Menu

Easy British Lit.

DD is doing a British Lit class at our co-op. I know they are using Smarr Publications, but what they are reading doesn't line up with their listed works:

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight*

Idylls of the King*

Beowulf*

Macbeth

Hamlet

Utopia*

Romeo and Juliet

Othello

Selected Essays of Jonathan Swift*

Selected Poetry of Alexander Pope*

She Stoops to Conquer*

Frankenstein

A Tale of Two Cities

Wuthering Heights(?)

Pride and Prejudice

Arms and the Man*

World War I British Poets*

The ones I starred and the ones I don't remember buying. The ? is one I don't remember. She hasn't talked about it and they only have 3 weeks left in co-op so I don't think they included it.

Maybe Lightning Literature?

hewitthomeschooling.com

There are samples online.

I haven't used it, but have read reviews about it, it seems to fit your requirements.

Also, Lifepacs may work as well. aophomeschooling.com Again, there are samples online.

Learning Language Arts Through Literature: Gold: British Literature is quite "lite" -- it is mostly just reading the works, with some comprehension questions, just a very few discussion questions, some writing assignments, and just a very little info on a literary element or two, enough to then ask how it was used in the work. The poetry section is the stronger part of the program, with more explanation and background information than the prose section.

LLATL:Gold is considered a 1 semester course, so if you spread it out over about 24 weeks to make the reading load easier, and by adding in some additional lit. guides to beef up the analysis, you can easily add 2, possibly 3, Shakespeare plays and a few sonnets with individual lit. guides and you'd have a full-year's course that was a British Lit overview plus Shakespeare.

LLATL:Gold is written to the student; answers in the back. It covers:

- Frankenstein (Shelley) -- novel

- Emma (Austen) -- novel

- A Tale of Two Cities (novel) Dickens

- The Time Machine (Wells) -- novella

- Animal Farm (Orwell) -- novella

- poems from 11 poets

see table of contents and sample pages

see scope and sequence

If you wanted then just needed individual guides for Shakespeare plays, you could use individual lit. guides:

- Sparknotes free online guides (also a free "No Fear Shakespeare" Sparknotes, which is side-by-side original text and modern translation)

- Glencoe Literature Library free online guides to Hamlet, Julius Caesar, A Midsummer Night's Dream, The Tempest

- Parallel Shakespeare guides/materials to Hamlet, Taming of the Shrew, Midsummer Night's Dream, Romeo & Juliet, Julius Caesar, Macbeth, King Lear, Othello, Merchant of Venice

- Lightning Literature: Shakespeare Tragedies & Sonnets (a full 1 semester course) -- Hamlet, Macbeth, Julius Caesar, King Lear

- Lightning Literature: Shakespeare Comedies & Sonnets (a full 1 semester course) -- Twelfth Night, As You Like It, Midsummer's Night Dream, Merchant of Venice

- Progeny Press Christian guides to Hamlet, Macbeth, Merchant of Venice, Julius Caesar, or Romeo & Juliet

- Brightest Heaven of Invention: Christian guide to 6 Shakespeare Plays -- Henry V, Julius Caesar, Hamlet, Macbeth, Much Ado About Nothing, Taming of the Shrew

Edited by Lori D.

My son did Sonlight's Core 530 Brit Lit. While I would highly recommend that course in general, DON'T get it if she needs a light load! :D

My daughter will be doing Lightning Lit early Brit Lit next year. It's much lighter, but still thorough in its review/literary discussions/writing projects/questions.

Here's the link: https://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/Materials/mItem.aspx?id=3442

The guide has the course broken into a semester-long course, or a year-long course, depending on how heavy a reading load you desire.

Dd is using AOP's Lifepac for Brit Lit overview this year. I'm surprisingly pleased with it! It is a nice overview and goes into quite a bit of detail about the author and the time period.

Can you tell me what the pages are like as far as the student work? I looked online and all the samples are the first few pages and don't really show you what the student does besides reading the material. Does the program have your student read the full works?