Menu

Check out this lion trying to attack my baby!

My internet is lagging so the one video is disconnected for me.

However, I totally didn't see this as her trying to attack or eat him (and it seems your little girl didn't either). The "pounce" didn't seem scary to me even. We pop up with "boo" to our children. We sneak up behind them and squeeze them. We whisk them up in our arms and play with them. We bat at them as we "wrestle" with no intention on harming them, tickling instead. I really could see her scooping him up close to her to nurse or nuzzle or clean him. She definitely was fixated on your little guy, but I totally "read" it completely differently. She seemed to get that he was a little guy to interact with. And her following him was to stay close to him like a mother would. And she seemed to be thinking how dare y'all whisk him to the far end of the glass or put "her baby" up in circles. She seemed desperate to get him SAFE from what she may consider dangerous (not close enough, being moved away, being up in the air, etc).

Anyway, just a different way to view it. She didn't seem vicious or predatory or warning or angry in the slightest to me.

Edited by 2J5M9K

However, I totally didn't see this as her trying to attack or eat him (and it seems your little girl didn't either). The "pounce" didn't seem scary to me even. We pop up with "boo" to our children. We sneak up behind them and squeeze them. We whisk them up in our arms and play with them. We bat at them as we "wrestle" with no intention on harming them, tickling instead. I really could see her scooping him up close to her to nurse or nuzzle or clean him. She definitely was fixated on your little guy, but I totally "read" it completely differently. She seemed to get that he was a little guy to interact with. And her following him was to stay close to him like a mother would. And she seemed to be thinking how dare y'all whisk him to the far end of the glass or put "her baby" up in circles. She seemed desperate to get him SAFE from what she may consider dangerous (not close enough, being moved away, being up in the air, etc).

Anyway, just a different way to view it. She didn't seem vicious or predatory or warning or angry in the slightest to me.

I think she was being a mama lion and was trying to get to him to play. I've heard stories of wild animals protecting babies and small children. Maybe all animals have a soft spot for cuteness :)

:iagree: I think she was wanting to protect him from you guys. :D

Maybe she recently lost a cub herself or wants some....

There was a black panther at our local zoo that growled, roared, and acted very aggressive toward any baby in a stroller that went by. I think it was the wheels on the strollers that set it off. That panther looked like it would eat someone if able.

My internet is lagging so the one video is disconnected for me.

:iagree: This is way more the way I say it also. She didn't ever extend her claws nor show her teeth. Thing I would think she would do if she was really 'after' him.

She looked like my cats always have when they were playing with something. Cats love to play with things by batting them around. Unfortunately for the mouse, bird or bug, the "batting around" virtually always results in their death. The cats always looked so disappointed and bewildered when the "toy" no longer "played." There is a big difference between the "stalking" and "pouncing" when a cat is hunting--especially in body positioning and ear positioning. This lioness sure looked (to me) like she wanted to play. However, without that protective glass, the "game" would not have gone well for your son. Seems like you guys had a very cool day at the zoo.

Guest submarines
She looked like my cats always have when they were playing with something. Cats love to play with things by batting them around. Unfortunately for the mouse, bird or bug, the "batting around" virtually always results in their death. The cats always looked so disappointed and bewildered when the "toy" no longer "played." There is a big difference between the "stalking" and "pouncing" when a cat is hunting--especially in body positioning and ear positioning. This lioness sure looked (to me) like she wanted to play. However, without that protective glass, the "game" would not have gone well for your son. Seems like you guys had a very cool day at the zoo.

:iagree: Doesn`t look like stalking a prey to me, but I`d be really interested to hear from an expert. Neat video.

:iagree:The lion looked like she was in a playful mood to this non-expert. Great videos, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Swirly Hyrum one shows up on Ellen or Good Morning America's Play of the Day.

My Big Cat story: I used to take my (then toddler) son to Carlsbad's Living Desert Zoo, where the resident Mountain Lion would definitely stalk and hunt him when we went by the enclosure. It made me horribly nervous because the cat would jump down from wherever it was perched and crouch along the rocks with tail twitching, staring at him. My son would be oblivious because I would literally scoot him through there, hidden behind me. There was no way to avoid her cage, as the path winding through the park is edged with rocks and cactus, with nowhere else to go except the one path. Loved the zoo, not crazy about their mountain lion set-up.

Agree also.

Thanks, ladies! I have no clue what she was doing. My mind jumped to aggression, but I'm no expert. She could have been play batting.

There were other babies there and other people in red, but she definitely was enthralled with only Hyrum. I'm tempted to take him back and see what happens...

My husband and I just thought t was fascinating! Hyrum laughed most of the time, too. Lol. It Wanda good trip to the zoo!

Guest submarines
Thanks, ladies! I have no clue what she was doing. My mind jumped to aggression, but I'm no expert. She could have been play batting.

There were other babies there and other people in red, but she definitely was enthralled with only Hyrum. I'm tempted to take him back and see what happens...

My husband and I just thought t was fascinating! Hyrum laughed most of the time, too. Lol. It Wanda good trip to the zoo!

Fascinating!

Guest submarines
That needs to go viral. Really cool, but scary.

Actually, if you do not want for it to go viral, you probably need to restrict access even further, and then do frequent checks, in case someone already downloaded and reposted. Because this is exactly the kind of videos that go viral.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I there's no way I'd expose my children, who can't give informed consent, to the phenomenon of going viral.

Actually, if you do not want for it to go viral, you probably need to restrict access even further, and then do frequent checks, in case someone already downloaded and reposted. Because this is exactly the kind of videos that go viral.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I there's no way I'd expose my children, who can't give informed consent, to the phenomenon of going viral.

Why?

It looked like the lioness wanted to play with him and couldn't figure out why she couldn't get to him. Maybe it was his bright red outfit. She didn't seem to pay any attention to the other kids.

:iagree: I just watched the first video, but it looked like play behavior, not aggressive behavior.

With that red outfit, maybe she thought he was a hunk of fresh meat. I saw the tigers doing the same thing to a baby in red at our local zoo. We wear green to the zoo because that's what the zookeepers wear. The animals come closer because they think you are bringing them food, but they don't think you ARE the food.:tongue_smilie:

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone see GMA this morning? (I think it was GMA) Showed a video of the same thing but different baby though. The child looked about the same age, and also wearing stripes. The mom said the lion was only interested in that one particular baby. Looked like the same zoo as OP's video. Sorry, couldn't find a link yet!