Menu

Treadwell and Elson's Readers

Hunter

I have the Treadwell readers.

Here's my reply from other thread:

I like them. I have the Primer and 1st reader. I have the 2nd and 3rd readers on my wishlist. I think they're pretty good (I prefer to them to the McGuffey Readers, actually, as they're retellings of fables, literature, etc). Bought mine from Amazon.

I don't have a guide, just use them for reading practice.

Yesterdays Classics has Primer through 3 available in hardcopies or formatted for Kindle. I have the Kindle versions.

I have the Elson Reader

s, too. We have used parts of 2,3, and 5, I think. I really like having a book that the kids can read and then have a guide for with questions and activities.

My youngest son is reading through Elson 4 and Treadwell 3 and he really enjoys them. He was also 1/2 way through McGuffey 4 but he and I found it really boring so we are dropping that one out of our daily rotation.

He reads these out loud to me along with Sonlight Readers 3 books. We do it daily and I just have him do it for the reading aloud practice and we talk about it after he's read it, sort of half narration and half just discussing the story.

I was sad to see that there aren't anymore of the Treadwell after 4? He will be through 4 by middle of 2nd grade and I'll only be left with Elson (5 and up) after that. I am hoping to find a replacement for the Treadwell readers.

Perhaps I should drop those reader types after that but we have been using McGuffey, Elson, and Treadwell readers since he started reading and I like the practice reading aloud he gets with them.

Perhaps I should drop those reader types after that but we have been using McGuffey, Elson, and Treadwell readers since he started reading and I like the practice reading aloud he gets with them.

I've recently undertstood the value of readers that were designed to be read aloud. So far, we are finding Pathway to be a good read aloud. One of the student I am tutoring was so pleased to hear herself reading aloud with such skill. She was beaming.

I'd like to broaden our horizons though, outside of the Amish world.

Yeah I have been very tempted by reading here about people using Pathway readers but we're secular and I feared they would contain TOO much religious content. We come across it in McGuffey and others but I didn't feel it was to much. My son and I even read through Christian Liberty Nature Readers and that is about my limit for religious content.

Yeah I have been very tempted by reading here about people using Pathway readers but we're secular and I feared they would contain TOO much religious content. We come across it in McGuffey and others but I didn't feel it was to much. My son and I even read through Christian Liberty Nature Readers and that is about my limit for religious content.

The Amish believe that religion is too sacred to put into their school books. You will notice that they use older secular titles, instead of borrowing from their Mennonite neighbors.

The Christian worldview is present in the readers, but not direct references to Christianity.

We use the Elson readers and TM. We are using level 3. It's definitely below his level but he reads them out loud to practice the proper inflections in his voice (as if he telling a story to an audience). He loves the little plays in them and they always have to be acted out. He gathers all the props and directs his sisters and I in our parts. I use the TM only occasionally for questions and vocabulary. We usually just discuss the selection. Next time, I won't get the TM.

We use the Free & Treadwell readers. They are print-on-demand, and ours come from Yesterday's Classics publishing house, via our independent bookstore (we have to pay for them when they are ordered, b/c they can't be sent back) but Amazon also has them.

We have through the third reader, we started with the primer around New Year 2011, though I believe the series continues through a sixth reader at least. I adore them! They do not contain religious information/words/explicit teaching (for comparison, we did not use the Christian Liberty Nature Readers b/c of the religious content). I did find the first two stories in the third reader to be a bit complex/sophisticated (in plot and implied romance) for my 6yo to follow, but we'll be moving past them and that's fine with me.

He wouldn't tolerate the Bob books, but has come along nicely with these. I also like that the stories are based on classics, esp. b/c Button doesn't like most fairy tales, so this is a good way to get the classics "in his ears".

We use the Free & Treadwell readers. They are print-on-demand, and ours come from Yesterday's Classics publishing house, via our independent bookstore (we have to pay for them when they are ordered, b/c they can't be sent back) but Amazon also has them.

We have through the third reader, we started with the primer around New Year 2011, though I believe the series continues through a sixth reader at least. I adore them! They do not contain religious information/words/explicit teaching (for comparison, we did not use the Christian Liberty Nature Readers b/c of the religious content). I did find the first two stories in the third reader to be a bit complex/sophisticated (in plot and implied romance) for my 6yo to follow, but we'll be moving past them and that's fine with me.

He wouldn't tolerate the Bob books, but has come along nicely with these. I also like that the stories are based on classics, esp. b/c Button doesn't like most fairy tales, so this is a good way to get the classics "in his ears".

I see through level 3, but you say there is 4-6? Where?

The Amish believe that religion is too sacred to put into their school books. You will notice that they use older secular titles, instead of borrowing from their Mennonite neighbors.

The Christian worldview is present in the readers, but not direct references to Christianity.

Oh well. I had no idea! Thank you for enlightening me :) I will have to give those a look now.

There are so many other series of graded readers online! Authors of the Language Lessons-type of books also wrote graded readers: Edward Hazen's readers, Maude Parmly readers, Stepping Stones to Literature by Sarah Louise Arnold, Beacon Readers, etc. In many of the series, the Fifth and Sixth readers had elocution instruction. I am reading the elocution lessons in the Hazen Sixth Reader and McGuffey Fifth Eclectic Reader this week.

There are so many other series of graded readers online! Authors of the Language Lessons-type of books also wrote graded readers: Edward Hazen's readers, Maude Parmly readers, Stepping Stones to Literature by Sarah Louise Arnold, Beacon Readers, etc. In many of the series, the Fifth and Sixth readers had elocution instruction. I am reading the elocution lessons in the Hazen Sixth Reader and McGuffey Fifth Eclectic Reader this week.

Elocution must be the word I am thinking of today. I need to teach reading aloud skills and I'm not sure what they are even called.

I've decided the Pathway workbooks are just not working for us. They are forcing me to keep my student placed too low, because of the integrated language arts lessons, that are including a lot of dictionary respellings and phonics we haven't covered yet. And she doesn't need such basic reading comprehension. I'm just going to use the readers and not the workbooks for this student, and also I think this will be a reoccurring problem with the students I tend to teach.

I wish I could get a better look at the Elson teacher's manuals. I think these might be better for this student, and all the students I tend to end out teaching.There looks to be a much greater variety of reading skills taught and even literature appreciation.

There are no workbooks for the students? Just a teacher's manual? This would be better. Students tend to want to do ALL of any workbooks they start.

I'm overwhelmed with all the e-book readers I saw online today. I think I really want a hardcopy set with lesson plans, though, that goes through grade 8.

I really wish I could sit down and look through the entire series for about an hour.

Now that I properly read the TM to the Pathways Readers, I like the series better. There are 3 pages for each reading lesson. There is "Working With Words", "Learning Through Sounds" and "Thinking About the Story". The "Learning Through Sounds" is not tied to the story and can be completed at any time.

So a child can work ahead in the readers, and skip the "Learning Through Sounds" entirely, or do a page of "Learning Through Sounds" in an earlier workbook. "Learning Through Sounds" is nothing but reinforcement of the CGE workbooks.

The "Working With Words" is to be done BEFORE the reading. It is set apart, making it easy for the teacher to take some time applying any Spalding or other phonics and/or dictionary work.

Now that I properly read the TM, I'm happier with the Pathway series. I'm not sure if I should stick with Pathway or continue to explore Treadwell and Elson. I'm thinking of just sticking with Pathway. It's cheap, easily available and consistent.

It's so hard to choose.

Here's my post. There is a manual, which is on Google Books as well as on the Main Lesson site.

I used the primer and first reader. I like that they are folk tales rather than the usual, duller options.

One can, by the way, order print copies of any freely available or out of copyright book from places with the Espresso Book Machine. Some of the places offer mail order service. There are a few international locations, by the way.

Incidentally, you can get all the Treadwell/Free readers online up to grade 6 at least. I used them and liked them (and we discussed them in the recent non-babyish readers thread).

From Google Books -- where some are mislabeled --

Reading--literature: the primer

Reading-literature: Book 1

Reading Literature: Second Reader

Reading Literature: Third reader

Reading-literature fourth reader

Reading Literature: Fifth reader (took me forever to find!)

Reading-literature : sixth reader

And the manual -- Primary reading and literature: a manual for teachers

Primer through Year 3 at Main Lesson (nicely formatted for reading off a computer screen).

Edited by stripe

Here's my post. There is a manual, which is on Google Books as well as on the Main Lesson site.

I used the primer and first reader. I like that they are folk tales rather than the usual, duller options.

One can, by the way, order print copies of any freely available or out of copyright book from places with the Espresso Book Machine. Some of the places offer mail order service. There are a few international locations, by the way.

I've never done this and should try it. I have a few books that I want smaller and printed on both sides of the page.

I skimmed the old manual, and it's like Spalding. Good for when my head is clearer and I'm ready to REALLY teach, but right now, I'm needing more support.

Thanks for that list. And I didn't even know this EBM thing existed! And we have a location at our local university...nice to know that's an option!

• 2 years later...

I am adding to an Old Thread.

I think this is part of the Treadwell Readers series, but I am not sure. Treadwell's name is not listed but is handwritten on the title page. Can anyone confirm that it is 2 more levels of this?

Seventh Reader http://books.google.com/books?id=_E8XAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=bibliogroup:%22The+reading-literature+series%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=PAWiU8wMlqDIBJaxgpAF&ved=0CEYQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q&f=false

Eighth Reader http://books.google.com/books?id=W1AXAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=bibliogroup:%22The+reading-literature+series%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=PAWiU8wMlqDIBJaxgpAF&ved=0CFkQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q&f=false