Menu

Singapore Early Bird Start-up Science

EricaB

I see many people love the Singapore Early Bird Math, but how about the science. My son is 4 1/2, recognizes and writes numbers and letters, reads Bob books and it seems like this would be a fun addition for those cold winter days when I need something to keep his attention.

My first thought is to go with CLP's The World God Made as a gentle beginning and then maybe do Singapore with CLP's vol 2, Our Father's World in the fall. I just found Early Bird and thought it looked might be fun to play with now. Any thoughts? We will be using Apologia in the future once my sister is finished with it, so we do like teaching science and God as one. I don't, however, have a problem with secular texts to implement into CLP and Apologia if necessary.

As always, thanks for the informative replies!

Humm,

I read somewhere that this is new, so that is maybe why I have no takers on my question. Has anyone used this and could it be done by a 5 yr old? We are looking for something simple to go-along with The World God Made. This book seems more informational, so I was interested in the Singapore for more hands on so that I am not buying an expensive science program at this stage. We really just want fun without reinventing a curriculum through the library.

THANKS!

I just ordered bks 2 and 3. I haven't received them yet. So I can't answer any questions right now. I'm using it as a something for us to do between levels of Living Learning Books. We will be finishing LLB 1 about mid Sept and we are starting up ds's Kinder stuff in Dec and will be starting LLB 2. So we are going to do the Eb science during the 10 week break we have between programs. We really like science. I thought we might check out library books to go along with the topics. I have The World God Made, so when I get my Eb I can try to compare the two, although I think the Eb books that would go with that would be 1 and 4. I didn't get 1 and 4 because LLB 1 is life science. You might want to take a look at LLB 1 to go with The World God Made. We really enjoyed all the reading suggestions and video suggestions and it had crafts and experiments too. Anyway I hope that helps some.

Heather

My ds (5 at the end of Aug) sounds like he is on a similar level. We have actually been using the My Pals Are Here science books since the beginning of this year -- I know they are labeled for 3rd grade and up, and I have to read the instructions/write in the answers for many of the activities, but he likes it better. They introduce things briefly, which at this age is good because he feels a sense of accomplishment at having learned something new, but it didn't take a lot of time. :) If he is interested in the subject, we can check out library books to supplement. At this age it is more about doing what his sisters are doing (i.e., his own workbooks) than it is about an actual program. For what it's worth, we had the EB science workbooks/texts from when my dd was younger, but he just didn't like those much. (My dd didn't like them when she did them, either.) He likes MPH, though.

Good luck!

We have actually been using the My Pals Are Here science books since the beginning of this year -- I know they are labeled for 3rd grade and up, and I have to read the instructions/write in the answers for many of the activities, but he likes it better.

Good luck!

Ack! The baby kept me up too much last night and I must be TIRED! I just looked at my son's math and we are actually doing the Early Bird Start-up Science! That is the one he likes. I got confused because I knew we did not pick the kindergarten one (Child's Play Science) -- he likes the grade 1 & 2 Start-Up Science books for all the reasons I stated above. So...yes! It is a good choice, imo.

Sorry!!