Menu

Do you tear out worksheets?

Danielle1746

So this coming year will be our first year homeschooling. I'll have an 11 yr old, an 8 yr old, and a 5 yr old.

I see a lot of people talking about chopping spines off and rebinding things. Do you do this to the kids' workbooks? If so, why?

If you don't rebind them, do you leave the worksheets in the books and just let the kids work through the books? Or do you tear out each sheet to do individually? Leaving them in the books sounds easier to me, but I'm not sure how beat up the workbook (and the completed work in it) will be by the end of the year. But tearing each sheet out seems like a lot of extra filing to do.

What do you all prefer?

My kids are younger, but they do love workbooks! I cut the spine off workbooks, three hole punch, and put them in a three ring binder.

Benefits:

- The pages can be removed to lay flat, easier for writing.

- I can put a week's worth in a small binder, which is less overwhelming.

I hate how workbooks fly closed and are hard to work in on one side. I bought a binder machine off Amazon and convert almost all books for the kids into these because they lie flat and stay open. I can unzip and add or remove pages easily and reuse the binders later on :)

http://www.amazon.com/GBC-ProClick-Desktop-Binding-Machine/dp/B00006IAS3/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334423181&sr=8-1

So this coming year will be our first year homeschooling. I'll have an 11 yr old, an 8 yr old, and a 5 yr old.

I see a lot of people talking about chopping spines off and rebinding things. Do you do this to the kids' workbooks? If so, why?

If you don't rebind them, do you leave the worksheets in the books and just let the kids work through the books? Or do you tear out each sheet to do individually? Leaving them in the books sounds easier to me, but I'm not sure how beat up the workbook (and the completed work in it) will be by the end of the year. But tearing each sheet out seems like a lot of extra filing to do.

What do you all prefer?

It is much easier for a child (or an adult, for that matter, lol) to write on a piece of paper which is lying on a flat surface. This is especially important when the dc are very young and still learning to hold their writing implements properly (holding the pen/pencil/crayon properly lets them form their letters more correctly, and is less tiring on their hands).

So yes, I either tear out each workbook page so the dc can lay it on the table; or I have the book cut apart, drilled for three holes, and put it in a three-ring notebook, so I can remove each page for the dc to write on and then place it back in the notebook.

I only tear out worksheets if that is how they are designed to be used. So I tear our our FLL and MUS worksheets but not the pages from HWT or SWO. Once the pages are done, I three-hole punch them if necessary and put them in a binder for that semester. I do this as we need them.

Our R&S wkbks are perforated. I tear out 1 weeks worth of sheets and place in a 3 pronged pocket folder for easy access each day.

LLATL is not perforated so I cut off the binding. I have taken a file folder and added *sides* so that it makes a pocket (you can just buy these, but I used what I had) and placed all of the sheets in there. Each week I get out the weeks lessons and place them in the same 3 pronged pocket folder used for math, for easy access.

One simple folder that doesn't take up a lot of space and sheets that lay flat (as mentioned by pps above).

Thank you for all your feedback! We don't have all of our curriculum choices on hand for next year yet, but I think the only workbooks we will have will be for math (2 workbooks per child for the year) and handwriting.

For their grammar/writing, and spelling, they'll be using non-consumable textbooks and doing their assignments on paper. Would spiral notebooks work well for this--just have one notebook for each subject? Or is it better to go with a binder and loose leaf paper?

Thank you for all your feedback! We don't have all of our curriculum choices on hand for next year yet, but I think the only workbooks we will have will be for math (2 workbooks per child for the year) and handwriting.

Oh, you definitely want to tear out pages for handwriting.

For their grammar/writing, and spelling, they'll be using non-consumable textbooks and doing their assignments on paper. Would spiral notebooks work well for this--just have one notebook for each subject? Or is it better to go with a binder and loose leaf paper?

I prefer loose-leaf paper and notebook.

We leave them in. What a PITA to take them out. I've heard the arguments about flat surfaces and all - and I know some people pull it all out and put it together in a new way so that kids have all their daily work in one place... But again, the work! Anything with that much hassle involved has to have a high payback and for me, I don't see it.

Pentime lays flat too, so I don't worry with it.

As far as payback....that comes in the form of not seeing your child terribly frustrated with huge bumps along the spine of the book while trying to write. A small child trying to improve on writing needs all the help they can get. Honestly, I don't understand why all wkbks for this age range are not perforated.

I hate ruining books, even workbooks. I do not tear them out or cut off the binding, but in cases where it is easier I will photocopy the pages we will be using. This also suits my perfectionist daughter as she can get a bit upset if something is not good enough by her standards, by photocopying and not letting her use the original I can make an extra copy when she needs it. Having said that we do try not to actually write in work books wherever possible, instead I prefer using loose binder paper or exercise books.

I used to keep our workbooks together. It was much easier and I liked to keep it all in a nice contained book. I regret having done that while my Dd was still learning how to write. She picked up some bad habits that I believe came from the fact that she had to write in funny positions to compensate for the bulky workbook. We have been working all year on correcting those bad habits, and she is getting better but it has not been easy. From now on I will tear out all of the pages from their workbooks (especially handwriting heavy worksheets), at least while my kids are young. The bright side to this is I have found a nice benefit, I can now file all of the worksheets into weekly files.

The only pages I am keeping in a workbook are ones that I bound myself with Proclick. They are MM and MEP books. I am not too concerned about bad habits coming back because the books lie fairly flat and they are only supplemental books.

Unless your kids are still learning how to write it probably doesn't matter much one way or the other. It just comes down to personal preference.

I also compare how much a workbook is and will many times put it in a binder and make copies as needed so I don't have to buy the workbook again for younger kids... Even more so if I know we won't use every page in a year. Like for MUS I have punched holes and make copies. Some lesson we've used every page and in one lesson only 2 of the pages and moved on.

Yes...and I put them on a clipboard daily.

This is what we do. :001_smile: Worksheets are pulled out and put on clipboards on a daily basis. Every kid has their own clipboard that lives in an office type rack (like a doctor office might use for patient files), which sits on top of our current schoolbook bookshelf.

All of the above but also to consider:

Workbooks are TOOLS not DICTATORS.

Once you "mess up" the book it's easier not to let it take over. It's easier to just use the pages you need, and to skip the unnecessary. To tear up the monsters, tames the ugly beasts. Torn up, I stand on the workbook with sword raised in the air, victorious and in control :lol:

Once you "mess up" the book it's easier not to let it take over. It's easier to just use the pages you need, and to skip the unnecessary. To tear up the monsters, tames the ugly beasts. Torn up, I stand on the workbook with sword raised in the air, victorious and in control :lol:

LOL!! You tell that book whos boss!

if you tear them all out, what happens when you want to sell the book again?

I never thought of tearing them out but it makes total sense!

Is there a market for consumed consumable texts? :001_huh: My kids write directly on the pages, as intended. Regardless if the pages are left in the book or put on a clipboard, there's nothing left to sell.

Is there a market for consumed consumable texts? :001_huh: My kids write directly on the pages, as intended. Regardless if the pages are left in the book or put on a clipboard, there's nothing left to sell.

I guess thats not worded right. Some people dont write in the books, or maybe they do and white it out? I dont know. But you cant sell the book written in or not if its torn up. Thats what im asking.

I guess thats not worded right. Some people dont write in the books, or maybe they do and white it out? I dont know. But you cant sell the book written in or not if its torn up. Thats what im asking.

Except sometimes to me. I have bought some nasty stuff for little more than shipping, just to study as a teacher, or to preview before deciding to buy a new copy. Nasty stuff! Even with food stains, baby scribbles and reeking of mold and smoke and pets.

It wouldn't be practical if you don't plan on actually using the book. The whole point of pulling the pages or cutting the binding off is to make them more easily usable, either for "filing" or writing on.

I purchase workbooks because I want my kids to use them. They save me time and work. Once the loose pages are used they're 3 hole punched and put in that child's finished work binder.

If reselling potential was a motive I would shop for textbooks instead of workbooks. :001_smile:

I agree with Moon. The reason I want a wkbk in the first place is so that it can be used -consumed. It is a tool of convenience (love that taming the beast, Hunter!). If I were concerned with re-sale (and I have been at times) then, whether using wkbk or text, I have the child write in a notebook. In this case I would not rip apart pages. But for a young child, in my opinion, it is better to forfeit re-sale (if you can) and tear out pages so they don't suffer thru *The Binding Edge Bump*. ;)

I am loving all the feedback. What farrarwilliams said about it being extra work, is exactly why I was asking in the first place. I knew people did it, but I wanted to know WHY they thought it was worth it. Thank you to everyone for explaining it to me!

And what Hunter said about really hit home with me--and made me laugh. I can sooo see myself being really bummed if something in the workbook gets "screwed up". I'm kind of OCD that way, I guess. But if the pages are turned into just loose leaf, individual sheets in a binder, it would not be nearly so hard to just move on. And with only 3 workbooks each for 3 kids for the whole year, it wouldn't be THAT much work.

I guess I'll wait until I get their handwriting books in. I'm not sure if they are the kind that will lay flat or not. The math workbooks aren't too bad, but they'll need loose leaf paper to do their work on anyway, so it might be easier to have it all in the same notebook.

Thanks again! Now to check out that filing thread. :)

Will do for the handwriting pages.

May I ask why you like loose leaf paper and binders better?

Thank you all for the continued input!

A spiral notebook is fine for taking notes, but for doing assignments which must be turned in to be checked/corrected, loose-leaf paper is much easier to handle, KWIM? I also think that children will, in general, write more neatly on a single sheet of paper, and I think learning that sometimes we have to be neat and tidy when writing something is an important skill. :-)

Oh, and you can easily add things like maps or other resources to a three-ring notebook.