Menu

Hospital Births are not natural! venting...

I just had my 5th baby. I have chosen to do hospital births for each child. Why? It seems to be my comfort zone. Wish I was brave enough to do home births. My friends do, many of them, and I cheer them on.

That said, I need to vent to --someone-- about hospitals and what giving birth has become. I was 42 weeks 2 days and had to be induced by having my water broken. That didn't seem to work so well so I chose to add in a "whiff" of pitocin putting me into nice otherwise natural labor.

My vent is in regards to how hospitals have you show up to give birth and want to hook you up to all these THINGS. An IV, those annoying elastic monitors that watch the baby's heart rate, your contractions (like you don't know when you are having one?!!). The BP cuff, and the pulse ox thingy on your finger. Sigh. Really?!! WHY? Because women sue. My water was broken and I was not allowed to go PEE!!! I had to use a bed pan. Seriously? All because hospital policy says I am at risk for cord prolapse. I know the doctor can override some things....but not much.

We need to get our rights back. I don't give a crap about hospital policy. I do care about my baby's heart rate....I do. I do care if my BP is high. I do care about the end result--me being alive and my baby healthy and well. But, I desire to reach those results as natural as possible.

What is amazing to me is how perfectly God has designed our bodies, from little things like the prostaglandin in semen to soften the cervix, to breastfeeding causing the uterus to contract (ouch) to help it shrink. AMAZING. The natural endorphins you get during transition to get you revved up and into the pushing phase! AMAZING.

Let our bodies do what they are meant to do. Walking into a hospital, throwing us on our backs and pushing a drug to numb us to not move while being hooked up to tons of wires and whatnots?! UGH.

Like I said, this is a vent. I have had 4 natural (meaning no pain killers) births to BIG babies (my first was induced, pitocin, epidural, etc). Yes, women can give birth to babies bigger than 6 pounds. LOL. I don't care, BTW, if you choose to get an epidural. As long as that is your choice. I want the choice to not get monitored every second, even if I have pit. I hate hospital policy and I think it harms more than helps.

OK. I'm done. I feel better. Thank you. :D

I'm thankful the hospital I work for doesn't "make" women get hooked up to anything. We have women come in all the time and have natural labors without so much as a cervical check. Personally, I am thankful for epidurals. :D

Congrats on the new baby!

I'm thankful the hospital I work for doesn't "make" women get hooked up to anything. We have women come in all the time and have natural labors without so much as a cervical check. Personally, I am thankful for epidurals. :D

Really?!! They don't? That's good to know. The two hospitals I used here in LA had lots of rules. Michigan wasn't as bad but still had their protocols and annoyances.

:grouphug: I'm sorry.

Happy new baby:D.

FWIW, my impression is that this kind of thing varies regionally. I had all 3 at a local hospital--planned induction with each (1 with epidural, 2 with nothing). After the first and second doses of cytotec, my contractions/baby's heart rate were monitored for an hour, and after that I was told to skedaddle and walk around. I was encouraged to use the shower or tub, birthing ball, etc., and stayed on my feet until the bitter end (well, not with the epi one, obviously!). After what felt like awfully severe back labor with #3, I finally dropped to my knees next to the bed, and the nurse actually started prepping the FLOOR for the delivery. Personally, I wanted to be in bed, and told her so:D. I always tell friends going there for the first time that if you even think you might want an epidural, you'd better not tell the nurses you're going natural--'cause that's what you'll be doing:D.

All that to say that yes, it's a shame so many places insist on flat-on-the-back, but take heart--some places are or have changed!

I've never had a hospital birth, although both of my sisters have natural hands-off births in birthing centers. Both had large babies ( 3 of those babies were well over 9 lbs) and all were delievered naturally. Both sisters were able to rest in a warm tub for hours. None had anything more than wrist IVs 'just in case', although nothing was needed. Both sisters spent hours in a warm tub.

I just had my 5th baby. I have chosen to do hospital births for each child. Why? It seems to be my comfort zone. Wish I was brave enough to do home births. My friends do, many of them, and I cheer them on.

That said, I need to vent to --someone-- about hospitals and what giving birth has become. I was 42 weeks 2 days and had to be induced by having my water broken. That didn't seem to work so well so I chose to add in a "whiff" of pitocin putting me into nice otherwise natural labor.

My vent is in regards to how hospitals have you show up to give birth and want to hook you up to all these THINGS. An IV, those annoying elastic monitors that watch the baby's heart rate, your contractions (like you don't know when you are having one?!!). The BP cuff, and the pulse ox thingy on your finger. Sigh. Really?!! WHY? Because women sue. My water was broken and I was not allowed to go PEE!!! I had to use a bed pan. Seriously? All because hospital policy says I am at risk for cord prolapse. I know the doctor can override some things....but not much.

We need to get our rights back. I don't give a crap about hospital policy. I do care about my baby's heart rate....I do. I do care if my BP is high. I do care about the end result--me being alive and my baby healthy and well. But, I desire to reach those results as natural as possible.

What is amazing to me is how perfectly God has designed our bodies, from little things like the prostaglandin in semen to soften the cervix, to breastfeeding causing the uterus to contract (ouch) to help it shrink. AMAZING. The natural endorphins you get during transition to get you revved up and into the pushing phase! AMAZING.

Let our bodies do what they are meant to do. Walking into a hospital, throwing us on our backs and pushing a drug to numb us to not move while being hooked up to tons of wires and whatnots?! UGH.

Like I said, this is a vent. I have had 4 natural (meaning no pain killers) births to BIG babies (my first was induced, pitocin, epidural, etc). Yes, women can give birth to babies bigger than 6 pounds. LOL. I don't care, BTW, if you choose to get an epidural. As long as that is your choice. I want the choice to not get monitored every second, even if I have pit. I hate hospital policy and I think it harms more than helps.

:hurray:

:iagree:

I'm due next week with #4, and am having a homebirth. My first two babies were hospital births, my third was a home waterbirth.

Even though my labors were quick with no complications, I had to fight the doctors and nurses to get the natural births I wanted in the hospital. I did so much research before #1 was born, made a birth plan, etc...I expected that my birth plan would be followed. Not so. They made me feel like an idiot when I wanted to move around during labor, and push while I was on all fours. With baby #2 I had to argue with the attending doctor (mine was out of town) when he was about to give me an episiotomy. My labor was only 3 hours long...what was the rush? My 9 lb 1oz son was born a few minutes later and I only had a small tear.

If I went through that much arguing with my 4 hr and 3 hr labors, I can only imagine what women who have to be there for 12-24hrs deal with. They must be completely exhausted by the end!

I finally watched The Business of Being Born the other night and it just made me mad all over again. Yes, I can understand interventions *when they are needed.* But a lot of hospitals treat every woman like they are high risk, which leads to more and more interventions, and sometimes unnecessary complications.

that is what the hospitals are like here as well.

though some don't give epidurals.

Many hospitals do not require all you mentioned. Sometimes you might have to sign Some disclaimer first, however.

But no matter what hospital you are in, it is still your body. You can do anything you want. No one can hold you prisoner in a bed you do not want to be in if you are just there to deliver.

Congrats to your new child. And for #6, I hope you find a more progressive hospital.

:)

Congrats!

Personally, I believe Thank God hospitals aren't natural. In nature women often died in child birth. I LOVE modern medicine. Loved that my son was revived at birth by a team because he wouldn't start breathing and is a joy for me today, ten yrs later, a big, healthy boy.

I know what you mean. I completely respect the choice to give birth in a hossie, and I also am grateful that some of the technology is available to those that need it... but I think the way most women have to give birth is a huge intrusion on their rights, and I think that most babies are not treated as gently and naturally as they should be after they were born.

I'm 5'1", I've had 2 healthy home water births. My first was 9 1/2 pounds, and 2 1/2 weeks late, my second over 8 1/2 pounds and 1 day early... I'm almost certain had a doctor gotten the opportunity to look me over and ultrasound they would have insisted on interventions because of size and lateness on my first. Because, after all, it's impossible for a small mama to have a healthy baby that's big or late, right?

Congrats!!!! I had a pretty good hospital birth with #1 (although 2 and 3 were at home) I found the most relaxed OB (and also thought to be the best) and waited until very late to go. I didn't even have an IV. I know my experience was unusual though and haven't heard anyone else in our area have such a non-interventionist birth.

:grouphug:

I'm glad the hospitals in Australia are different.

I was hooked up to all those things with my first because I was scared and chose to have the epidural so I had to get a cath and IV and continuous monitoring and lie on my back the whole time - it was horrible.

The next two times I said no way to the epidural and was allowed to do whatever I wanted. For DS1 I gave birth to him standing up beside the bed and the nurse knelt on the floor and caught him from behind.

For DS 2 I walked around and only got on the bed when it was time to push him out.

Both times the nurse just checked the babies heartbeat with a stethascope at regular intervals. They knew how my contractions where going by putting their hand on my stomach and when I was ready by me yelling "I have to push" :lol:

I didn't even have to wear a hospital gown - both times they let me wear my own clothes.

These were just regular public hospitals too -not natural birthing centres or anything. I always joke to my DH how boring it must be for the nurses when someone is in labour -both times the nurses just sat in the corner of the room during their paper work while I carried on doing whatever :lol:

Four years before I had my own kids, my best friend asked me to be in the labor room with her and her husband when my god daughter was born. At the time, I was horrified by how unnatural the whole process seemed. It was such a "clinical" experience and I knew I didn't want my birthing experiences to be like that. I don't feel like typing out my birthing stories, but they were both in the hospital and the first one I barely remember because of the gallons of pitocin they were pumping in. The second was much better, but still too "medical" for me. If were ever to have another, which is highly unlikely due to dh's vasectomy :tongue_smilie:, I would definitely insist on a home birth.

Totally agree with the bolded statement and one of the main reasons I stayed out of the hospital for my births....

I'm sorry the birth of your baby was surrounded by such frustration, but still - congratulations!! At least that is behind you now and you can enjoy your new little nursling.

I thought my hospital births were great and would echo the others who said your experience is not typical of all hospitals. The only monitoring/IV lines I had during birth was one painkiller I requested. Nothing else.

I'm also wary when we talk about how natural childbirth is. Death and injury are perfectly natural as well, especially in places and times where/when we didn't have the hospitals and medical knowledge we do know.

All that aside, congrats! :D

Congratulations to the OP. I am so happy both of you are healthy.

I am not sure how one can say that we should let our bodies do what they do, but on the other hand the choice to have your labor induced by pitocin does raise the risk of various problems and increase the need for monitoring, and is not just letting things go natural, which may not end well.

No one threw me on my back. There are certain things that may just be their habits but, if asked, no one necessarily has any great attachment to - but these are the sorts of things I investigated before going into labor and indeed before choosing who would be with me during delivery.

I'm also wary when we talk about how natural childbirth is. Death and injury are perfectly natural as well, especially in places and times where/when we didn't have the hospitals and medical knowledge we do know.

Yep, just had one of these in my family, where we ended up being grateful to have one party survive.

:grouphug:

I'm glad the hospitals in Australia are different.

I was hooked up to all those things with my first because I was scared and chose to have the epidural so I had to get a cath and IV and continuous monitoring and lie on my back the whole time - it was horrible.

The next two times I said no way to the epidural and was allowed to do whatever I wanted. For DS1 I gave birth to him standing up beside the bed and the nurse knelt on the floor and caught him from behind.

For DS 2 I walked around and only got on the bed when it was time to push him out.

Both times the nurse just checked the babies heartbeat with a stethascope at regular intervals. They knew how my contractions where going by putting their hand on my stomach and when I was ready by me yelling "I have to push" :lol:

I didn't even have to wear a hospital gown - both times they let me wear my own clothes.

These were just regular public hospitals too -not natural birthing centres or anything. I always joke to my DH how boring it must be for the nurses when someone is in labour -both times the nurses just sat in the corner of the room during their paper work while I carried on doing whatever :lol:

I agree with Aussie hospitals.

the delivery room had a birthing stool, a big exercise ball, mattress on the floor, and a bed.

All the modern monitores etc are in the room as well, and they are used if there is a need. but mostly the nurses check the baby's heart beet every few minutes with a Doppler(?) and feel on your stomach to see how far down the head has moved. No hospital gowns at all, free to go into shower, walk around room or whatever. Can give birth in any position that you care to think about trying. Gas is available if you want it etc. a very safe and relaxed environment.

My Dr always had a laugh that I had all my babies lying on my left side. He said that is the way they have the women drawn in the text books, but in his many years of delivering babies, I am the only one he knows that uses that position.

Welcome, baby!!!

Hospital births definitely vary from building to building and caregiver to caregiver.

I delivered 3 times in 1 hospital over the course of 8 years and went from a perfectly natural, uncontested birth to the full "lay down and shut up" birth in the same place WITH the same caregivers who had had their authority gradually eaten away. (They no longer deliver there!) I just wish they had prepared me for the changes. It was hard to advocate for myself when I had no expectation of needing to, based on prior experiences.

Around here "natural birth" means "not a c section." It took a while for me to figure out that when people asked if I "had her/ him naturally" they were actually asking if I'd had a c section!

I just accept the "stuff" they do to me in the hospital because I'm never, ever giving birth without an epidural again. So I accept their routine to get the pain meds.

Every hospital is different. I've been in hospitals that did all those things, in a hospital that ONLY hooked you up to an IV just in case (but still let you eat, drink, and go pee), and I've given birth at home (still had to have my water broken for me).

Congratulations on your new little one!

I have had 3 similar experiences. That said, there are some good low intervention hospitals. But let's face it, if you're at the hospital, intervention is a given. I had a friend who had a great low intervention birth at the hospital here even though we have a 40% c-section rate. She got lucky and had a good, accommodating midwife. I'm sorry about your intervention experience, OP. :grouphug:

Congratulations on your new baby!!!!

Listen, we've been fighting this battle since the early 70s, at least. The problem is that the many women who were born in the last 35 years or so, whose mothers fought even to have the fathers in the delivery rooms, are enamored with technology and they are not battling it enough. I am horrified by the number of women who think nothing of the intrusive practices (yes, even epidurals are intrusive) of their doctors, and who do things like actually schedule c-sections. We have not gone forward; we have retreated. :(

I have had 3 similar experiences. That said, there are some good low intervention hospitals. But let's face it, if you're at the hospital, intervention is a given. I had a friend who had a great low intervention birth at the hospital here even though we have a 40% c-section rate. She got lucky and had a good, accommodating midwife. I'm sorry about your intervention experience, OP. :grouphug:

I know it really depends on the hospital. I am sorry you had a bad experience, but for my vbac, I did have a natural birth in the hospital. I had an IV in my hand but it was not hooked up to anything, it was there in case I needed something, bit it came out during delivery anyway and they just left it off.

I wanted monitors because my first child went into distress in labor and delivery. But no meda, no water broken, nothing but watching me amd talking to me until I said I needed to push, then we pushed. It was hard, it was painful, but it was also amazing. I did not want to walk or move....I just wanted to lay down and rest between contractions.

I am sorry you had a bad experience, but not all hospitals are that way. Actually, neither of the two I delivered at were.

My last hospital birth was horriible. (well, it ended with a healthy baby, but the whole process was horrible) I arrived at an 8 and they still insisted on an IV (which they pushed so fast my arm felt worse than the contractions), a monitor they wouldn't le me get off of, (every time I sat up too much, she'd move the bed back down), and then my OB was in such a hurry (it was the middle of the night and he obviously wanted to go back to bed) he stuck his hand places he shouldn't to manually stretch out my cer., demanding I push even though I wasn't fully dialated. I had an easy, very tolerable labor before that, but the the hour and a half at the hossy was hell and left me so exhausted I didn't even want to see the baby right away. (the baby I had prayed and longed for for over 3 years) I won't go back there unless it's a real need.

As to the people who say no one's forcing you. That's true. And I kicked myself for not speaking up sooner. (I did eventually tell him to get his hand out of me) But it is also true that this is such a vulnerable time for a women. You have put your trust in these people to provide care and support durin this time. You shouldn't have to be on guard to whatever new intrusive thing they come up. It's hard enough to birth a baby wothout battling a hospital at the same time.

Yep, just had one of these in my family, where we ended up being grateful to have one party survive.

:grouphug: My condolences.

My last birth would have been one of those as well if I hadn't been in a modern hospital. Vaginal, first with no epidural, a nice relaxed atmosphere with respectful staff - and in another environment I would have bled to death if not for 'unnatural" intervention.

It made me take a hard look at the way we treat the term "natural".

Congratulations on your new baby!!!!

Listen, we've been fighting this battle since the early 70s, at least. The problem is that the many women who were born in the last 35 years or so, whose mothers fought even to have the fathers in the delivery rooms, are enamored with technology and they are not battling it enough. I am horrified by the number of women who think nothing of the intrusive practices (yes, even epidurals are intrusive) of their doctors, and who do things like actually schedule c-sections. We have not gone forward; we have retreated. :(

A welcome intrusion for some of us.

I did the no-epidural thing with the latest. Although I handled it well there's no way I'd choose to have a no-epidural birth again. :D

I have never had a hospital "make" me do anything unless I asked for an epidural, then I needed the IV, bp and the rest otherwise Iwas free to walk around as I wanted. However, pain and me don't do well. I get as far as I can then I am ready for an epidural. Yes, I'm a wimp.

my hospital did require all of that and I'm grateful since I probably would have lost my son if I hadnt been hooked up to monitors. He was completely wrapped in the cord, over his shoulder, around his chest and around his ankle. He was so tightly wrapped he couldn't even get into the correct birthing position. I delivered him face up and crooked, with his nose toward my hip. Yeah, quite painful so I was desperately glad I had an epidural. His heart actually stopped and we knew it because of the monitors. My dr was able to get him out quickly with forceps with an emergency team standing by to revive him. It was all very quiet and very calmly done.

I kept having to change position during labor because we kept losing his heart rate. I know now it was because of cord compression.

it's great if you can have a normal birth with no issues, but not everybody can. You never know what is going on. A seemingly normal birth can get tricky vey quickly.

Not all hospitals are that way. I had my last two kids at home after an ok hospital experience. I was initially planning another homebirth and switched. The ob and hospital I'm using let you eat and drink, does monitoring intermittently, and doesn't restrict position at all. They also have swank jacuzzi tubs.

Many hospitals do not require all you mentioned. Sometimes you might have to sign Some disclaimer first, however.

But no matter what hospital you are in, it is still your body. You can do anything you want. No one can hold you prisoner in a bed you do not want to be in if you are just there to deliver.

Congrats to your new child. And for #6, I hope you find a more progressive hospital.

:iagree::iagree: Ours has the standard protocol... but you can say "No thanks." But only if you KNOW you can say, "No thanks." They don't ask you. They do the standard routine, but you can say no or tell them what you are actually doing. I had my first birth at a hospital in a bed with the IV and the monitor and all that and felt totally overwhelmed. I had my next birth at the exact same hospital, but with midwives who I previously discussed my wishes with, and who I knew would back me up when I walked in with my birth plan, said I was in labor, and that I would not be getting any IV or heplock and was not having continual monitoring, ignored the hospital gown, and hopped into the hot tub instead of the bed (they gave me the one hot tub room when they found out I was with the midwives). The hospital sent in a pro-natural nurse on the floor at the moment, shut the door, and then left me completely alone, lol. The nurse brought me juice and such.

The only protocol I HAD to follow was intermittant monitoring, 20 min per hour. That was annoying. Also getting out of the water at the end. Also annoying. I had my last at home.

Congrats on the baby!!!

Edited by LittleIzumi

Just another perspective...I had a planned c section with my son due to some complications we knew about ahead of time. I was well rested and it was a great experience. I had little pain and what discomfort I did have was readily controlled with low dose narcotics , was walking around by the afternoon and was able to walk two miles around town a week later. You can't see the scar now and I never had any complications from it.

I was offered a VBAC this time but i really have no interest in it. Second c section is scheduled for May 30th. Maybe it is because I work in the medical field, but things like IVs don't bother me at all--in fact, I offered to put it in myself. For me, I am happy to have the choices available to me.

I don't agree with this at all. It sounds like many of you delivered in places where you were given a lot more freedom of choice. That's very fortunate. Not all hospitals are alike and not all personnel are alike. There are many places where you're threatened with CPS getting involved and browbeaten if you dare to do or request to do anything outside of standard protocol. I don't really consider it a choice when you're being told that if you don't do what they say, they have your newborn baby taken away from you.

SAD Standard American Diet

SAD Standard American Delivery!

I hate both!!!

I was considering a home birth with our 3rd and told it was illegal for the midwife to come. Our 2nd child was delivered by an RN who called the Dr. but he did not show up. She was like a Doula and Midwife rolled into one.

She helped me so much I thought that was what a midwife would be like.

I was wrong! I did get to walk around with her, and had a fast labor all natural.

With our 4th child I went to the local midwives and had the most awesome time taking a warm bath one night, spending time with my husband.. going to bed with massage oil wafting up sending me into dream land... then I had to get up and go to the bathroom and my water broke as soon as I sat down. I was amazed and told my dh I would shower and get ready to go.

Long story short, we checked in and told the nurses my water broke, I got in the gown, and went to sleep in the hospital bed while I could... and was having a luxurious labor, feeling literally no pain... a few cramps in the shower was it... then a nurse runs in the room and is shocked that she woke me up... Didn't I know I was having contractions?? No I did not... amazing, until I felt an urge to push and no Dr. or Midwife was there!!!!!

between 15-19 minutes I was told to wait and keep pulling the baby back in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still have Post Traumatic Stress syndrome, not to mention a fear of that hospital, a dd8 who has had so much trouble with passing out, being unconscious several times, and learning disabilites...

As soon as the midwife came, she did deliver her, but she never came back to check on me.

Immediately the midwives were all banned from the hospital.

I did not even know until my recent trip there to Triage that no Dr. is at the hospital on a 24/7 basis. They just call them for help over the phone unless it is a delivery or emergency. Unfortunately they were so mean to me, and told me nothing was wrong. I HAD A DOUBLE KIDNEY and Bladder infection that was debilitating me. The Nurse actually told me that I could just go to the ER for my pain when I finally had blood drawn, ultrasound, fetal monitor and everything checked out ok.

I went home and took Olive Leaf Extract, which I took right before going over there. My back quit hurting that night... then I felt my bladder hurting, but before the pain was radiating all over my lower to mid back, and all along my lower ab, shooting down my legs inside... so I asked for prayer on here and every response was telling me to go to the ER... that I was in Premature Labor.

SO, everyone was wrong, and I am glad, but am paying dearly for that visit.

Now I am finally going to the Dr. who did my endometriosis surgery last August and sure he will be upset at me for not coming sooner. I was trying to get ready for a home birth, but the only midwives available are just too far away..and I have 7 children whom I will have to get a sitter for at the right moment.

I was just telling my dh that it will be hard to wait until close to delivery and get to the hospital and if the Dr. is not there, he will have to go ahead and deliver this baby.

Our last baby was born with a midwife attending in another county farther away and she let him deliver our son. But I did not like her and they keep billing us 2 years later with bills we already paid.

I am sad that this is our last baby, in a way, but also relieved that I will not have to be tortured again... even though this labor has not happened yet.... I pray for God's will to be done.

SAD it is in this region!

A seemingly normal birth can get tricky very quickly.
Oh my, yes. I believe in balance. I'm absolutely fine with a heplock or even IV because if an emergency situation presents itself suddenly I don't want any time lost because now an IV needs to be placed. If my water is broken I want to be closely monitored because cord prolapse (especially if baby has not engaged) is a very real concern. I know I can refuse things (the doctor/nurses may not like it but whatever) yet I also know and believe that my baby's (or in my case, babies') safe and healthy delivery is the primary concern for everyone. That isn't to say that unmonitored labor/delivery is unsafe! I'm just not against interventions or the use of technology to help keep an eye on things. With every baby I have the more thankful I am for hospitals, doctors/midwives, and modern technology. :)

I'm also very thankful for my OB who refuses to break a woman's water to induce, again due to the very real issue of cord prolapse. ;)

And there you go. :-)

The more technology involved, the higher the liklihood that there will be more complications, which ups the number of c-sections and birth complications. That would explain why the U.S. has such a high number of c-sections.

A welcome intrusion for some of us.

I did the no-epidural thing with the latest. Although I handled it well there's no way I'd choose to have a no-epidural birth again. :D

Mine caused me 10+ years of chronic back pain. :( My next 3 natural births were nothing compared to the pain of the 3 times they tried to place it and then the years of pain. It's all too common, too.

Congrats!

Personally, I believe Thank God hospitals aren't natural. In nature women often died in child birth. I LOVE modern medicine. Loved that my son was revived at birth by a team because he wouldn't start breathing and is a joy for me today, ten yrs later, a big, healthy boy.

:grouphug: I know from personal experience how scary that can be!

However, my amazing midwife was able to revive my son who was not breathing at birth, even though we were not in a hospital, and he is now a happy thriving five year old.

Midwives are prepared and capable of handling many common childbirth emergencies, and transfer patients as soon as it becomes apparent that they need additional care they cannot provide.

As for me, I thank God that women have the choice to birth in a hospital if they are high risk or feel more comfortable there. And I am glad that (most) women have the choice to birth in a birth center or at home as well, with fewer interventions and the risks those entail.

:grouphug: to the poster above in Kentucky, where midwives cannot legally attend homebirths- a travesty!

I am thankful for doctors, OBs, advanced technology, hospitals, interventions, medications, etc. But they should not be used unless they are wanted and/or necessary. Many hospital policies are not created with the best in mind for the health of mother and child. I had hospital births for my 1st and 3rd children, my middle child was a homebirth. Our hospital had all kinds of signs up about how breastfeeding friendly they were, family friendly, wonderful peaceful birth friendly. They make me want to spit. They were all lies. Their ridiculous policies and sometimes rude/pushy nurses prevented them from being able to fulfill these promises. You have a right to refuse things, but many hospitals do not let you know this, and if you dare to to try they will attempt to dissuade you, threaten you or guilt you into doing them anyhow. :glare: Ask me how I know...

I think the issue here is CHOICE. Pregnant patients in most hospitals are not given much choice when it comes to interventions, and a lot of women find all that out when they arrive at the hospital to give birth. No one tells them beforehand that they have to can't walk around during labor, because they have to have fetal monitoring and IV, and you can't give birth in any other position except flat on your back.

I found all that out during my childbirth classes that the hospital I planned to deliver at. When the asked the nurse about delivering naturally, she kind of smirked and told me that 98% of the patients receive an epidural. When she passed around the forceps and explained how they sometimes need to suction the baby out, and how pitocin is given routinely, I ran for the nearest birth center.

I was fortunate though since I live less than 10 minutes away from a birth center, and 7 minutes away from a hospital. And even though I delivered all my babies at the birth center, the physician that owns the center recommended me for a c-section because of the size of my last baby (10 lbs, 6 oz). Of course I refused, but I wonder if I would have had that option in a hospital setting under the care of a typical OB.

Anyway, natural birth is not for everyone, but for those of us that want it - it should be a real option, not something to be scoffed at in a hospital setting. Just my .02 :001_smile:

Congrats on your baby!!

Thanks for all the congrats! I didn't mean to sound like I am not grateful for medical intervention when needed...I know that the number of moms that die in labor is WAY less and that many, many babies (especially preemies) are saved from death too.

I do know that I can refuse things...and I tried. I think really the nurse makes or breaks it. She was newer and probably too focused on doing things "right." I should have been more pushy,,,though why should I have to be fighting policy when I am trying to focus on labor. I am glad to hear that not ALL hospitals are that way. Though my experiences in Michigan and California are similar. The nurses are what really changed things.

Someone mentioned that I chose to go the unnatural way by being induced. Yes, well, I didn't have a doctor that would let me go past 42 weeks 2 days! The nurses at the hospital could not believe I was "that late." I said, no one comes in at 42 weeks? They were like, NO, maybe 41. :confused: I just have late babies. I know my dates. It's too bad they force them out. From what I hear midwives don't let patients go past 42 weeks now either. My doctor had 30 March babies due. Come April I was the ONLY one not delivered. WHY? Because doctor pushes inducing at 39 weeks! Stupid.

Anyways, I was comfortable with being induced and I knew my body was ready. Which indeed it was. I just should have told myself to be more prepared for medical interventions. I got sick of fighting after awhile and my husband tried his best. I eventually just gave in to some things....like antibiotics for group B even though I thought I had tested negative?!!

So, I stand by what I say. Giving birth is a natural thing. Yes, so is dying and thankfully with some interventions it can be prevented! I choose hospital births because I am thankful to have the medical there if needed....though my husband reminded me the hospital is only 5 minutes away. Ha! Oh well.

My point is I should walk into a hospital and not be touched. Left alone and up to the doctor. The nurse should do what I want her to do....especially this having been my 5th baby and I was not new to it. Balance is key. Choice is key. I feel all the monitoring, etc., causes a downward spiral. Isn't it kind of weird that many who don't educate themselves and do as told by the nurses and doctors end up with c-sections? My 2 sisters-in-law have 2 kids each, all c-sections....because the baby's heart rate was elevated. Huh. Interesting. That said, I do know that c-sections are SOMETIMES needed and thankful for the babies' lives they have saved.:001_smile: BUT, don't read that wrong...not saying you didn't educate yourself if you ended up with a c-section. I went in very educated and could have ended up with one. That wasn't my point. My point was my SILs didn't care either way and both had their 2nd babies scheduled. I could not schedule a major surgery like that for myself if there was a more natural way....but it is choice and preference so I judge not.

I knew I shouldn't have vented and didn't mean to open a can of worms. I really wish women would see it as a more natural thing, perfectly designed by God though.

Birthing at home doesn't mean a woman is braver than one not choosing to birth at home.

To me, bravery isn't much of an issue. There's a baby that needs to get out, no choice in that, and we'll each research our options and pick our paths.

Some may attach virtue to certain choices but I think that's a false exercise.

Hot topic....my 2cents worth

The reason hospitals are on guard with women & birth

OB is the highest liability of all the specialties out there. The parent can sue up to the child's 18th birthday...the child has another 3 years until they are 21.

I've heard numerous stories where women thought they had to pee or poo only to find it was a contraction and now there is a child in the toilet, not exactly the best way for delivery to happen.

I agree mom should have choice and say but there is always the risk and the hospital's staff job is to mitigate that as much as possible for the safety of both the hospital & the mom & baby.

As a former neonatal ICU nurse the horror stories (rare yes) of home births gone wrong is enough for me to not recommend them. Yes, things happen in hospitals too, however 1 minute to wait for expert care can be one minute too long for a baby. But again, it is the choice of the mom and what she & family feel is best. If things go well, then yes that is wonderful, but it the small chance things may not, and I would not want to live with that. For me I have twins. One was born with a facial defect that was not & would not have been caught on Ultrasound or any other test, had we not been in a hospital with NICU, I would only have one child now. I was not high risk, except for the fact there were 2.

But, I will never say moms shouldn't do births at home, but please be aware things can go wrong with even full term 7 pound babies that there has not been problems all pregnancy. To me that precious cargo is just too precious to risk. I have a friend whose midwife/doula had her lie to the hospital staff that her water had only broken 15 hours earlier instead of 36, knowing the hospital would do a C-section. How is that even ethical? How is that not placing mom & baby into grave danger?

Edited by ClassicalTwins

The other side:

(and I don't want to start a debate. People have strong opinions and I respect that. It's just that when I was researching this, I never saw counter-arguments.)

Doctors induce not for convenience, but because the rate of stillbirth steadily rises at the end of pregnancy.

They recommend the hep lock or IV because getting an IV started in a hurry is horrible in case of emergency c-section or hemorrhage. If you hemorrhage, it is harder to start an IV because the blood goes to vital organs and there isn't as much in the extremities. Hemorrhage can happen really quickly, and risk of hemorrhage goes up with the more babies you have had.

"The hospital is only 5 minutes away." I've done a home birth transport, and they are way slower than you would think. We weren't planning on a hospital birth, so my bag wasn't packed. Had to pack the bag. Moving a pregnant woman heavily in labor goes reeeeallly slowly. In our case, we lived 20 minutes from the hospital but it took me 2 hours to get there.

The other problem with "only 5 minutes away" is that for a baby, time is oxygen which is brain cells. If the baby goes into distress, which can happen unexpectedly, the baby needs to get out now or risk death or brain damage.

"Why? Because women sue." But they only can sue if they get a bad outcome: i.e. dead or brain damaged baby. Doctors and hospitals do these things to help the greatest number of women get a healthy baby.

I've never heard of having to use a bed pan. That seems pretty weird. Was your baby high/not engaged?

Valid points....however...

Doctors induce not for convenience, but because the rate of stillbirth steadily rises at the end of pregnancy.

If the majority of docs used that as the reason, many of them wouldn't be inducing before dates. There are some hospitals who have had to implement protocol stating that docs can't induce a women before dates unless there is a valid medical reason.

Moving a pregnant woman heavily in labor goes reeeeallly slowly.

Not if you really do need to get out quickly. I've had to do an emergency transport. We moved her quick.