Menu

Winter coats and clothing??!! Help!

My ds, born and raised in San Diego, is heading to Ohio for college. He's never seen snow fall from the sky, has only played in snow on sunny 40-50 degree days in the local mountains. He is really excited to live where there are 4 seasons but will need something more in his outerwear wardrobe than flip flops and a hoodie!

Suggestions? What do young men actually wear in the winter? Last time I lived in a cold climate was 1978 and we wore those Michelan Man down jackets -- long before the thinsulate revolution.:D And what about shoes? I figured I should be shopping some of the clearance sales now. And should I be looking at Land's End? LL Bean? REI?

In the meantime I'm happily knitting a hat, scarf and pair of mittens, but those added to a hoodie won't cut it in the deep mid-winter.

Here in Minnesota, I see a lot of younger guys wearing Carhartt or Columbia coats in the winter, though I don't know if that's more of a regional thing or not.

A knitted hat should be fine, but the scarf/mitten combo might get him some amused looks. ;)

A lot of it will depend on how much time he's going to spend outside. If he's going to live on campus, a good winter coat, hat, tennis shoes, and maybe a pair of mittens should be fine for walking to class and back. If he's going to be doing any winter hiking or outdoor activities, he'll definitely want a good pair of boots and some heavy gloves, too.

Let me add Sierra Trading to your list although LL Bean has served my son well.

Layers are part of the trick. Your son may experience some sloppy wet weather (says the Mom of a kid going to college in Ohio ;)). This winter was mild but last year there was snow, melted snow, rain... I think he commonly wears his LL Bean jacket that consists of a fleece covered by a waterproof layer. Cool hat is part of the necessary gear.

By the way, my son says his handknitted socks are the most comfortable he owns. Think he may be fishing for another pair?? You might want to get your boy's tootsies warm too.

Here in Minnesota, I see a lot of younger guys wearing Carhartt or Columbia coats in the winter, though I don't know if that's more of a regional thing or not.

A knitted hat should be fine, but the scarf/mitten combo might get him some amused looks. ;)

A lot of it will depend on how much time he's going to spend outside. If he's going to live on campus, a good winter coat, hat, tennis shoes, and maybe a pair of mittens should be fine for walking to class and back. If he's going to be doing any winter hiking or outdoor activities, he'll definitely want a good pair of boots and some heavy gloves, too.

Mergath has some good advice, especiallly regarding the bolded. :001_smile:

Layers! When it gets really cold, they *might* wear a puffy vest over the layers. It drives me up the wall, but here in Illinois the young (college/high school) men do not wear coats. Lined hoodies, thermal shirts, t-shirts... lots of layers but no coat. They do at least seem to wear hats and gloves. Some men wear scarves too. Obviously, many men wear coats (usually leather or wool peacoats) here too, just not the men on college or high school campuses. :confused:

Now is a great time to be shopping end of winter sales.

Lands End has their winter coats labeled warm or warmest, etc. If you think he'll be doing outside activities, I'd go for warmer or warmest. The guys around here wear coats like this..

Young men don't wear scarves around here. If they need something warm around their necks for outdoor activities, they wear fleece neck-warmers which are easy to make. Cut a 10-12" piece of fleece a couple inches wider than the diameter of his head and then stitch up the side.

Don't forget some warm boots, too.

We find a lot of good stuff in season at discount stores like Ocean State Job Lots - wool socks, Thinsulate gloves, and long underwear are reasonably priced there. Consignment shops are good for things like snow pants and spring/fall jackets.

Definitely layers. He'd probably be happier with some waterproof gloves than hand-knitted mittens, but the scarf should definitely see some use. The Columbia coats ARE nice and they often have zip out liners so they're versatile. He'll need some waterproof shoes . . .boots or clogs. Sneakers will get wet and his feet will freeze. Wool socks are wonderful! Polor fleece is very warm too and light enough to wear indoors. Jeans can be COLD so he might want another type of pants as an option . . .wool slacks, really thick sweats, or long underwear for under the jeans. Extra blankets, or even an electric blanket, for his room would be nice if he has a roommate who can't take a stuffy room. Also, something to make hot beverages can be comforting.

ETA: They do make hoodies with some serious fleece lining in them, so it looks like a hoodie but is extra thick.

Edited by KungFuPanda

I visited a college campus in upstate NY last week..young men were wearing layers, mostly hoodies for the outer and a few were still in peacoats (think H&M).

But it hasn't been really cold this spring.

I think most guys have warm jackets for those days they really need them. Ds manages most of the year with a fleece jacket or hoodie but does have a warmer jacket for those really cold days or if he's going to be outside for a longer amount of time. The same goes for warm boots. There is nothing worse than wet, cold feet. I would buy whatever he will wear. He can wait and see what the other guys wear and order something. Some of the students here are wearing really fun hats and others won't be caught dead with a hat at all. It's nice to have a pair of warm winter gloves, you know for cleaning off the car or a snowball fight. Most mittens get too wet. If he's going to be in the snow and won't wear snow pants be sure he has a long under layer for his jeans.

He'll have fun!

The same goes for warm boots. There is nothing worse than wet, cold feet. I would buy whatever he will wear. He can wait and see what the other guys wear and order something.

This is precisely what my son did. He took some cues from the guys in the dorm, then looked online.

The same goes for warm boots. There is nothing worse than wet, cold feet.

Except maybe sitting in a three hour class in an overheated eighty-degree classroom with sweating feet. ;) Been there. For some reason, college classrooms seem to be either freezing cold or torturously hot.

A lot of this stuff he's going to have to figure out on the ground, so to speak, like tennies vs. boots or coat vs. hoodie w/ vest. I'd have him pick up one of everything, and let him figure it out when he gets there.

My girls went to college in upstate NY. I learned *alot* about dressing for weather.

REI is great, and this time of year winter things are on sale. we like llbean too. I've gotten some good deals from sierra trading post, but that's hit or miss.

fiber is everything - AVOID cotton. cotton abosrbs 4X's it's weight in water (re: perspiration) and takes forever to dry. trailheads for winter camps have signs that warn "cotton kills".

you want something that is warm even if it gets wet: i.e. wool, polar fleece (polar fleece varies in quality - so pay attention)

breathable so you aren't trapped in your own sweat.

I'm very unimpressed by most acrylics - most of them look pretty, but aren't actually warm.

1dd despised her high quality down coat because it was too bulky and she couldn't wear a backpack over it. later she bought this. in a women's version. it is rated to -15F. there is also a colder version that goes to -30F. it's easy to move in.

look at skiing/snoboarding type jackets as they are made for movement in cold.

if you can afford gore-tex it is *very* breathable while still being waterproof. there are cheaper versions that work.

layer:

1st - good long underwear a breathable fiber will keep him comfrotable as he goes inside/outside. silk, wool, polar synthetic type.

socks - again, wool or good quality synthetic is best.

boots:

for my three who've been in cold - I got them steger mukluks. not cheap, BUT they lasted all four years the girls were in NY and they still have lots of life. they're rated to -20 with just one pair of socks, but can go significantly colder with accomodations. My niece bought a pair for her rocky mountain college where it's very cold - they were her aboslute favorite thing. (they have "prettier" pairs for women, but I got my son the yukons as they are definitely more masculine - but very warm.)

Long johns for under the jeans / shirts. They really make a difference and don't affect the "look" at all. He won't need to wear them that often, but for walking outside on those really cold days, they are indispensible in my opinion.

Edited by SKL

Except maybe sitting in a three hour class in an overheated eighty-degree classroom with sweating feet. ;) Been there. For some reason, college classrooms seem to be either freezing cold or torturously hot.

A lot of this stuff he's going to have to figure out on the ground, so to speak, like tennies vs. boots or coat vs. hoodie w/ vest. I'd have him pick up one of everything, and let him figure it out when he gets there.

:lol: It's true. What you need for a quick walk to class and being outside playing is totally different.

I am a huge fan of LL Beans!

I love these shoes for when you are just walking around outside some. Not in deep snow, but if you were walking on a shoveled pathway to a class and then were going to sit in a warm classroom for awhile, these would be perfect.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/58679?feat=506791-GN2

I know we had a weirdly warm winter this year, and a saleperson at Beans told me that they were very overstocked on winter clothes this year. This is always the time to buy winter stuff, but maybe more so this year.

I second the idea of a pair of good (not thick!) long johns. Coming from California, he might find that he feels much colder than many of the guys around him who have grown up in cold weather. A pair of long johns under his jeans makes him *feel* wamer without *looking* out of place.

I second the idea of a pair of good (not thick!) long johns. Coming from California, he might find that he feels much colder than many of the guys around him who have grown up in cold weather. A pair of long johns under his jeans makes him *feel* wamer without *looking* out of place.

Perhaps in upstate NY but in Ohio? I don't think that long johns will be needed. As previously noted, the dorms and classrooms are often very warm. It is not as though he'll be laboring out of doors for long periods (unless he is completely enchanted by snow!)

Jane, mom of coastal kid attending college in Ohio (sans long johns)

Layers :) Thermal undershirts work well.

I absolutely love flannel and fleece lined jeans (Eddie Bauer has them for men online- and maybe Land's End).

Snow boots - Sorel Caribous are the bomb. My DH has a pair he has had for over 20 years now, still going strong.

Something like a long, shell jacket :

(http://www.rei.com/product/820230/holden-field-shell-jacket-mens)

with fleeces for underneath, rather than one huge coat.

Or this:

http://www.rei.com/product/818604/686-smarty-command-3-in-1-insulated-jacket-mens

Which has the shell and fleece liner together - but they can also be worn separately.

:lol: It's true. What you need for a quick walk to class and being outside playing is totally different.

Yep. I grew up in Upstate NY and went to college there. If it was actively snowing on the way to class, I might wear a wind breaker or my rain jacket. Otherwise, you just rushed and coped.

It drives my grandmother nuts when I dress like that when we're there in the winter. I'll put my coat in the car, but I won't wear it for the 30 foot walk to the car from the front door. I hate riding in it, I won't want to wear it in the store or museum, so I have it in the car for "just in case." Same for the kids - I warm up the car a little (which I know is a no-no, but I did it especially when I had babies), and then I just get them in a car and throw a blanket over their laps. They're warm enough once the car gets going and they don't have to ride in a coat (which is less safe in general and torture for my sensory kid).

My ds's outerwear is LLBean. He has one of those three season coats where the liner and shell can be used as coats separately.

Besides a decent coat, he needs good socks (I recommend smartwool, warm, but not itchy) and good gloves.

I'm not familiar with Ohio, but lined jeans might come in handy. LLBean makes jeans and khakis lined with flannel and fleece. I've never worn fleece lined--that would be overkill for me.

There are college students who only wear flip flops and hoodies in all weather. There is a range in that is worn on most campuses. Indoors my ds wears t shirts year round (and then complains the house is cold).

Hey Jenn- remember that Ohio has damp cold (I grew up there)- (not dry cold like SD where we now live)- it can be below zero in SD and "feel" warmer than Ohio- which temp wise might be higher, but with wet, it can really chill you. Also, it depends on where he lives if he'll get deep snow or not- southern/central Ohio- probably not lots of deep snow. Winters can be muddy and overcast.

I second the long underwear- got dh and ds some silk long underwear last year from an on-line hunting supply place- pricey but he and ds wore it all winter for outside work (ds worked with cattle 1 long day a week). They fit under jeans like a 2nd skin.

Seconding good socks- wool is always great- Sams has 3 packs in our area for $15- pretty cheap for mid-calf wool socks.

The campus about is a consideration too. Where I went to school, the winters were cold and student parking was limited. There was some definite outdoor schlepping between buildings and no guarantees when you dressed in the morning that you'd be parking just outside ANY of your classes. Even if the university offers shuttles or trams, you are often standing outside waiting for them.

The Cabelas website has some nice sales on outerwear :001_smile:

Are you talking northern Ohio which is very cold or central Ohio fairly cold or southern Ohio which has some mild winters?

Layers. A good rain coat helps for fall/spring. Waterproof winter coat if he'll be out a lot. Some kind of waterproof boot/shoe is helpful.

I grew up in L.A and moved to the midwest as a teen, so I can relate. You can't tell him everything he needs to know. No one told me not to sled down a hill covered with ice - head first. I had to learn the hard way as the runners went under the ice and stopped the sled and my face went right into the ice. A million tiny ice cuts was a valuable learning experience. The elements can pack a wallop. He might not have that issue, but some kids get drunk and pass out in the cold.