Menu

Europhiles, your experiences in Barcelona and the Costa Brava, please.

We're headed back to Switzerland this summer (at this point, the only season we can go, unfortunately) and I'm looking for input on a side-trip. I actually wanted to go first to England, then head to CH, during which time we'd make a foray down to Rome. I don't want to spend the whole time in CH as we've done so often in the past. Our last trip over, we went with the older boys to Rome and that was a huge success. My younger boys have been looking forward to doing a similar excursion.

My husband is of another mind and would like nothing more than to just hang out in his home village for three weeks. He isn't interested in England, and doesn't want to "be stuck in Rome" (I know, I know!) again. I'm trying to find a happy compromise, and one option is to head to Spain. We have family who own a vacation cottage there, near Girona (north of Barcelona). Hans would be up for this, and my older guys would rather see a new place than go back to Rome. I would either take the younger ones to Rome on my own, or save that for another year.

As a lifelong Europhile, I'm game for anything, but I do have a soft spot for Italy and am comfortable there as I've visted a number of times. I've never been to Spain, but I hope to walk the Camino between now and, er, the future. I'm not well-versed in Barcelona (where my older guys would like to spend a couple of days) and environs and would love to hear your recommendations. Also, we would likely drive from Luzern to Spain, so if you have a favorite spot between those two points, please share.

ETA: Naturally, I'm poking about the graffiti wall on Rick Steves' site, but I thought I'd ask here, too. : )

Edited by Colleen

Well, I was in Barcelona in 1989, so it's been quite a while, but I loved it. I stayed with a friend and his family. Much of the time was spent on the nightlife- I had just turned 20 at the time, so a very different trip than one with kids. :D

But, I remember strolling down Las Ramblas, going to see the Gaudí sites (the Sagrada Familia was cool even under construction), going to the harbor and seeing a statue of Cristobal Colon, eating tortilla española, drinking lots of sangria (homemade by my friend's sisters). I'd love to go back. I think it would be a good side trip for you and your kids.

Well, I was in Barcelona in 1989, so it's been quite a while, but I loved it. I stayed with a friend and his family. Much of the time was spent on the nightlife- I had just turned 20 at the time, so a very different trip than one with kids. :D

But, I remember strolling down Las Ramblas, going to see the Gaudí sites (the Sagrada Familia was cool even under construction), going to the harbor and seeing a statue of Cristobal Colon, eating tortilla española, drinking lots of sangria (homemade by my friend's sisters). I'd love to go back. I think it would be a good side trip for you and your kids.

Thanks, Lynne. That homemade sangria...mmmm!!! A lot of my European travel was back in the day when I was footloose and fancy free. Definitely a different take-away than 25 years down the line.:D

Well, I wasn't going to reply because it's been so long since I've been in Catalunya. But I absolutely adored Barcelona. I stayed with a family there, so I had local guides and translators. Once when we went to Sagrada Familia, we got to meet and talk with one of the architects. So amazing. Definitely try to see all the Gaudi you can. There is also a church that has the oldest surviving rose stained glass window, Santa Maria del Pi. I really enjoyed the Miro museum. Las Ramblas is fantastic. Casa Batllo is my favorite Gaudi building. If you can find a group dancing the sardana in a square somewhere, either in Barcelona or a smaller town, that is really fun. The Gothic Quarter is great, of course. I still have a beret I bought there. I also stayed in Vilanove i la Geltru. Absolutely gorgeous. I love pa amb tomaquet, and cava! I still have my Catalan-English & English-Catalan dictionaries buried somewhere, even. I did have one frightening experience on one visit. I was awakened by the. loudest. noise I've ever heard in my life. My friend didn't wake from the noise, but from me. I was told to check if any windows were broken. None were, so we all went back to sleep, as it was probably just a small bomb. :001_unsure: It was a molotov cocktail thrown into a politician's office downtown. The separatists are really nothing to be afraid of, though. We drove from Paris to the border once, and took a train from there, but I don't remember where we stopped. HTH.

Thanks for the replies, annlaura and LeslieAnne. I'm sidetracked right now trying to figure out where we'll stay in CH since the house I'd planned to book isn't available. (Our friends & family can't accommodate all of us, and I prefer having my own space.) I'm really hoping the sidetrip to Spain comes together. Driving there and/or back I'd like to stop in Nimes and Carcassonne, so if anyone has input on those areas, let me know.:)

I walked the Camino about 10 years ago, and plan to do it again in a few years with the kids. I started and ended the trip with some time in Barcelona. What a trip! I highly recommend it! If you ever need Camino info let me know; I polled pilgrims along the way and developed a perfect packing list. :D

We spent three days in Barcelona in one of the small hotels just off the top of La Rambla, recommended in the Rick Steves book. It was decent, but staying in a villa outside town would be even nicer.

La Sagrada Familia is still under construction. Another poster mentioned "when" it was under construction. LOL. Of course all the Gaudi sites were of interest. The Gaudi house/museum in Parc Guell (sp?) was def. worth the time.

Other highlights: the Picasso museum in the Gothic Quarter, two Roman columns within a small quadrangle of modern buildings (I know you've seen Rome, but the juxtaposition is intriguing, and it's a three-minute look/see onyour way to somewhere else).

All up in the MontJuic area: the National Art Museum of Catalunya http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/5057/ ,

the Magic Fountains (nighttime music-and-light shows were outstanding!), the Spanish Village.

The Maritime Museum, Barcelona soocer team stadium and museum, and Architecture museum might appeal, but we did not see them.

Someone else mentioned the sardana. There is a lovely, large square just N of the Catedral Barcelona in which we happened upon a sardana group unexpectedly, I think mid-afternoon on a Sunday. : ) ETA: "You can also see this type of traditional Catalan dancing throughout the summer months in the sunlit early evenings starting around 18:00 to 18:30. Within Barcelona, hot spots include plaza Jaume I on Sunday Evenings as well as the nearby grounds of Catedral de Barcelona on Saturday evenings." copied that off an internet article for ya...

There are a couple of other cathedrals that were lovely; Sagrada Familia felt cold.

The open air market on the way to Parc Guell was fun. Mmm...love those Spanish almonds.

Edited by Valerie(TX)

Oh! Do tell! This is something my son is talking about doing. And has intrigued me as well.

I could talk about it for hours! :D Do PM me.

It was one of the most important things I have done in my life. It was fun too... pilgrim does not equal tourist in any one's mind. It is a special category, and you are treated so differently, it is a research paper in itself! I went alone, but met people of every faith and nationality. I am not Catholic, in fact was agnostic with pagan/buddhist tendencies. Now that I have converted to the Orthodox faith I want to experience it again with those eyes.

And the food! The wine! Playing cards with people of all ages and nationalities on the patio of the medieval monastery we were staying in (I was the only American as it was not long after 911). The music, the aching legs, the Roman roads, the goats and cats that follow you, the old village ladies asking you to pray for them when you reach Santiago. The fortresses and pubs, the vineyards, the mud! The cold nights and warm days, the friends that I will never forget. I brought home a walking stick cut from a fruit tree by an old man in a cap, a great treasure. The clinking of the shell on my backpack in the rainy silence of endless fields. The oranges! The morning cafe con leche, and pastries, and hunks of cheese shared with strangers near a ruined stone fountain. The crazy Germans who carried a stove and gave me alcohol every time I passed them. Singing Ramones songs with an Italian pilgrim in the middle of nowhere!

And on one day, when I was crying and alone and tired,the most spiritual thing that had ever happened to me, that showed me the Why, that led me to be a new person, that started me to where I am now.

I can't wait to go back.

(Just go in April, BEFORE tourist season. You will never have to worry about finding a bed to sleep in. And pm me for that packing list! I have it perfected!)

Dh and I went to Barcelona about a year ago. We loved it! Barri Gotic was a great place to just wander around. The gothic cathedral is gorgeous. Sagrada Familia is too modern for our tastes, but it was worth a visit. We liked Barcelona more than Rome, but we enjoyed Rome, too. :)

Thanks for the replies, annlaura and LeslieAnne. I'm sidetracked right now trying to figure out where we'll stay in CH since the house I'd planned to book isn't available. (Our friends & family can't accommodate all of us, and I prefer having my own space.) I'm really hoping the sidetrip to Spain comes together. Driving there and/or back I'd like to stop in Nimes and Carcassonne, so if anyone has input on those areas, let me know.:)

I was going to mention that you have to stop and see the Pont du Gard on your drive from CH to Barcelona. We also spent an afternoon in Nimes, but we didn't enjoy that as much as the Pont du Gard. (I think that was mostly due to a fussy 18 month old, and you won't have one of those. ;) )

Will you be passing through Orange? I thought the audioguide at the Roman theater there was one of the best I've seen. If you only have time to see the Orange theater or the Nimes arena, I'd pick the theater.

OK. I should stop before I have you stopping at every town in Provence on your way to Barcelona.

Carcassonne is striking, but there's not a ton to *do* there. We spent a day visiting the Grotte de Limousis and a group of five ruined Cathar castles north of Carcassonne. There are more ruined Cathar castles between Carcassonne and the Pyrenees that we didn't get to but would like to see. (In fact, we've discussed a trip to northern Spain and very southern France in part so we can see what we missed before.)

There is a nice beach near Gruissan (near Narbonne). My oldest son wore his glasses into the water and had a very blurry remainder of the trip. :glare:

I've been to Nimes and was very impressed. It was on a high school French club field trip, so more years ago than I care to admit, but I doubt the Pont du Gard has gone anywhere. It's well worth spending a day. If you can make time, we went swimming at a place where you can see the Pont du Gard and it was amazing. I don't know where it was because I was just along for the ride, but I'm sure you can find it on Rick Steve's site.

I've also been to Barcelona and very much enjoyed it. We stayed 3 days, but you could certainly stretch it out. There's a lot to do.

I could talk about it for hours! :D Do PM me.

It was one of the most important things I have done in my life. It was fun too... pilgrim does not equal tourist in any one's mind. It is a special category, and you are treated so differently, it is a research paper in itself! I went alone, but met people of every faith and nationality. I am not Catholic, in fact was agnostic with pagan/buddhist tendencies. Now that I have converted to the Orthodox faith I want to experience it again with those eyes.

And the food! The wine! Playing cards with people of all ages and nationalities on the patio of the medieval monastery we were staying in (I was the only American as it was not long after 911). The music, the aching legs, the Roman roads, the goats and cats that follow you, the old village ladies asking you to pray for them when you reach Santiago. The fortresses and pubs, the vineyards, the mud! The cold nights and warm days, the friends that I will never forget. I brought home a walking stick cut from a fruit tree by an old man in a cap, a great treasure. The clinking of the shell on my backpack in the rainy silence of endless fields. The oranges! The morning cafe con leche, and pastries, and hunks of cheese shared with strangers near a ruined stone fountain. The crazy Germans who carried a stove and gave me alcohol every time I passed them. Singing Ramones songs with an Italian pilgrim in the middle of nowhere!

And on one day, when I was crying and alone and tired,the most spiritual thing that had ever happened to me, that showed me the Why, that led me to be a new person, that started me to where I am now.

I can't wait to go back.

(Just go in April, BEFORE tourist season. You will never have to worry about finding a bed to sleep in. And pm me for that packing list! I have it perfected!)

Lovely post! I am so looking forward to walking the Camino and would prefer to do it alone. Well, "alone" as in without anyone I know beforehand, that is. If you don't mind my asking, how did you manage to undertake the journey by yourself with three children ages 4 and under at home?

Dh and I went to Barcelona about a year ago. We loved it! Barri Gotic was a great place to just wander around. The gothic cathedral is gorgeous. Sagrada Familia is too modern for our tastes, but it was worth a visit. We liked Barcelona more than Rome, but we enjoyed Rome, too. :)

Thanks, Laura!

Barcelona soocer team stadium and museum...
Stop the presses! There's a museum about the team...?! You may have just become my 14 yo son's hero. This kid eats, sleeps, and breathes Barca ~ and chose to go watch his dad get a haircut rather than join the rest of us at the Vatican museum.;) Edited by Colleen

We were in Barcelona a couple of years ago and loved it. It really was wonderful and beautiful. I can't add any more recommendations because everything I can think of has been covered. :)

I will say it's been about 3 years since I was in Rome and I passionately and completely love and adore it. I'd leave for a months long stay in the morning if I could. If Rome were anywhere in my choices I would be unable to resist but I admit I'm a bit smitten. ;)

You'll have an amazing time everywhere Europe! :)

I've been to Nimes and was very impressed. It was on a high school French club field trip, so more years ago than I care to admit, but I doubt the Pont du Gard has gone anywhere. It's well worth spending a day. If you can make time, we went swimming at a place where you can see the Pont du Gard and it was amazing. I don't know where it was because I was just along for the ride, but I'm sure you can find it on Rick Steve's site.

I've also been to Barcelona and very much enjoyed it. We stayed 3 days, but you could certainly stretch it out. There's a lot to do.

Yeah, I have a hunch the Pont du Gard is still there.;) That's definitely on my list if we're in the area, yes. Thanks for replying!

We were in Barcelona a couple of years ago and loved it. It really was wonderful and beautiful. I can't add any more recommendations because everything I can think of has been covered. :)

I will say it's been about 3 years since I was in Rome and I passionately and completely love and adore it. I'd leave for a months long stay in the morning if I could. If Rome were anywhere in my choices I would be unable to resist but I admit I'm a bit smitten. ;)

You'll have an amazing time everywhere Europe! :)

Yes, I love Europe, but as with anywhere, visiting family and simply visiting are two different animals, kwim?;)

I was going to mention that you have to stop and see the Pont du Gard on your drive from CH to Barcelona. We also spent an afternoon in Nimes, but we didn't enjoy that as much as the Pont du Gard. (I think that was mostly due to a fussy 18 month old, and you won't have one of those. ;) )

Will you be passing through Orange? I thought the audioguide at the Roman theater there was one of the best I've seen. If you only have time to see the Orange theater or the Nimes arena, I'd pick the theater.

OK. I should stop before I have you stopping at every town in Provence on your way to Barcelona.

Carcassonne is striking, but there's not a ton to *do* there. We spent a day visiting the Grotte de Limousis and a group of five ruined Cathar castles north of Carcassonne. There are more ruined Cathar castles between Carcassonne and the Pyrenees that we didn't get to but would like to see. (In fact, we've discussed a trip to northern Spain and very southern France in part so we can see what we missed before.)

There is a nice beach near Gruissan (near Narbonne). My oldest son wore his glasses into the water and had a very blurry remainder of the trip. :glare:

Good info here ~ and a reminder not to wear my glasses into the water.:D I'll keep the Orange theater in mind (if indeed I can actually get us out of my husband's hometown....sigh...).

Lovely post! I am so looking forward to walking the Camino and would prefer to do it alone. Well, "alone" as in without anyone I know beforehand, that is. If you don't mind my asking, how did you manage to undertake the journey by yourself with three children ages 4 and under at home?

I think 'alone' is a wonderful way to do it, as it keeps you looking outward instead of always inward towards your little group, does that make sense?

We have the blessing (and sometimes the curse, ha!) of living in a small, supportive, rural neighborhood. Dh had just finished one job and was home with 6 weeks before starting another, and I knew we had many friends and neighbors to turn to if things got nutty. I was on the edge in a lot of ways, so he knew I needed to go even if he did not completely get it (he is definitely a hobbit!). Looking back, I don't know exactly how we managed it. I think, though, it saved my sanity in more than a few ways. I was a different person when I returned; a better one, ready to take up the difficulties of my situation with new found resolve and grace.

I probably gave you more than you asked for there :D. In all honesty, the experience affected me so deeply that I find it difficult to talk about without going all kooky. My best friend left to walk 2 weeks after I got back and had a very different experience, so perhaps it was just the right trip at the right time. I prefer to think, though, that the experience favored the prepared mind.

I think 'alone' is a wonderful way to do it, as it keeps you looking outward instead of always inward towards your little group, does that make sense?

Totally.

We have the blessing (and sometimes the curse, ha!) of living in a small, supportive, rural neighborhood. Dh had just finished one job and was home with 6 weeks before starting another, and I knew we had many friends and neighbors to turn to if things got nutty. I was on the edge in a lot of ways, so he knew I needed to go even if he did not completely get it (he is definitely a hobbit!). Looking back, I don't know exactly how we managed it. I think, though, it saved my sanity in more than a few ways. I was a different person when I returned; a better one, ready to take up the difficulties of my situation with new found resolve and grace.

I probably gave you more than you asked for there :D. In all honesty, the experience affected me so deeply that I find it difficult to talk about without going all kooky. My best friend left to walk 2 weeks after I got back and had a very different experience, so perhaps it was just the right trip at the right time. I prefer to think, though, that the experience favored the prepared mind.

Thanks for sharing...now can you wave a magic wand so I can start the journey pronto?;) Got your PMs ~ thanks! ~ and sent one back your way.

Both Nimes and Carcasonne (and the Pont du Gard as a PP mentioned) are worth seeing. I lived in and around Marseille for 8 years and there are too many beautiful places in the south of France to list, so you really can't go wrong with whatever you choose, IMO. Aigues-Mortes, Arles (my son liked the Roman ruins museum there), Avignon... etc etc etc

We only stayed overnight in Barcelona in 2004 but my son went on a week long Venture Crew trip there in in 2005. They had more than enough to do in one week. We all think it is a great area to explore. Not that there signs are first (and sometimes only) in Catalonian. That is the official language there. I remember we went to some nice Roman ruins on the coast near Barcelona.

Both Nimes and Carcasonne (and the Pont du Gard as a PP mentioned) are worth seeing. I lived in and around Marseille for 8 years and there are too many beautiful places in the south of France to list, so you really can't go wrong with whatever you choose, IMO. Aigues-Mortes, Arles (my son liked the Roman ruins museum there), Avignon... etc etc etc
Thank you ~ this is helpful, as a Roman ruins museum would be right up our alley.

Here is what my niece sent me. She spent a semester in Barcelona and just returned home this past weekend.

Barcelona Favorites

TAPAS/ other dinner places

• Restaurante Santamonica (in the corner of plaza real right off of La Rambla)

• L’antic Bocoi del Gótic (I never went to this restaurant but they are supposed to be fabulous and have a very traditional Catalan dish that they are famous for. Its down a side street off of Jaume I called Viladeclos. It’s very close to the Jaume I metro stop on the yellow line. Right across from the restaurant is a little café called La Clandestina {the secret}, which is where I would do class work and emails and drink tea every week. Its Moroccan style and they have the BEST tea. You should also go there if you get the chance!

• Orígens: This is a restaurant that has a really good menu del día (menu of the day) usually for about 12 Euro. Comes with wine or water, two courses and dessert. Make sure you try their “pan con tomate†for an appetizer if you go there. They have this bread dish at most restaurants, as it is very Spanish. They will show you how to make it! This restaurant is located right behind the Santa Maria del Mar cathedral which you should also visit – my parents and I went there for Easter!

• La Taverna Catalana – go here for really good paella. Don’t get paella on La Rambla because it’s probably not very good. I ate it here and it was delicious! Paella is kind of expensive, you won’t find it for cheaper than around 25 euro a person – but it’s worth it! Especially if you like seafood.

o Address:

LA TAVERNA CATALANA
C/. Valencia, 189
corner Aribau
Barcelona, 08011

RESERVATIONS: (+34) 931262452
MOBILE: (+34) 691199273

o e-mail: reservas@latavernacatalana.com

• Bo de B Barcelona: this is a really good sandwich place that is located close to the port by the ocean. I think it opens at 1 or 1:30 but check online. You want to get there right when it opens because a line forms fast – the sandwiches are very fresh and delicious! And I would get all the sauces if I were you 

• De Tapa Madre (really good tapas!)

o Address: C/ MALLORCA, 301

08037 Barcelona, Spain

phone number: 934 593 134

o Subway: Verdaguer

• La Esquinica (Really good tapas place, on the blue metro line, get there at 8:30 at the latest or you will have to wait in line, very local)

• Caramba (tapas fusion place, I never went here but I hear its really good!)

• Porvenir (seafood place, VERY LOCAL)

DRINKS (BEBIDAS)

• Bar Mediterráneo – I LOVE this place. They have live music most nights and usually Spanish guitar

o http://www.barcelonarocks.com/venue/Bar-Mediterraneo

o Location: C/ Balmes, 129, Eixample, Barcelona 08008

o Public Transport: <M> Diagonal; Bicing 223

• Torre Rosa (we took the metro to get here but it’s a very cool cocteleria with outdoor and indoor seating. My parents and I went with my host parents for our last night. Here is the address:

o c/Francesc Tárrega 22

o number: 933 408 854

o open from 7pm=3am

o website: info@torrerosa.com

• Bemba – This is a cool bar that’s kind of hidden. Its on a street off of Avinguda Paralel called C/ Blasco de Garay. They usually have live jazz/Spanish music and they make really cool drinks

SWEETS (DULCES)

• La Palleresa – this is a really good dessert place located on a street called Petritxol. This street is very old and known for being “the sweetest street in Barcelona†because it has so many chocolate and Churro shops (churros con chocolate is a traditional sweet snack in Spain). If you walk down Carrer de la Portaferrissa off of La Rambla, you will see the street called Petritxol on your right. If you walk all the way down this “sweet streetâ€, you will run into Santa Maria del Pi, another famous cathedral in Barcelona and the sister cathedral to Santa Maria del Mar.

MUST-SEES:

• La Rambla: this is the most touristy part of Barcelona and the liveliest. You need to watch your purse and belongings on this street carefully, but make sure to take it all in! there are lots of vendors and street performers and souvenir shops all up and down it. Start at plaza catalunya (another landmark in Barcelona) and walk down towards the ocean. While you’re on it, make sure to check out the Boqueria, a HUGE outdoor market that sells every type of food you can imagine: fruits, nuts, sweets, fish, meats, breads, etc. Keep walking after that until you get to Carrer de Ferran street on your left. If you take that street, you will see Plaza Real on your right (check that out! It’s a beautiful plaza!) if you keep going down carrer de Ferran, you will run into the Generalitat – the two major government buildings of Barcelona. This side of town is called Barrio Gótico (gothic neighborhood) it is the oldest part of Barcelona and all the little side streets around you are part of it. It is my favorite part of the city I would spend some time just walking down all the little streets and discovering little plazas and shops. While you are in the Generalitat, you are located very close to ruins from Augustus’s Forum – tall columns from the forum that they have built around – and you are also close to La Clandestina and L’antic Bocoi del Gótic, which I mentioned above – great places to get tea and dinner, respectively.

• Gaudí’s works:

o If you walk down Passeo de Gracia, you will see two famous buildings by Gaudí, one of the three architechs who constructed the majority of Barcelona: Casa Batllo (one of three houses all in a line that were built by three different architects and sponsored by three different rich families, all trying to out-do each other. These houses together are called “manzana de Discordia†or the “apple of discordâ€), and Casa Milà (La Pedrera, which means Quarry, a negative nickname given to it after it was built, you will be able to tell why!)

o Parc Guell: a beautiful, whimsical parc built by Gaudí for his major sponsor, Guell.

o La Sagrada Familia: absolutely breathtaking Cathedral that still isn’t finished and Gaudi’s most famous work. You should definitely go inside (its kind of expensive, but worth it!) and get an audio guide! There are so many cool and intricate details that you would never know about without the guide. It will take at least a couple of hours to see everything.

• Ocean (Barceloneta): you should walk to board walk at the ocean and spend some time at the beach! Its beautiful! There are a lot of paella places down the street by the Barceloneta metro stop. Right by the port, there is also a cable car that will take you all the way to Montjuic, the mountain in Barcelona where there are gardens, the Olympic stadium, museums, etc. Its beautiful!

• Montjuic: I would do this if you have extra time. Its pretty but it will take at least half a day. However, on Friday and Saturday nights there is a magic fountain show that is really beautiful and it is free. It takes place in front of the Palace (Espanya metro stop) (http://www.barcelona.com/barcelona_directory/attractions_in_barcelona/magic_fountain)

• Parc de la Ciutadella: This is a huge park that is absolutely gorgeous. It is connected to the Zoo of Barcelona and is also right behind my school (Universitat Pompeu Fabre). There is a lake and a huge fountain called la Cascada that Gaudi helped design when he was still a student.

THINGS TO KNOW

• The street signs are on the sides of buildings

• You will see some things spelled in Catalan and some in Spanish but everyone speaks both languages

• You don’t need to tip! Only tip if service is particularly excellent – this goes for taxis too. Service is not as good because of this so sometimes in restaurants you need to call the waiter over when you are ready to order or when you want your check

• Watch your purse at all times!! There is very little violence in Barcelona, but lots of robberies. The worst places for this are on the Metro, La Rambla, and the Beach (and any really touristy place) don’t leave your phones on the table or your purse on the back of your chair. And be careful when people try to sell you stuff at the beach for example because they could be trying to distract you. Don’t be alarmed, just be aware.

• Cat calls are normal in Spain, whereas here they are kind of creepy and obnoxious. so don’t get offended, just take it as a compliment haha. It’s a cultural thing, I guess. When people say “hola Guapa!†or they call you “guapa†its not something to take offense to.

• There is no such thing as personal space! There will be plenty of room on a side walk and people will think its totally normal to walk right up next to you.

• People stare a lot. Whereas in the US if you make eye contact with someone on the metro for example, they will usually look away, in Barcelona, they keep staring.

• People kiss on both cheeks to say hello to everyone instead of shaking hands. (This surprised my Dad a little bit when he met my Spanish host dad for the first time )

DAY-TRIPS:

• Montserrat Monastery: absolutely gorgeous, you take the train to get there and then you take a cable car up the mountain to the monastery. There are trails from the monastery that go all round the mountain and to the top if you like to hike. If you do this, get an early start and give yourself a whole day and make sure you find out when the last train/cable car come back to Barcelona.

• Sitges (about a 30-40 minute train ride away) This is a beautiful beach town.

• Codorniu winery and vineyards: We did this with my program. Sign up for a cava tour (champagne) and you get to taste a couple of them at the end! You might have to drive or take a bus to this, I’m not sure.

I don't know Barcelona, but I do know other parts of Spain... and I'd say, go! Spaniards are generally very friendly people, especially towards children. I can relate to a pp who talked about cafe con leche in the mornings, oranges fresh from the tree... :D

Can't wait to go back!

• 3 weeks later...
Here is what my niece sent me. She spent a semester in Barcelona and just returned home this past weekend.

Ellen, please pass along my thanks to your niece. I'll bet she's missing her days in Spain; a semester flies by!