Menu

Test for giftedness?

Should I have my 6yo tested for giftedness? What benefits are there to testing...I obviously can see she learns faster than siblings. Do you test when there is an obvious problem in keeping them challenged? Or as soon as its obvious this child is different? Or do you just ignore the testing, and label the kid gifted yourself and seek out appropriate resources that fit that child?

--Deidre

If you are homeschooling, you probably don't need to test unless you see signs of a 2E situation (LD + giftedness) or you want access to certain gifted programs (I believe most of those are for slightly older kids? I haven't looked into them much).

I have my son work at the level he is slightly challenged by. It's going great. I'm not worried about testing. It really wouldn't tell me anything I don't already know. I'm not afraid to give him work multiple grade levels above his age-grade level.

If you are homeschooling, you probably don't need to test unless you see signs of a 2E situation (LD + giftedness) or you want access to certain gifted programs (I believe most of those are for slightly older kids? I haven't looked into them much).

:iagree:

When I've talked with psychologists and done reading, the comment has been, "You test when you want the answer to a question."

We've done standardized testing annually (just so my son can get used to the type of test). We have done talent searches: Johns Hopkins CTY (2nd grade), Northwestern NUMATS (3rd grade), Duke TIP (4th grade). We've had testing done through them. (Giving names so you can search for them if you're interested in looking more.)

Due to my son's Explore scores this year, we did get an IQ test done. But... we did have a question now - and we were able to get it done at the university. An IQ test is costly for just curiosity.

We'll still teach our son at the level he's at... but it also did help with reassurance. Hearing the tester say that homeschool is right for him was nice.

Ok. She has 2e siblings, but so far she shows no signs of learning disabilities, and I have no idea what gifted programs are around here....so I guess we're good! I'm not sure I'm challenging her at all...but the highest level stuff she still got 100%, but moved slowly so didn't like it as much, so I backed her down a bit. She CAN do it, but prefers the easier work, though I wouldn't say its challenging at all. Is this right?

About the standardized testing...I'm about to register her for her first standardized test. What grade level do I test her at? The grade she would be in (K), the grade of her lowest subject (Math, 1st), or the grade of most of her subjects (2)? (I can rule out the grade of her highest subject.)

What's the purpose of the talent searches?

Talent searches can open up online classes. Or classes at the location or satellite locations if you're in the area. You can look at their programs and see if some might be a good fit.

I tested my son on level in the first grade and then out of level in second. You might start with the first grade test.

For standardized tests, I'd test based on where you'd want her to go back into school IF she were to have to go back tomorrow. If you'd want to accelerate, testing her a year up would be a way to support that. If you'd want to go in with her age/grade, test there. While I'm sure DD would be fine tested WAY above her official grade level, I wouldn't want to send her back to school all day with kids that much older than she is if she would have to go back, so I'm fine with using that particular test to check off the "completed X grade's requirements" box. I mostly use released tests (or, recently, the DORA/DOMA) for out of level/more open ended testing, and plan to start talent search testing when DD's eligible for the EXPLORE.