Menu

What did you FINISH this year and was it worth it?

Hunter

I think a major reason we finish most things is because I don't try to do too many things. I'd rather do a few things thoroughly and well than try to juggle ten zillion things and only get to bits and pieces (or end up overwhelmed). I also try to pick things that are easy for me to use. If it requires too much planning or preparation it's probably not going to get done. I also avoid curriculum hopping.

I love this thought, it just clicks and makes sense to me. It may become my new homeschooling motto.:D

We didn't finish a lot this year. :(

We started MFW ECC then realized it could be more fun if we focused on the countries we wanted to learn about. Sooooo...... the tm was put away. We also started MFW K. Well.... ds could read simple words by Christmas and was way ahead fo the math. Once again? TM was put away.

We did finish Horizon's math 3 and K. DD also finished Abeka language arts 3. We did several VP lit guides. Science was done through a homeschool co-op so that was finished too.

Our bible reading remained consistent and we never really count that as schooling any ways. It's more of a daily life thing.

All in all I'm OK with how this year turned out. :D

Unless something is absolutely miserable, we finish it.

Things we've finished and were definitely worth it:

Handwriting Without Tears: Kindergarten

Hooked on Phonics: Kindergarten

Singapore Math Earlybird A & B (We finish in two weeks...just two units left. :thumbup:)

Things we're still working on, but love:

Evan-Moor – Everyday Literacy: Science, Grade 1 (Started late.)

"The Best Sight-Words Book Ever" (We're still chugging along. We may not finish it, as there's 170 sight words. I think we're going to get to a point where we won't need to finish it soon.)

Things we finished, but were so-so:

Explode the Code: 1 (We're going to try Plaid Phonics instead of ETC: 2.)

Modern Curriculum Press – Comprehension Plus, Level A (It's okay. DD did really well with it. Almost seemed too easy. Not meaty enough, maybe?)

Things we didn't finish:

"Teach Your Child to Read in 100 EZ Lessons"

Handwriting Without Tears: First Grade (Transitioned to Zaner-Bloser: 1. HWT: 1 was too much the same as HWT: K. In hindsight, I wish we just would have started copy work after HWT: K. While DD likes Zaner-Bloser: 1 better than HWT: 1, the glossy paper they use is ridiculously slick. It's very frustrating. I really want to abandoned it for that reason. :001_huh: We're sticking with it for now, though.)

We just finished our "school year" today for my 2 boys, in 1st & 2nd grades!! :) WOOHOOOOOOOOOO

Things we finished & I would totally do again:

RightStart Math (A&B)

All About Spelling (1&3)

Writing With Ease (1&2)

Things we finished that I will not do again:

Shurley English (1)

Math Mammoth (1&2) - some of this I really appreciated, like the cost & the setup, but my 2nd grader in particular REALLY didn't do well with it and we had constant battles on focusing and not spacing out. The 1st grader is apparently a worksheet lover & had no problems, but he took to complaining just because his big brother did... sigh. I MAY do this again in a few years, or if money becomes an issue for math programs, but my son & I are about DONE with what we are willing to do with it!! :)

Things to do in future years:

Rosetta Stone - I will definitely re-visit this program, but it will probably be a few years. I determined that we really need more hands-on work with everyone working together, both so I could learn it myself & so they could get more out of it. It is surprising how capable even a young'un becomes at sneaking by the system...

Exploration Education - I loved it for this year, and even though it is really just a 1-year program I do plan to re-do it in 3 years or so. He enjoyed it, it was very teacher-free but educational & involved, and I think he can get more out of it (in a good way) in a few years.

Saxon will be finished for both my boys. We dropped Saxon mid-year for dd and now she's half way through TT5. I feel I did a good job with math and language studies and am in good shape with both. I fell behind with science and history. I'm realizing I need to go with textbook curriculums for science and history next year.

oooh, fun question!!

For my K-8 kids, we've finished:

8th grader:

Apologia Physical Science &

Prentice-Hall Physical Science Concepts in Action (by the end of June)

finishing Saxon Algebra I (began the year with Lial's)

a full year of foreign language

will finish R&S English8 by the end of our school year

Trail Guide to U.S. Geography

All-American History and much of Hakim's Story of US series

Wordly Wise

6th grader:

BJU6 Science

Apologia Astronomy

TT7

the Spelling workbook (I actually cannot remember the name of it atm! :tongue_smilie:)

a full year of foreign language

will finish R&S English 6 by the end of our school year (June)

All-American History and SOTW4 and some of Hakim's Story of US series

Wordly Wise

3rd grader:

BJU6

Apologia Astronomy

BJU3 Math

BJU3 Language (he's partway through R&S4 right now)

This has been our most successful year as far as not changing curriculum mid-year (well, the older and younger had a math switch partway through the year...).

Getting next year mapped out... :)

Edited by orangearrow

This was a year of change...My ds completes 6 month of vision therapy *tomorrow* and that has yielded great changes. We switched *almost everything* mid-year (having started last June), and so will be finishing everything by the end of May, I hope... I've learned that I'm not one to continue something if it's not working. Everything we're finishing, I will use again if it fits the child well enough. I've already sold some of the others lol. :)

For 1st grade

Started & dropped Singapore Math 2A (after previously completing EB, 1a & 1b), will complete Saxon Math 2 & CWP 1

Tried & dropped HOD Spelling, WRTR, SWR. Completed AAS1 and will finish 2 in a few weeks.

Started and gave up using DITHOR books and trying to follow up with comprehension questions. Started BJU Reading 2 and will finish it in a few weeks. Ds loves the stories, and though it's simple for him, I like that it's introducing a variety of topics.

Started HOD Beyond and switched to MFW Adventures in Jan. We'll finish it around the end of May I think.

Started & dropped HOD Beyond grammar & Language Smarts B. Will complete FLL1.

Started *and* will complete Apologia Astronomy!

Started and discontinued WWE1 (too much writing for the time being) and Scott Foresman Art 1 (no time with vision therapy)

PreK

Started MFW K, dropped the phonics & will finish the science & Bible portion.

Started & dropped Happy Phonics & McRuffy Phonics. Started AAR pre-1 and will finish at least the phonemic awareness activities. Dd's not as into the color/craft pages as she once was, but she wants to play a "Ziggy game" every day.

Started Singapore Essential Math K and will finish that, along with A Beka K math over the summer.

Edited by krismoose

This is our first year homeschooling and I have an array of different curriculums that I have tried. It's not that the things we try don't work for my kids, it's just that I like a variety. Im not sure if that's good or bad but here goes.

My kindergartener is in Week 13-15 in Phonics Road 1. Ive also pulled out Abeka's "A Handbook for Reading and OPGTR, trying to hurry the struggle for reading along. I am now debating whether or not to go on or if I should switch to something more scripted like Saxon Phonics. He has finished Rightstart A early and is plugging away at Rod and Staff 1st gr math and Rightstart B. He tags along with his siblings for other subjects and I'm satisfied with that. I've been using Spalding for handwriting and that has been a huge success. He has also completed LOF Apples too.

My second grader has finished PR 1, and is half way through PR 2for this year. Ive scrapped the grammar in it and we are only on CH 10 in Shurley Grammar(out of 30 lessons) and have also been using MCT Island. Ive also started and stopped Writing Tales, Zaner Bloser Writing, and keep starting and stopping our Little House lit study in PR 2. Ive started Total Language plus also, and find that I am using too many different programs at one time. We are scheduled to finish Rod and Staff math 2 soon and will continue with 3, using her brother's Rightstart math to supplement. Tapestry of Grace has been used halfheartedly, Im only using it basically as a suggested reading list. By the time we read, there's no more time to do activites with all the LA and math we do! We were almost finished with Christian Kids Explore biology, and have take a month break to explore science in an unschooling way, interest lead for the younger two.

Whew, I need a break before I list what I did to my 6th grader!

He will finish Saxon 8/7 on time and everything else we will plug away at, but are way off from finishing such as Shurley 6, Rainbow science, Writeshop, Logic, Latin Road(we are on Ch 5 out of 14).

I hope this gets easier, but Im starting to feel ADHD here:)

Finish??? We are supposed to finish???

Now, maybe we should talk about what we never started...even though we had the best intentions......:D

:iagree:

Um...we finished R&S Kindergarten book C.

I won't even list all the things we started and didn't finish (or even START)...:blink::blush:

It's mostly Sylvia that's already finished things. CLE LA 100 (okay) and MCP Phonics B (will continue with it). We will finish everything we're working on though (okay,except for Spelling Power! ;)). There's 3 weeks left in Adventures and then we'll finish up our math & grammar. Oh, and both girls finished Maps, Globes, and Graphs which we won't do again because we're doing MFW ECC next year.

Had but never did: MP States & Capitals. The girls could already fill out a blank US map and sing all the capitals, so this was redundant.

Dropped: Apologia Anatomy & Physiology. Too much information.

We're only in first grade here, but we are going to finish everything I planned to complete this year. At this point in mid-April we are either on track or ahead. Yay for preplanning and filing!

PR 1

McGuffey 1

Core Knowledge Grade 1 lit with illustrated narrations

Singapore 1a/1b, CWP 1 + McRuffy Math 1 + extra practice with MM here and there

Science and history were unit studies and we have completed each of them with plenty of reading and activities

The only thing we quit was K12 music which totally sucked. We also haven't used all of Atelier Level 1 yet but should finish it by the end of the summer.