM.jpg

and this is what we call a biscuit - its much thinner than the pic and its what you guys call cookies

tumblr_lh4vt1zUdo1qcopl9o1_500.jpg

and this is what we call a cookie - much thicker than a biscuit

chocolatechipcookies_72335_16x9.jpg

I think (hope?) most Americans know what British biscuits are (because there are usually imported ones in the cookie aisle), but here in the US a biscuit looks like this:

biscuits-7.jpg

so you can see why people are comparing them to UK-type scones. They look a lot like the UK scones but are usually flakier and I think are eaten with butter and/or gravy? Not a southerner, so someone correct me if I'm wrong here...

I don't know where the triangle-shape thing came from in US scones - is it all Starbucks' fault?? Triangular US scone here:

chocolate-cherry-scone-l.jpg?400:400

And I've been the only one to think the Utah "scones" sound like fried dough - is that also what others are calling fry-bread or fried bread? Those names don't exist here. This is fried dough:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQccFSfyk5P4jqc9J05LdC-i8WLqkKTNhj6DfvNSI504oh1LfjLg

Do we have a picture of the Utah variety?

Edited by matroyshka

I think it sounds lovely when a Scot pronounces scone with his lovely Scottish /o/; but I think it sounds equally lovely (and equally correct) to hear an American pronounce it with a long o.

(Dad's Scottish.)

Oh dear. I hope this doesn't start a long debate about crepe as long a or short e, sauna as an /aw/ or /ou/, etc. :D

Leaving aside scone & crepe, tell me about saunas. Not debate -- but I always follow the language (e.g. 'soda' or 'pop') threads, so I think I need to learn about saunas, lol.

ETA Wiki has both forms as correct, FWIW

The pronunciation of the word within the United Kingdom varies. According to one academic study, two-thirds of the British population pronounce it /ˈskɒn/, rhyming with "con" and "John", with the preference rising to 99% in the Scottish population. This is also the pronunciation of Australians, Canadians and New Zealanders. Other regions, particularly the United States, pronounce the word as /ˈskoʊn/, rhyming with "cone" and "Joan". British dictionaries usually show the "con" form as the preferred pronunciation, while recognizing that the "cone" form also exists.[1]

Edited by Alessandra

Well I live in the south west of the UK so a scone to me is something you put jam and clotted cream on, slightly sweet and no yeast. We also make savoury ones with cheese and herbs and no sugar.

:iagree: Although I'm from Oregon, but my Granny was from Suffolk.