Menu

Anthropological linguistics

Here are two books that may be relevant, although they both look more neuroscience rather than anthropological.

The First Word: The Search for the Origins of Language, by Christine Kenneally

Talking Hands, by Margalit Fox

I haven't read either of them, but acquired them because they sounded interesting.

I majored in linguistics way back when, but most of it is lost in the fogs of time...:D

Ok, maybe this will be more helpful. Down on the bottom of this screen, under similar threads, is one entitled "linguistics?". Looks like there are many suggestions there.

Yes, I am so lame I don't know how to link a thread :blushing:

I don't have any suggestions, but I'm pretty sure that's what my brother majored in! I know it was linguistics and he's often talking about anthropological linguistics (he's my brother so I don't totally listen). He's a college professor now, teaching at the University of Anchorage up in Alaska. I'll ask him if he has any suggestions.

I don't know, but if you find any good books for the layperson, please post them here. The wikipedia entry on anthropological linguistics sounds fascinating to me!

It sounds like she's more interested in the social aspects of language rather than the neurological, but I found Oliver Sacks' books very interesting in my intro to linguistics course in college. They are quite accessible to the layperson.

This probably isn't a good recommendation (as in - have read it myself), but I took a linguistics class at UMass when I was there, in the anthropology department, so I did a search and this cropped up.

http://www.pulist.net/language-culture-and-society-an-introduction-to-linguistic-anthropology-1333202905.html

No idea what it is like, but it might make a starting place.

I seem to remember my parents enjoying a teaching company or pbs series on the origins of language.

And I do have a personal recommendation, even if it is not exactly what you are looking for. I enjoyed Return to Laughter when I had to read it for my cultural anthropolgy class. It is a fictionalized (but based on experience) account of a young anthropologist's journey to Africa. Another recommendation (highly recommended GRIN) is the short article Shakespeare in the Bush. Here is a link to the pdf: http://law.ubalt.edu/downloads/law_downloads/IRC_Shakespeare_in_the_Bush.pdf This is wonderful. I had to read this for anthropology, too.

I, too, am fascinated by the way that language shapes our thought and the reverse. Just the idea that not all cultures divide the colours in the rainbow up the same way suggests a wealth of other intriguing questions. Or that the number of nominative pronouns differs. Fascinating, fascinating... And to think that this fascination began with Tolkein LOL.

Nan

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but I enjoyed Mother Tongue: English and how it got that way. It's definitely for the layperson rather than scholarly, and obviously focused on English. Here's a description from Amazon:

"With dazzling wit and astonishing insight, Bill Bryson--the acclaimed author of The Lost Continent--brilliantly explores the remarkable history, eccentricities, resilience and sheer fun of the English language. From the first descent of the larynx into the throat (why you can talk but your dog can't), to the fine lost art of swearing, Bryson tells the fascinating, often uproarious story of an inadequate, second-rate tongue of peasants that developed into one of the world's largest growth industries."

Kind of bumping this to remind myself.

I googled my brother. Yes, his branch of linguistics is anthropological linguistics. Turns out he's the chair of the English/Anthropology Joint Search Committee in the English Department at University of Anchorage. Sounds impressive anyway. And it's really weird seeing things that say "Dr. David Bowie." I mean, I've known he's had a PhD for years, but it's kind of weird seeing my big brother's name written with Dr. before it like that. Finding him on rate my professor was even more amusing. He gets in the 4 range for everything except easiness. He gets in the 2 range for that. I think he'd consider that a success lol