Menu

If you use HWOT..

gevs4him

I know there are many differing opinions on this, but to me, the program does not make sense unless you have the TM. I don't think you need every TM, but at least one would help you understand the program. Without it, it is just a workbook, and HWOT is much more than that. Especially for pre-k or k, I think the TM is necessary.

I know there are many differing opinions on this, but to me, the program does not make sense unless you have the TM. I don't think you need every TM, but at least one would help you understand the program. Without it, it is just a workbook, and HWOT is much more than that. Especially for pre-k or k, I think the TM is necessary.

:iagree:

I have them all (PK through 4) and we've done through grade 1 so far. The only one I really used was the PK one, and the K one a bit, but I feel like I have to have them around. I'm sure I'll use the first cursive one.

If I were advising, I'd say that if money were tight, I'd get the K one and the 3rd grade one. The K one because it contains pretty much everything in the PK one, plus instructions on lower case. And the 3rd grade one since that's when cursive is introduced.

I say yes, at the beginning. And again if you are starting cursive. It gives you a vocabulary to teach your child. Aim for the top, big curve, little line across, big line down etc. Those are terms that you learn to teach your child. HWT isn't something you just hand to your child and say 'copy that'. You have to teach your child how to make the letters, and the teacher's guide gives you a vocabulary and instructions about how to do that.

Yup! I read the preK and K ones at the beginning of the year, and haven't really checked it since, but there was wonderful information there about the important aspects of handwriting that I didn't know and lots of helpful tips. But I haven't had to check them since. So try to get one used, I see a lot on here for very affordable prices.

I bought the first one (K) but did not buy the ones for 1st and 3rd (we skipped 2nd and went straight to cursive). I don't feel that we have missed anything but I guess if we did, I wouldn't know it.:tongue_smilie:

I am happy with the way my two sons are writing. They practice both manuscript and cursive every day we do school (4 days a week) and they are both doing very well.

I bought the TM for K and while it was nice to flip through before we started the program, I haven't cracked it open since that first flip through. I believe the language to form each letter can be found on their website and other than that aspect of it, I found the TM not very necessary.