Menu

If you hav to homeschool without buying any books then???

brill123

I would like to know what free resources you could use then for your child's whole year?

Grammer-Mcgraw hill/Macmillian or kiss grammer

Spelling-Spelling connections or Mcgraw hill

Writing-?

Reading-?

Maths-?

Science-?

Geography-Settara and Shepphard softwares

Waiting for your inputs...

Grammarland

The book is available free, plus someone on-line has free worksheets available to go with it.

I would also check out Ambleside Online:

http://amblesideonline.org/HELP.shtml

Do you have a local library that offers used book sales? Many of the libraries in this area offer books for something like $1 a bag during the last few hours of the sale. I always hit their sales the first day, but make sure I go back during the last hours as many good books surface then.

:iagree:

There was a thread on free curricula. I think it was in the last 6 months.

I can't access it on my phone, though.

Try searching for it?

Sandra

I also suggest ambleside. I just found it this weekend and told dh I could have done school for free! Lol. You definitely need a good library though!

Edited by Ohmomjacquie

Try this web site: freelyeducate.com

The web site was put together to be an encyclopedia of sorts for free or very inexpensive hsing resources.

It lists each subject category - just click on the subjects you want to check and you'll find info about free materials in that category.

I would like to know what free resources you could use then for your child's whole year?

Grammer-Mcgraw hill/Macmillian or kiss grammer

Spelling-Spelling connections or Mcgraw hill

Writing-?

Reading-?

Maths-?

Science-?

Geography-Settara and Shepphard softwares

Waiting for your inputs...

The library. Copywork from good resources (i.e., the Bible, classic, good literature from the library). Words misspelled from copywork for spelling: alphabetize the words, divide them into syllables, write the etymology, write sentences with them; or words from spelling bees (probably available in the library). Reading good literature. Science from the library. Geography from the library; defining terms and drawing maps; reports on different contries or continents using books and atlases from the library.

We also counted activities such as Camp Fire and 4-H as part of our school.

Some museums offer free days during the week.

We found many places to visit for field trips from our local newspapers, magazines such as Sunset, and the AAA tour guide book.

So far, there hasn't been a penny spent. :-)

This article has suggestions for doing arithmetic for younger children. Games such as Yatzee and Uno! use arithmetic skills.

Still no money spent (unless you have to buy games). :)

It's very possible to home school without buying materials and still have materials to work with.

Ask for free materials on your local hs list - ours does a blessings bash twice a year and everyone brings things to give away. If they don't do anything like this in your area maybe you could start one? If they've been used erase or white-out the answers. If you have a local home school resource center or book store, ask if they do scholarships {some do!}.

Check out http://curriculumshare.com and ask for materials there. They do ask that you post at least 1 item first but it can be anything you have.

Check out paperbackswap for materials - there is quite a bit of materials available on pbs.

join sites such as swagbucks & irazoo to earn points, then cash them in for amazon gift cards to buy materials. It doesn't sound like I lot, but I earn about $5 a month just doing my regular internet searches. If you work at it you can earn quite a bit, especially if you have family members you can refer.

Put in a request to The Book Samaritan - they are a global charity who's goal is to provide homeschooling materials to those in need. If you are not picky on what you get, you can often get close to or everything you'll need for a year, totally free.

Watch the free curriculum and free for shipping curriculum threads here on the forum - I've seen so many things posted for free here it's amazing. Post a list on both threads with what you're looking for - I know there are several of us {myself included} who actively watch for materials free that I know someone else is looking for.

If you have an area college with an education program, check them. Two of the colleges near us have all kinds of textbooks, workbooks, gameboards, cd's, etc. This and the regular library was how I was homeschooled 7-12. I don't even think my parent's bought anything, expect the usual school supplies and maybe a few discarded books (and of course the occasional library fine :D). Wait there was one thing...........TWTM when it first came out!!!!

If you have internet access at home, try Head of the Class and Internet 4 Classrooms.

Head of the Class covers prek-5th (they will eventually go through 8th) & is a full free online curriculum covering all subjects. You can customize it for each student, which is a very nice feature for a free curriculum. You could have a child do 3rd grade math, 5th grade science, 4th grade art, and 2nd grade language.

Internet 4 Classrooms is prek-8th and covers all the subjects plus SAT & ACT prep. It has links to everything you could possibly want & more!

Spelling City is a fun way to practice spelling & vocabulary.

Lesson Pathways has complete, laid out lesson plans for grades K-5 & covers all the subjects too. There is a planner so you can schedule the pathways in advance for each student.

The library. Copywork from good resources (i.e., the Bible, classic, good literature from the library). Words misspelled from copywork for spelling: alphabetize the words, divide them into syllables, write the etymology, write sentences with them; or words from spelling bees (probably available in the library). Reading good literature. Science from the library. Geography from the library; defining terms and drawing maps; reports on different contries or continents using books and atlases from the library.

We also counted activities such as Camp Fire and 4-H as part of our school.

Some museums offer free days during the week.

We found many places to visit for field trips from our local newspapers, magazines such as Sunset, and the AAA tour guide book.

So far, there hasn't been a penny spent. :-)

This article has suggestions for doing arithmetic for younger children. Games such as Yatzee and Uno! use arithmetic skills.

Still no money spent (unless you have to buy games). :)

:iagree:Back when our oldest was the only one schooling I did not use any purchased curriculum except a $20 HOP workbook I picked up at Sam's. Everything was put together by me from the resources available at our library. As I tried to juggle multiple students who were all in mom-intensive stages I picked up more and more curriculum; not because I couldn't put it together myself, but because I put a higher value on my time right now. (And TBH, there are a couple of things I used purchased curriculum for this year and we decided that mom's homemade was better.)

There are an abundance of good, free materials available on the web. If you have printer ink and a good library, homeschooling can be done for next to nothing.

Grammar- KISS grammar or something like Sheldon's PLL or ILL

Spelling- Spelling City

Writing- Sheldon's

Reading- AO or HUFI

Maths-MEP

Science-Mr Q Life Science, Head of the Class

Geography - Mater Amabilis, HUFI

What is HUFI?and links of Sheldon's writing,Mater Amabilis n HUFI?

In addition to all the great resources mentioned...

Writing- Brave Writer Lifestyle; Primary and Intermediate Language Lessons (Serl, free on Google books now)

Reading- Use a good booklist--like this one-- and read! For reading instruction, there is Starfall, and Progressive Phonics.

Maths- MEP is free. Khan Academy has a lot. Ray's Arithmetic is on Google books too.

Science- Khan Academy; Mr Q's Life Science

And here's a link to a list with a LOT more!