Menu

1st Grade LA & Phonics?

I'm looking for input on 1st grade LA. We're currently enrolled in a 3/2 school where my dd is working through Abeka AK5 and the 1st grade reading program for kindergarten. We'll be homeschooling full time next year and I'm not sure if I need a phonics program with the other curriculum I'm planning to use. I don't know what reading level she's at, but she's able to read books such as Little House on the Prairie. Will FLL, WWE, and AAS Level 1 give her enough of a foundation and challenge in LA for 1st grade ?

I'd appreciate any advice or experience you're willing to share.:001_smile:

I would say that if she can read the Little House books, then AAS will give you enough phonics that she won't need further instruction. I think AAS is good for cementing those rules, and it sounds like she has basic decoding and fluency down. I don't know what she covered through Abeka, but FLL 1 is pretty simple. I think it is still a good place to start, though, even if she goes through it pretty quickly. It works nicely alongside WWE.